Openbox quite messed up on Ubuntu 16.04, need sample config files..

Openbox quite messed up on Ubuntu 16.04, need sample config files..

M. Fioretti-2
..or so it seems on my own computer, at least.

I used openbox a lot years ago, customizing it with pipe menus and other
stuff as I needed, then migrated to other window managers. This week I
wanted to try it again, so installed openbox, obmenu etc.. but:

the openbox root menu is almost empty,  and I haven't found any
*working* way to make it display the same menus of applications that
kde, enlightenment etc... on the same machine load without problems.

obmenu / obm-xdg  are not working as expected, tutorials found online
don't work..

I cannot 100% exclude that I messed up something during recent installs
and upgrades, but I have a very strong feeling that something *is* quite
broken/missing/outdated/whatever, in the "openbox in Ubuntu" docs or
packages.

For the moment, though, the only question I have is:

is anybody here who is successfully using openbox on Ubuntu 16.04 (or
even 18.04), and who could email me off list all the related, WORKING
configuration files? So I can test them on my box, and figure out what
went wrong?

Thanks in advance for the config files, and any other feedback you may
have,

Marco

--
http://mfioretti.com

SOLVED: Openbox quite messed up on Ubuntu 16.04, need sample config files..

M. Fioretti-2
On 2018-10-03 09:58, M. Fioretti wrote:

> the openbox root menu is almost empty,  and I haven't found any
> *working* way to make it display the same menus of applications...

installing manually the menu and menu-xdg packages fixed this. No idea
why they were not pulled in automatically when I installed openbox...

Marco
--
http://mfioretti.com