Out of Space

Re: Out of Space

Gene Heskett-2
On Sunday 07 August 2016 17:42:10 Oliver Grawert wrote:

> hi,
>
> On So, 2016-08-07 at 22:27 +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
> >

> > As I understand it, the location of the kernel was important in the
> > early days of Linux when we used LILO (and disk space was counted in
> > MB,
> > not GB/TB). Nowadays the kernel is loaded by GRUB2 which reads the
> > file
> > system and should find the kernel at any position on the disk [1].
>
> well, "nowadays" you would probably also just be clever enough to use
> a GPT and not have to deal with stuff like primary or extended
> partitions ...
> MSDOS partition tables are an anachronism from the last century ...
>
> ;)
>
> ciao
> oli

And what tool can do that so that an installer can see it and use it?
The last issue of gparted I pulled and burned about a year ago now, has
no idea about this top secret GPT partitioning method I see referenced
but never a mention of what disk preparation tool does this...

Thanks Oli.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: Out of Space

Colin Law
On 8 August 2016 at 10:20, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> With todays installers, how can you make it use an already prepared,
> labeled and formatted disk? Thats a trick I have never seen done.

When asked where to install select "Something Else" then you can
choose what you want with each partition.  If you leave the Format
checkbox unticked it will not format that partition.

Colin

Re: Out of Space

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Montag, den 08.08.2016, 05:26 -0400 schrieb Gene Heskett:

> And what tool can do that so that an installer can see it and use it?

ubiquity (the graphical installer) and debian-installer (the text mode
installer), both support GPT (else secure-boot installs would not work,
where GPT is a hard requirement), not sure about gparted, i haven't
used it in years ...

on the commandline you want gdisk or sgdisk ... (the latter for
scripting, the former for interactive use)

ciao
        oli

Re: Out of Space

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Mon, 08 Aug 2016 11:34:12 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrot
>Am Montag, den 08.08.2016, 05:26 -0400 schrieb Gene Heskett:
>> And what tool can do that so that an installer can see it and use
>> it?
>
>not sure about gparted

http://voz.vn/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/3-521x350-custom.PNG

"Yes It Can"

Re: Out of Space

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Montag, den 08.08.2016, 11:47 +0200 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:

> On Mon, 08 Aug 2016 11:34:12 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrot
> >
> > Am Montag, den 08.08.2016, 05:26 -0400 schrieb Gene Heskett:
> > >
> > > And what tool can do that so that an installer can see it and use
> > > it?
> > not sure about gparted
> http://voz.vn/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/3-521x350-custom.PNG
>
> "Yes It Can"

heh, and judging by the ancient WM theme it can actually since quite
some time already :)

ciao
        oli

Re: Out of Space

On 8 August 2016 at 11:26, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> And what tool can do that so that an installer can see it and use it?
> The last issue of gparted I pulled and burned about a year ago now, has
> no idea about this top secret GPT partitioning method I see referenced
> but never a mention of what disk preparation tool does this...

What Colin said. It's easy. Any partitioning tool.

GParted certainly does support GPT and I have used it, for the Time
Machine backup drive on the Mac mini I am typing on, just last month,
booted from a plain standard Ubuntu 16.04/64 installer pendrive.

It doesn't matter what partitioning tool you use -- all you do is
choose manual partitioning in the Ubiquity installer.

Email: [hidden email] • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: [hidden email] • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven

Re: Out of Space

Gene Heskett-2
On Monday 08 August 2016 05:27:29 Colin Law wrote:

> On 8 August 2016 at 10:20, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > With todays installers, how can you make it use an already prepared,
> > labeled and formatted disk? Thats a trick I have never seen done.
>
> When asked where to install select "Something Else" then you can
> choose what you want with each partition.  If you leave the Format
> checkbox unticked it will not format that partition.

But it still refuses to recognize a prepared disk, and you are still
forced to rewrite the parttition table, and may wind up with /boot being
850 gigs into the terabyte disk, and out of reach of the machines bios
to reboot to at the end of the install.

