Opinions on hosting translated documentation

Opinions on hosting translated documentation

Matthew East
Hi all,

Recently I've been thinking about the hosting of translated
ubuntu-specific documentation. It hasn't been translated yet, so it's
still early days, but it's nice to think about these things early.

Jordi suggested hosting all the translated documentation on the
documentation website[1] and I think this is quite a good idea. It would
mean that we could set up that website to default to the user's
browser-defined language, and the other major advantage to that would be
that the link in System -> Help -> Online Documentation would point at
documentation in the user's local language.

[1] http://help.ubuntu.com/6.04/

The technical difficulties of doing this are pretty minimal (the largest
one will probably be that we might need a better server for that
website).

The disadvantage might be that a number of teams host documentation on
their own local website (ubuntu-cc.org) and may wish to have the
documentation there. Another disadvantage is that the main Ubuntu
website is not localised, so localising help.ubuntu.com might look
strange.

So for those reason I'd like to hear people's views on this. An obvious
solution might be to host the translated documentation on
help.ubuntu.com, and locoteams can mirror it on their own websites. I
think I'd probably be in favour of doing this.

Let me know what you think.

Matt
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF

Re: Opinions on hosting translated documentation

Petr Tomeš
Hi all,

the Czech Ubuntu Team support these idea, because it will lead to
easily available documentation (and links to Czech forum and mailing
list) to every user of Czech version, even if user won't know about
official Czech website (Ubuntu.cz). It would be nice, if we can
provide basic translation of Ubuntu.com homesite too, because users of
shipit CD can visit the presented url ubuntu.com on CD to find some
more information in their language (some of them don't know about
local site Ubuntu.cz). One of important reasons to do that is also
easily and quickly available translated release notes to users of
LiveCD, who thinking about to install Ubuntu to their computer. It
wouldn't be much work for loco teams.

I am looking forward to see comments and opinions of other loco teams
and discussing details.

Petr Tomeš,
Ubuntu CZ - http://www.ubuntu.cz/

On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 13:49 +0100, Matthew East wrote:

> Jordi suggested hosting all the translated documentation on the
> documentation website[1] and I think this is quite a good idea. It would
> mean that we could set up that website to default to the user's
> browser-defined language, and the other major advantage to that would be
> that the link in System -> Help -> Online Documentation would point at
> documentation in the user's local language.
>
> [1] http://help.ubuntu.com/6.04/

Sorry, dud link, replace with real version number:
http://help.ubuntu.com/6.06

gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF