Outlook installation

Pin2
Dear team,

I am using Ubuntu 18.04 and wanted to use ms outlook!  Is it possible??

Regards
Pin2

Re: Outlook installation

Liam Proven
On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 at 08:11, Pin2 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear team,
>
> I am using Ubuntu 18.04 and wanted to use ms outlook!  Is it possible??

There are several possible answers.

[1] No, not natively. Use the web version instead.

[2] You could try to run it using WINE. This may work; I use it to run
Word 97 and Word 2003 on my machines, because LibreOffice doesn't have
an outliner. (And the control keys for the menus don't work in LO on
Ubuntu, making it painful to use for me)

[3] If normal free WINE doesn't work, try CrossOver Office.

[4] If even CrossOver can't run the version you want, then run a
Windows VM in Virtualbox (or other hypervisor) and install Outlook in
there. But this means all of the performance and security problems of
real Windows.)

Re: Outlook installation

Peter Flynn
On 10/04/2019 08:47, Liam Proven wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 at 08:11, Pin2 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Dear team,
>>
>> I am using Ubuntu 18.04 and wanted to use ms outlook!  Is it possible??
>
> There are several possible answers.

If what you need is a mail client that connects to the Exchange
protocols (as opposed to some specific feature of the Outlook
interface), there is an excellent replacement interface for Outlook
called Hiri (hiri.com). I use this all the time in Linux to do my O365
mail. Free trial period, then something like €35 a year I think, so it
is regular commercial software, but IMHO it's good enough to warrant it.

Otherwise as Liam describes...

> [1] No, not natively. Use the web version instead.
>
> [2] You could try to run it using WINE. This may work; I use it to run
> Word 97 and Word 2003 on my machines, because LibreOffice doesn't have
> an outliner. (And the control keys for the menus don't work in LO on
> Ubuntu, making it painful to use for me)
>
> [3] If normal free WINE doesn't work, try CrossOver Office.
>
> [4] If even CrossOver can't run the version you want, then run a
> Windows VM in Virtualbox (or other hypervisor) and install Outlook in
> there. But this means all of the performance and security problems of
> real Windows.)

Re: Outlook installation

Karl Auer
On Wed, 2019-04-10 at 11:39 +0530, Pin2 wrote:
> I am using Ubuntu 18.04 and wanted to use ms outlook!  Is it
> possible??

Anything is *possible*, it just depends on how much pain you want to
inflict on yourself. Various methods include:

- run it in a virtual running Windows
- run it in WINE (probably won't work)
- dual boot into Windows for when you want to do email

To be perfectly honest, the real answer is probably "no". Not if you
want to run it on Linux in any meaningful way. If there are specific
features of Outlook that you need, that no other mail client can give
you, then you are probably stuck with running it on Windows. Or use the
OWA web client.

Linux has a plethora of excellent mail clients, and there are a zillion
web clients. Ten minutes talking to Uncle Google will turn up a dozen
options for you to try.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: 8D08 9CAA 649A AFEF E862 062A 2E97 42D4 A2A0 616D
Old fingerprint: A0CD 28F0 10BE FC21 C57C 67C1 19A6 83A4 9B0B 1D75

Re: Outlook installation

Liam Proven
On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 at 10:51, Karl Auer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> - run it in WINE (probably won't work)

I confess I've not tried Outlook but some of Office works surprisingly well.

I run Word 97 and 2003 for good reasons. 97 is the oldest (= smallest,
fastest, simplest) version that supports the version 2 .DOC file
format. It runs like lightning on C21 PCs. It works perfectly on WINE:
all the service releases and optional features can be installed and
work fine.

Word 2003 is the last version with the traditional UI. I find later
versions (with the Ribbon) unusable. It too works flawlessly under
CrossOver Office, including updates and service releases, and add-ons
like the Office 2007 file convertors. But I couldn't get it to install
on free WINE

Word 2000, OTOH, I could only install with difficulty and I couldn't
get the service packs to install.

So it depends on version. Old versions are more likely to work.

> Linux has a plethora of excellent mail clients, and there are a zillion
> web clients. Ten minutes talking to Uncle Google will turn up a dozen
> options for you to try.

Agreed.

Notably, GNOME Evolution is quite Outlook-like in operation and I
think it has a connector plugin for Exchange, but this requires either
MAPI or OWA (or both) to be installed/enabled on the Exchange server.

I know from my own experience -- I was a certified Exchange admin
once, in a more painful stage of my career -- that it's a very fragile
and super-complex program, and as such, Exchange admins do not like it
when users ask for server config changes just so that said user can
run a weird nonstandard client OS. ;-)

Re: Outlook installation

Tony Arnold-3
On Wed, 2019-04-10 at 11:35 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:

Notably, GNOME Evolution is quite Outlook-like in operation and I
think it has a connector plugin for Exchange, but this requires either
MAPI or OWA (or both) to be installed/enabled on the Exchange server.