> Colin

I have done that Colin, every ubuntu install I have ever done starting
with 6-04 LTS. And become stuck in a loop, which it would not let me out
of until I gave up, restarted, and let it do as it pleased on the 4th or
5th try. I have prepared a new disk with gparted, and the *buntu
installer can't see it as anything but an unformatted, unpartitioned
drive.

IMNSHO thats BS, and the *buntu installer therefore is broken. So when
linuxcnc migrated to wheezy, that installer at least let me partition it
the way I wanted it. So all 4 machines in my home network are running
debian wheezy, very happily I might add.

Something that Just Works(TM), day in, day out is a very welcome breath
of fresh air.  Sure its an oddball setup, with a pinned RTAI patched
kernel, but it does the job I need it to do very well indeed.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: Out of Space

Colin Law
On 8 August 2016 at 17:16, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Monday 08 August 2016 05:27:29 Colin Law wrote:
>
>> On 8 August 2016 at 10:20, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > With todays installers, how can you make it use an already prepared,
>> > labeled and formatted disk? Thats a trick I have never seen done.
>>
>> When asked where to install select "Something Else" then you can
>> choose what you want with each partition.  If you leave the Format
>> checkbox unticked it will not format that partition.
>
> But it still refuses to recognize a prepared disk, and you are still
> forced to rewrite the parttition table, and may wind up with /boot being
> 850 gigs into the terabyte disk, and out of reach of the machines bios
> to reboot to at the end of the install.
>
>> Colin
>
> I have done that Colin, every ubuntu install I have ever done starting
> with 6-04 LTS. And become stuck in a loop, which it would not let me out
> of until I gave up, restarted, and let it do as it pleased on the 4th or
> 5th try. I have prepared a new disk with gparted, and the *buntu
> installer can't see it as anything but an unformatted, unpartitioned
> drive.

Well that is very odd, I have done it many times with no problems. In
fact I did it yesterday.
Are you able to replicate this and then let us examine what is going
on?  I can only imagine there is something unusual about the way you
are partitioning, but what that might be I have no idea.  The only way
to find out is for you to get to that situation so it can be analysed.

> IMNSHO thats BS, and the *buntu installer therefore is broken. So when
> linuxcnc migrated to wheezy, that installer at least let me partition it
> the way I wanted it. So all 4 machines in my home network are running
> debian wheezy, very happily I might add.

I think it is rather rude of you to say that what I have seen is BS.
As I said, I have done it many times with no problems.  The solution
is not for us to get into a slanging match but for you to get to a
state where you can demonstrate this so we can isolate where the bug
in Ubiquity is.

Colin

Re: Out of Space

Gene Heskett-2
On Monday 08 August 2016 05:34:12 Oliver Grawert wrote:

> hi,
>
> Am Montag, den 08.08.2016, 05:26 -0400 schrieb Gene Heskett:
> >
> > And what tool can do that so that an installer can see it and use
> > it?
>
> ubiquity (the graphical installer) and debian-installer (the text mode
> installer), both support GPT (else secure-boot installs would not
> work, where GPT is a hard requirement), not sure about gparted, i
> haven't used it in years ...
>
> on the commandline you want gdisk or sgdisk ... (the latter for
> scripting, the former for interactive use)
>
> ciao
> oli

Humm, neither of which is installed on any of my debian systems. It is
available in the repo's, but sgdisk is not. I have another new drive I
will put in this machine if and when linuxcnc migrates to debian 8, and
I'll have it installed to try it when that occurs. Installed now.

Thanks Oli.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: Out of Space

Gene Heskett-2
On Monday 08 August 2016 05:47:11 Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Aug 2016 11:34:12 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrot
>
> >Am Montag, den 08.08.2016, 05:26 -0400 schrieb Gene Heskett:
> >> And what tool can do that so that an installer can see it and use
> >> it?
> >
> >not sure about gparted
>
> http://voz.vn/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/3-521x350-custom.PNG
>
> "Yes It Can"

Thanks Ralf, but I do not recall being presented with that particular
choice. I'll pull and burn me a new copy just to play with.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: Out of Space

Oliver Grawert
hi,
On Mo, 2016-08-08 at 12:28 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 08 August 2016 05:34:12 Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > on the commandline you want gdisk or sgdisk ... (the latter for
> > scripting, the former for interactive use)

