Off-topic: internet connection using the mobile

Off-topic: internet connection using the mobile

Sauro Cesaretti-5
Hello everyone,

First of all, I'm sorry for the request but since I'm following the list I really think that there'll be somebody that can help me for this question.
I'm an italian student and my girlfriend is filipina.
we are planning to visit philippines in august and i'll surely need an iternet connection there.
I was thinking to use my mobile and my pc .
Could you suggest me which is the best mobile operator for prices and quality?
what are the prices more or less?
I'll be in Cebu.
thank you very much in advance and sorry again
Regards, Sauro

Re: Off-topic: internet connection using the mobile

Jerome Gotangco-2
Hi Sauro,

The rates of the major mobile operators are almost the same. The
tariff is usually 10 pesos for 30 minutes GPRS/UMTS/HSDPA. If you have
an unlocked phone, you can just a prepaid sim and tether to your PC or
via Bluetooth. This should also work in Ubuntu depending on your
connection settings to the phone.

These links might help:

http://smart.com.ph/buddy/services/mobileinternet.htm

http://mobilityph.blogspot.com/2008/04/globe-mobile-internet-php5-for-15-mins.html

There is also a 3rd player named Sun Cellular but the coverage is not
that wide compared to Smart or Globe. In Cebu, I've had good
experience with using Smart.

Jerome

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 9:25 PM, Sauro
Cesaretti<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> First of all, I'm sorry for the request but since I'm following the list
> I really think that there'll be somebody that can help me for this question.
> I'm an italian student and my girlfriend is filipina.
> we are planning to visit philippines in august and i'll surely need an
> iternet connection there.
> I was thinking to use my mobile and my pc .
> Could you suggest me which is the best mobile operator for prices and
> quality?
> what are the prices more or less?
> I'll be in Cebu.
> thank you very much in advance and sorry again
> Regards, Sauro

Jerome G.

Pinoy Tech Podcast: http://www.pinoytechpodcast.com
Blog: http://blog.gotangco.com

Re: Off-topic: internet connection using the mobile

Ramon Sampang-2
Sauro,

globe has a new product called Globe Tatoo, I haven't tried it yet but it looks promising, it provides Wireless Internet connection using a USB drive. I think it is around P 1,900/month