Quantcast

Ot - computer won't boot

Re: Ot - computer won't boot

Liam Proven
On 19 March 2017 at 17:37, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We forgot to mention that there is just one thing I wouldn't unplug. I
> wouldn't touch the CPU and CPU fan. When assembling CPU and CPU fan,
> then new heatsink paste is needed and often new heatsink paste smells
> bad forever. The original heat paste from CPU vendors usually doesn't
> smell, that's why only would touch the CPU if necessary.

Good point.

Re: Ot - computer won't boot

Joel Rees
On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 1:37 AM, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We forgot to mention that there is just one thing I wouldn't unplug. I
> wouldn't touch the CPU and CPU fan. When assembling CPU and CPU fan,
> then new heatsink paste is needed and often new heatsink paste smells
> bad forever. The original heat paste from CPU vendors usually doesn't
> smell, that's why only would touch the CPU if necessary.

I once had a PC whose problem was the CPU assembly itself. One of the
clamps to hold the heatsink to the CPU had a screw broken, apparently
from the factory. The heatsink grease was dry and hard.

I debated getting some heatsink grease and an appropriate screw for
the clamp, but decided the probability of the CPU being permanently
damaged was too high. And it was an Intel CPU, ...

--
Joel Rees

I'm imagining I'm a novelist:
http://joel-rees-economics.blogspot.com/2017/01/soc500-00-00-toc.html