> Humm, neither of which is installed on any of my debian systems. It
> is
> available in the repo's, but sgdisk is not. I have another new drive
> will put in this machine if and when linuxcnc migrates to debian 8,
> and
> I'll have it installed to try it when that occurs. Installed now.

sorry, sgdisk is just an additional binary contained in the gdisk
package, it does not have its own package  ...

ciao
        oli

Re: Out of Space

Gene Heskett-2

wrote:

> >> When asked where to install select "Something Else" then you can
> >> choose what you want with each partition.  If you leave the Format
> >> checkbox unticked it will not format that partition.
> >
> > But it still refuses to recognize a prepared disk, and you are still
> > forced to rewrite the parttition table, and may wind up with /boot
> > being 850 gigs into the terabyte disk, and out of reach of the
> > machines bios to reboot to at the end of the install.
> >
> >> Colin
> >
> > I have done that Colin, every ubuntu install I have ever done
> > starting with 6-04 LTS. And become stuck in a loop, which it would
> > not let me out of until I gave up, restarted, and let it do as it
> > pleased on the 4th or 5th try. I have prepared a new disk with
> > gparted, and the *buntu installer can't see it as anything but an
> > unformatted, unpartitioned drive.
>
> Well that is very odd, I have done it many times with no problems. In
> fact I did it yesterday.

Goody. How did you do that?

> Are you able to replicate this and then let us examine what is going
> on?  I can only imagine there is something unusual about the way you
> are partitioning, but what that might be I have no idea.  The only way
> to find out is for you to get to that situation so it can be analysed.
>
> > IMNSHO thats BS, and the *buntu installer therefore is broken. So
> > when linuxcnc migrated to wheezy, that installer at least let me
> > partition it the way I wanted it. So all 4 machines in my home
> > network are running debian wheezy, very happily I might add.
>
> I think it is rather rude of you to say that what I have seen is BS.
> As I said, I have done it many times with no problems.  The solution
> is not for us to get into a slanging match but for you to get to a
> state where you can demonstrate this so we can isolate where the bug
> in Ubiquity is.
>
> Colin

My apologies for being rude, but this has been an extremely frustrating
experience since 6.04 LTS for me.

But at that stage of an install, how does one "save" the state?

No other writable storage is available when booting from optical media,
and I don't have a machine on the premises that can boot from a usb
dongle.

And, way to many keystrokes involved to write it down in longhand so you
can do a playback.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: Out of Space

Gene Heskett-2
On Monday 08 August 2016 12:35:36 Oliver Grawert wrote:

> hi,
>
> On Mo, 2016-08-08 at 12:28 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Monday 08 August 2016 05:34:12 Oliver Grawert wrote:
> >
> > > on the commandline you want gdisk or sgdisk ... (the latter for
> > > scripting, the former for interactive use)
> >
> > Humm, neither of which is installed on any of my debian systems. It
> > is
> > available in the repo's, but sgdisk is not. I have another new drive
> > will put in this machine if and when linuxcnc migrates to debian 8,
> > and
> > I'll have it installed to try it when that occurs. Installed now.
>
> sorry, sgdisk is just an additional binary contained in the gdisk
> package, it does not have its own package  ...
>
> ciao
> oli

Ah, I see, thank you.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: Out of Space

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Mon, 8 Aug 2016 17:26:45 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
>I have done it many times with no problems.

It never caused issues for me, too. Perhaps Gene misunderstands, that
we manually need to assign what directory belongs to what partition.
IIRC if we assign it manually, we are free to format or not format the
chosen partition. However, even if we chose to format a partition, it
doesn't get resized. IOW if we assign /boot to a 500 GiB partition, we
could, but don't need to format it. Assuming we are formatting it, it
will remain 500 GiB. I don't remember the exact layout of the
installer's partitioning and assignment tool. Last time I used it from
the server install ISO of 15.10 development.

