Quantcast

Opening pdf attachment from mail client not working

Opening pdf attachment from mail client not working

Luqman-3
hi,

mail client: mutt

I have problem opening pdf files directory from my mail client. Saving
pdf attachments and then opening works fine.

Mail client shows following mime type for the attachment:

[-- Typ: application/pdf, Kodierung: base64, Größe: 130K --]

$mypc:> cat /etc/mailcap | grep pdf
application/pdf; evince '%s'; test=test -n "$DISPLAY" ; nametemplate=%s.pdf

I am clueless. Can someone give an advice...

Luqman

Re: Opening pdf attachment from mail client not working

Ozgur Karatas-3
Hello Luqman,
PDF reader package installed your system ?

$apt-get install acroread
$apt-cache search acroread

.

Re: Opening pdf attachment from mail client not working

Luqman-3
hi,

> Ozgur Karatas wanted us to know:

>Hello Luqman,
>PDF reader package installed your system ?
>
>$apt-get install acroread
>$apt-cache search acroread
>
>> I have problem opening pdf files directory from my mail client. Saving
>> pdf attachments and then opening works fine.

As stated above, I can open _and_ view pdf files when they are stored in
a file.

The problem is with mailcap or mail system in general...??

Luqman

Re: Opening pdf attachment from mail client not working

ben darby
* Luqman wrote:

> mail client: mutt
>
> I have problem opening pdf files directory from my mail client. Saving
> pdf attachments and then opening works fine.
>
> Mail client shows following mime type for the attachment:
>
> [-- Typ: application/pdf, Kodierung: base64, Größe: 130K --]
>
> $mypc:> cat /etc/mailcap | grep pdf
> application/pdf; evince '%s'; test=test -n "$DISPLAY" ; nametemplate=%s.pdf
>
> I am clueless. Can someone give an advice...
is evince in your terminals path? try using its full path
/usr/bin/evince & try opening it with 'm' in the attachments section to
force the viewing with mailcap, other than that im not sure as it works
fine here.

--
ben darby

Re: Opening pdf attachment from mail client not working

Erik Christiansen
On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 07:21:42PM +0100, Luqman wrote:

> The problem is with mailcap or mail system in general...??

Sounds like it. This is what I have in my /etc/mailcap:

application/pdf; /usr/bin/xpdf '%s'; test=test "$DISPLAY" != "";
description=Portable Document Format; nametemplate=%s.pdf

application/x-pdf; /usr/bin/xpdf '%s'; test=test "$DISPLAY" != "";
description=Portable Document Format; nametemplate=%s.pdf

That should be just two lines, but I've wrapped them, for your
confusion. ;-)    They work well for me. I tried evince, but found xpdf
easier to use.

Incidentally, if you should ever encounter any pdf reader which allows
typing in a path to the "Save As" dialogue (rather than imprisoning the
user in a clicky - click nightmare crawling up and down directory
hirerachies), then please take pity, and save me from this sadistically
laborious gui-ism.

Erik

Re: Opening pdf attachment from mail client not working

Luqman-3
> ben darby wanted us to know:

>* Luqman wrote:
>> mail client: mutt
>>
>> I have problem opening pdf files directory from my mail client. Saving
>> pdf attachments and then opening works fine.
>>
>> Mail client shows following mime type for the attachment:
>>
>> [-- Typ: application/pdf, Kodierung: base64, Größe: 130K --]
>>
>> $mypc:> cat /etc/mailcap | grep pdf
>> application/pdf; evince '%s'; test=test -n "$DISPLAY" ; nametemplate=%s.pdf
>>
>> I am clueless. Can someone give an advice...
>
>is evince in your terminals path? try using its full path
>/usr/bin/evince & try opening it with 'm' in the attachments section to
>force the viewing with mailcap, other than that im not sure as it works
>fine here.

It seems to be a subtle problem. I have a pdf attachment that is being
recognized as pdf:

[-- Anhang #2: nssim.pdf --]
[-- Typ: application/pdf, Kodierung: base64, Größe: 368K --]

Another pdf attachment is seen as an octet-stream in mutt:

[-- Anhang #2: spectsFinal.pdf --]
[-- Typ: application/octet-stream, Kodierung: base64, Größe: 465K --]

Sometimes pdf files are openend with evince in mutt, and sometimes
evince opens and shows only empty pages.
I also observed following error when opening pdf attachments:

Failed to load document (error 3) 'file:///tmp/overview.pdf'

I think my system is really broken << Edgy installed. Will try to open
these email attachments in dapper, that's still installed on my laptop in another
partition.

Luqman

Re: Opening pdf attachment from mail client not working

Claudio Clemens
2006-11-30, 17:19 +0100, Luqman:

> > ben darby wanted us to know:
>
> >* Luqman wrote:
> >> mail client: mutt
> >>
> >> I have problem opening pdf files directory from my mail client. Saving
> >> pdf attachments and then opening works fine.
> >>
> >> Mail client shows following mime type for the attachment:
> >>
> >> [-- Typ: application/pdf, Kodierung: base64, Größe: 130K --]
> >>
> >> $mypc:> cat /etc/mailcap | grep pdf
> >> application/pdf; evince '%s'; test=test -n "$DISPLAY" ; nametemplate=%s.pdf
> >>
> >> I am clueless. Can someone give an advice...
> >
> >is evince in your terminals path? try using its full path
> >/usr/bin/evince & try opening it with 'm' in the attachments section to
> >force the viewing with mailcap, other than that im not sure as it works
> >fine here.
> >

> It seems to be a subtle problem. I have a pdf attachment that is being
> recognized as pdf:
>
> [-- Anhang #2: nssim.pdf --]
> [-- Typ: application/pdf, Kodierung: base64, Größe: 368K --]
>
> Another pdf attachment is seen as an octet-stream in mutt:
I bet this attachment can be viewed without problems

> [-- Anhang #2: spectsFinal.pdf --]
> [-- Typ: application/octet-stream, Kodierung: base64, Größe: 465K --]

But this one will fail.

> Sometimes pdf files are openend with evince in mutt, and sometimes
> evince opens and shows only empty pages.
> I also observed following error when opening pdf attachments:
>
> Failed to load document (error 3) 'file:///tmp/overview.pdf'
>
> I think my system is really broken << Edgy installed. Will try to open
> these email attachments in dapper, that's still installed on my laptop in another
> partition.

Actually the system is broken... but not at your side. The problem is
that, mutt doesn't guess if the attached file is a pdf, or gif, or
whatever. This invormation comes from the mailing Program of the sender.
So if they use a good program, it will write in the mail, that the file
is a pdf "application/pdf". If they use a broken program, it just write
in the Mail, "This is data". "application/octet-stream" can be anything.
So thats why mutt don't know how to handle octet-stream. (or mailcap, or
whatever).

What you can do is: go to the given attachment, and press CTRL+"e",
and edit the Content-Type to a better MIME-Type. In your case just
"application/pdf"

Now you should be able to view the attachment.

HTH,

Claudio
--
+- .''`. ---| Dipl.-Inf. Univ. Claudio Clemens |------| Sarge |-------+
| : :' :      asturio at gmx (.) net           GNU/Linux User #79942  |