Evolution certainly does work with Exchange. I use it all the time with our Exchange 2010 system at work.
It needs the EWS (Exchange Web Services) plugin (package evolution-ews) to work. It has its quirks but works
really well for me.

And I didn't ask our Exchange admins to make any changes to accommodate my needs. I wouldn't
dare!

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold MBCS, CITP | Senior IT Security Analyst | Directorate of IT Services | G64, Kilburn Building | The University of Manchester | Manchester M13 9PL | T: +44 161 275 6093 | M: +44 773 330 0039

Re: Outlook installation

Mike Marchywka

Is there anything I can use to download my hotmail? I've recently become
aware that hotmail uses about 200-300M just to display maybe 50 text subject
line in chromium even before spawning off another 100-200M of ad subframes.
On a system with less than a Gb of memory this means nothing runs. I guess I could
just say I need more memory but it is annoying not having any idea what it could possibly
do usefully with all that memory especially when the "mail" command and text ads would
work better. I have an old 'dohs install with outlook 2007 and "outlook connector" and
want to download all my mail but it never seems to work reliably.

>I know from my own experience -- I was a certified Exchange admin
>once, in a more painful stage of my career -- that it's a very fragile
>and super-complex program, and as such, Exchange admins do not like it
>when users ask for server config changes just so that said user can
>run a weird nonstandard client OS. ;-)
>

>--
>Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
>Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
>Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
>UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053
>
>--

note new address
 Mike Marchywka 306 Charles Cox Drive Canton, GA 30115
 2295 Collinworth  Drive Marietta GA 30062.  formerly 487 Salem Woods Drive Marietta GA 30067 404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message 989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency

Re: Outlook installation

Liam Proven
(Please could you trim your replies a bit more? It would *really* help
readability...)

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 at 12:11, Mike Marchywka <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there anything I can use to download my hotmail? I've recently become
> aware that hotmail uses about 200-300M just to display maybe 50 text subject
> line in chromium even before spawning off another 100-200M of ad subframes.
> On a system with less than a Gb of memory this means nothing runs. I guess I could
> just say I need more memory but it is annoying not having any idea what it could possibly
> do usefully with all that memory especially when the "mail" command and text ads would
> work better. I have an old 'dohs install with outlook 2007 and "outlook connector" and
> want to download all my mail but it never seems to work reliably.

Sure, the settings are widely publicised:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/oemail-oapps/imap-smtp-servers-for-hotmailcom/76e2f1b6-b01d-4686-9640-5760c322063e

This one also reminds you that you need to enable IMAP/POP3 access
inside Hotmail itself first:

https://www.betterhostreview.com/hotmail-pop-imap-smtp-settings.html

Or:

https://www.limilabs.com/blog/hotmail-imap-pop3-smtp-settings

I just Googled "hotmail imap settings".

Me personally, I have Gmail retrieve my Hotmail (and Yahoo mail) into
labelled folders using POP3. This means 2 levels of spam filtering,
another bonus.

Then on my Mac, the default Mail.app synchs my Gmail inbox to a local
copy in case of disaster...

Re: Outlook installation

On Wed, 2019-04-10 at 09:47 +0000, Tony Arnold wrote:
> Evolution certainly does work with Exchange. I use it all the time with our Exchange 2010 system at work.
> It needs the EWS (Exchange Web Services) plugin (package evolution-ews) to work. It has its quirks but works
> really well for me.

Hi,

as an Evolution user subscribed to
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list I need to chime
in.

Note, I'm not an evolution-ews user. However, those evolution-ews
"quirks" are a showstopper for some users, apart from this Evolution is
known to be not well supported for Ubuntu flavours. Evolution is not in
"main", it is in "universe". Software from "universe" not necessarily
suffers from serious issues, but actually Evolution does so, again and
again.

YMMV! But the Evolution mailing list archives confirms my claim, let
alone that I speak from personal experience. On Ubuntu I'm using Claws,
I'm using Evolution on Arch Linux.

Instead of doing other users homework by searching the Evolution mailing
list archives, here a link to the mailing list archive of this list:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2019-April/296601.html

If this is caused by evolution-ews, than already good night! Were is the
end of quoting Liam and where does start Tony's reply? I guess nobody
want's to correspond with business partners by sending broken emails.