I seemingly remembered correctly:

https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/install-ubuntu-mate-using-something-else-method/651

"Now select (highlight) the partition you want to use as your home and
click on "Change":

Now select "Use as" = Ext4
Format the partition = "NO" (DON'T PUT A TICK IN THE BOX!)
Mountpoint = "/home" (Forward slash and the word "home")

Click on "OK" if you are certain that the changes you just made are
correct:"

Regards,
Ralf

Re: Out of Space

On 8 August 2016 at 18:16, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> But it still refuses to recognize a prepared disk, and you are still
> forced to rewrite the parttition table, and may wind up with /boot being
> 850 gigs into the terabyte disk, and out of reach of the machines bios
> to reboot to at the end of the install.
>
>> Colin
>
> I have done that Colin, every ubuntu install I have ever done starting
> with 6-04 LTS. And become stuck in a loop, which it would not let me out
> of until I gave up, restarted, and let it do as it pleased on the 4th or
> 5th try. I have prepared a new disk with gparted, and the *buntu
> installer can't see it as anything but an unformatted, unpartitioned
> drive.

It's you.

I don't know what you're doing, Gene, but it's you.

I have installed *hundreds* of Linux distros this way, going back over
20y now. I almost never use the distro's own partitioning tool and I
never, EVER let it auto-partition unless it's a disposable VM with a
blank virtual disk that will only ever run a single OS.

I can personally attest that you can use DOS fdisk, Linux fdisk,
cfdisk, Partition Magic, GParted, and at a push even NT Disk Manager
to create your partitions and then use them in the installer with the
following distributions:
* Debian
* Red Hat Linux
* CentOS
* Fedora
* Crunchbang
* Arch
* Corel LinuxOS
* Caldera OpenLinux
* SUSE
* OpenSUSE
* SLES
* Lindows
* Linspire
* Xandros
* Mint
* Mint Debian Edition
* Mandrake
* Mandriva
* Slackware

I could go on but I've made my point. I have run every major distro
since 1995 and I have tried ALL of them on a variety of hardware as
well as VMs and _YES_, you can pre-create partitions and use them in
all of them.

Even Fedora which hates it.

The only one you can't are pre-configured servers such as SME Server,
ClarkConnect, OpenMediaVault, Smoothwall etc., where they _must_ do it
for you.

> IMNSHO  thats BS, and the *buntu installer therefore is broken.

You're wrong. I am no greenhorn myself here, Gene, I am 50 next year
and I've been using Unix systems since 1988 and I am telling you that
YOU ARE WRONG.

I am sorry, but you are wrong.

What Colin and I and a million other are describing is the truth, and
I've done it with more Linux distros than I suspect you even know
exist because that's one of the things I do: I evaluate OSes and I
write about them, for money.

I have read you describe how you can't use NetworkManager because you
do not configure your network in a proper, standards-compliant way,
and you'd rather rip out part of the network stack of your OS and
hand-wire it than reconfigure your network in correctly with, for
instance, DHCP leases permanently assigned to MAC addresses and a
local name server.

I have read you describe how you control CNC mills with Linux boxes
and need a realtime kernel *but* you also want to run a full local
Internet client stack on those machines, with a web browser etc., and
you complain that it doesn't work. No, it doesn't, because that is not
something that a sensible sysadmin would want to do. You should use
realtime systems for machine control work and not have browsers etc.
on them at all, and you should browse the web and do email on a modern
distro with the standard kernel and all current patches.

But I know that you like to do things your own way, and that is your
privilege. They're your computers, you use them as you wish. That's
fine.

But you don't get to complain that, for instance, NetworkManager is
broken when it works fine for hundreds of millions of users but your
network config is wildly non-standard. I have told you off for this
before.

And now, you are trying it again, saying that the Ubuntu install
program cannot do things that I HAVE PERSONALLY DONE WITH IT IN THE
LAST 30 DAYS.

It works fine, Gene. I have seen it with my own eyes. I've been using
this distro daily since October 2004. There has never been a release
version of Ubuntu that I have not installed. It has had problems, but
the installer 100% definitely can install onto pre-configured
partitions and it works great.

Fedora's Anaconda installer, not so much.

But Ubiquity is fine.

Email: [hidden email] • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: [hidden email] • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven

Re: Out of Space

Richard Barmann

On 08/08/2016 02:00 PM, Liam Proven wrote:

> [...]
> before.
>
> And now, you are trying it again, saying that the Ubuntu install
> program cannot do things that I HAVE PERSONALLY DONE WITH IT IN THE
> LAST 30 DAYS.
>
> It works fine, Gene. I have seen it with my own eyes. I've been using
> this distro daily since October 2004. There has never been a release
> version of Ubuntu that I have not installed. It has had problems, but
> the installer 100% definitely can install onto pre-configured
> partitions and it works great.
>
> Fedora's Anaconda installer, not so much.
>
> But Ubiquity is fine.
>

> I was trying to install the Ubuntu 16.04 and diid the format that it called for in the begining of the install and now I have: Boot from CD : error: file '/boot/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod' not found. Entering resue  mode... grub rescue>
What did I or the burned CD do?
Dick

Re: Out of Space

Gene Heskett-2
On Monday 08 August 2016 12:55:02 Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Aug 2016 17:26:45 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> >I have done it many times with no problems.
>
> It never caused issues for me, too. Perhaps Gene misunderstands, that
> we manually need to assign what directory belongs to what partition.
> IIRC if we assign it manually, we are free to format or not format the
> chosen partition. However, even if we chose to format a partition, it
> doesn't get resized. IOW if we assign /boot to a 500 GiB partition, we
> could, but don't need to format it. Assuming we are formatting it, it
> will remain 500 GiB. I don't remember the exact layout of the
> installer's partitioning and assignment tool. Last time I used it from
> the server install ISO of 15.10 development.
>
> I seemingly remembered correctly:
>
> https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/install-ubuntu-mate-using-something-el
>se-method/651
>
> "Now select (highlight) the partition you want to use as your home and
> click on "Change":
>
> Now select "Use as" = Ext4
> Format the partition = "NO" (DON'T PUT A TICK IN THE BOX!)
> Mountpoint = "/home" (Forward slash and the word "home")
>
> Click on "OK" if you are certain that the changes you just made are
> correct:"
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

So what do I do when, after prepping the disk the way I want it,
partition names assigned and already formatted to ext4, IOW the whole
maryann and the installer still sees it as a terabyte of unpartitioned
disk?  Or whatever size the disk is.

fdisk can see it ok, along with a whole catalog of other prep tools.  But
not your installer, why?

Seems like a perfectly valid question to me.  I have made that statement
several times over this and perhaps 10 other installer related threads
previously over the last 7 or 8 years, and its the one question that
seems to be very studiously ignored by all.  And I don't feel like we
are doing anything more than wasting bandwidth arguing back and forth
over it until that question IS answered.

I have a new LR drive tire installed on my elderly rider, and I have
grass over a foot tall.  When I next sit down to read the mail, perhaps
someone can explain to me what causes this.  But it will be a few hours.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: Out of Space

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Mon, 8 Aug 2016 15:04:58 -0400, Barmann wrote:
>> I was trying to install the Ubuntu 16.04 and diid the format that it
>> called for in the begining of the install and now I have: Boot from
>> CD : error: file '/boot/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod' not found. Entering
>> resue  mode... grub rescue>
>What did I or the burned CD do?

That's strange, this shouldn't happen.

Are you talking about the Ubuntu or Kubuntu ISO or about a GParted
media?

The Ubuntu/Kubuntu ISO don't fit on a CD, you need to burn a DVD.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: Out of Space

Colin Law
On 8 August 2016 at 20:28, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So what do I do when, after prepping the disk the way I want it,
> partition names assigned and already formatted to ext4, IOW the whole
> maryann and the installer still sees it as a terabyte of unpartitioned
> disk?  Or whatever size the disk is.

Take a photo of the screen showing that, and also post what gparted or
something similar shows.

Colin

Re: Out of Space

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Mon, 2016-08-08 at 21:11 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> On 8 August 2016 at 20:28, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > So what do I do when, after prepping the disk the way I want it,
> > partition names assigned and already formatted to ext4, IOW the whole
> > maryann and the installer still sees it as a terabyte of unpartitioned
> > disk?  Or whatever size the disk is.
>
> Take a photo of the screen showing that, and also post what gparted or
> something similar shows.

Please, we should stop hijacking Richard's thread. Let's continue here:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2016-August/286739.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2016-August/286742.html

Regards,
Ralf