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 09:47:20 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:

>On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 at 08:11, Pin2 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Dear team,
>>
>> I am using Ubuntu 18.04 and wanted to use ms outlook!  Is it
>> possible??
>
>There are several possible answers.
>
>[1] No, not natively. Use the web version instead.
>
>[2] You could try to run it using WINE. This may work; I use it to run
>Word 97 and Word 2003 on my machines, because LibreOffice doesn't have
>an outliner. (And the control keys for the menus don't work in LO on
>Ubuntu, making it painful to use for me)

I'm using wine/wine-staging to run an editor for my guitar synth. It
works like a charm. It once gets broken, when wine/wine-staging was
updated to a new release, something that doesn't happen within an Ubuntu
release. While this didn't happen on Ubuntu, it could happen when
updating to another Ubuntu release.
Way more problematic could become an update of the Windows executable.
An advantage of the guitar synth editor is, that I don't need to update
the guitar synth editor. To fix security issues, somebody using Outlook
needs to update Outlook on a regular basis. Each update of software that
runs using wine, might not run anymore after an update.

>[3] If normal free WINE doesn't work, try CrossOver Office.
>
>[4] If even CrossOver can't run the version you want, then run a
>Windows VM in Virtualbox (or other hypervisor) and install Outlook in
>there. But this means all of the performance and security problems of
>real Windows.)

In addition the Windows guest suffers from VirtualBox related
performance issues, too and some software, such as the guitar synth
editor can't access the hardware in the needed way, when using
VirtualBox. I run iTunes using a Windows 7 guest. Apart from the
performance and security issues, even VirtualBox could fail after an
VirtualBox update, but at least the software running under the guest OS
is less prone to fail after a guest software security update. Anyway, I
recommend to test Virtualbox. I don't see why wine should be more
secure, let alone that VirtualBox allows to restore the Windows install
from snapshots and from a Linux host backup (as wine does, too). If you
really need Outlook, consider to test VirtualBox with a Windows guest.
VirtualBox is not the best optimized virtual machine, but the most user-
friendly virtual machine and for many tasks a virtual machine could be
way better than using wine/wine-staging.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: Outlook installation

10 April 2019  at 18:49, Karl Auer wrote:
Re: Outlook installation (at least in part)

>Ten minutes talking to Uncle Google will turn up a dozen options for you to
>try.

Or DuckDuckGo i fyou find Google tooooooo invasive ;->)

Re: Outlook installation

Liam Proven
On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 at 14:09, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Or DuckDuckGo i fyou find Google tooooooo invasive ;->)

There is that, yes, but TBH trying not to use Google at all is
basically impossible.

Q.v.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2019/04/09/heres-the-shocking-reality-of-completely-blocking-google-from-your-life

Re: Outlook installation

Tony Arnold-3
Ralf,

On Wed, 2019-04-10 at 12:44 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:

> Instead of doing other users homework by searching the Evolution
> mailing
> list archives, here a link to the mailing list archive of this list:
>
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2019-April/296601.html
>

> If this is caused by evolution-ews, than already good night! Were is
> the
> end of quoting Liam and where does start Tony's reply? I guess nobody
> want's to correspond with business partners by sending broken emails.

Probably caused by me sending my reply as HTML instead of plain text
and receiving systems not handling HTML mesages.

Does this one look any better?

Regards,
Tony.

Compdoc@hotrodpc.com
On 4/10/19 12:09 AM, Pin2 wrote:

> Dear team,
>
> I am using Ubuntu 18.04 and wanted to use ms outlook!  Is it possible??
>
> Regards
> Pin2

I used Outlook for about 10 years and still support it for customers. It
has some great features, but the calendar is one of the most used.

But because I use linux I needed a replacement and found that
Thunderbird runs well on Windows and Ubuntu. It has the ability to sync
its calendar with Google's calendar, so all my appointments and
reminders are using Google like an Exchange server.

Thunderbird is faster than Outlook and in some ways works better, but
you have to take some time to learn how to use the gui.

Re: Outlook installation

Liam Proven
On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 at 15:16, compdoc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I used Outlook for about 10 years and still support it for customers. It
> has some great features, but the calendar is one of the most used.

Agreed. This is the killer feature -- the integrated address book and
calendar along with email. No other company offers anything quite like
it.

> But because I use linux I needed a replacement and found that
> Thunderbird runs well on Windows and Ubuntu. It has the ability to sync
> its calendar with Google's calendar, so all my appointments and
> reminders are using Google like an Exchange server.

Agreed again.

I use Thunderbird at work, and it's connected to 2 IMAP accounts, 2
company address books via LDAP, and has a company calendar, a personal
calendar and my Google calendar.

At home I used to use it with multiple accounts: Gmail, Hotmail,
Yahoo, my 27 year old CIX account, and any ISP bundled email accounts.
The same app working identically on Linux, macOS X and Windows. I
still occasionally use it on all 3.

> Thunderbird is faster than Outlook and in some ways works better, but
> you have to take some time to learn how to use the gui.

I personally find it easier to use and understand, but it is based on
the Netscape Communicator code from 1997. It is a very "mature" app.
(I.e., it's old.) So although I find its core functionality easy,
simple and familiar, it is very feature-rich -- it is probably the
single most feature-rich email client there's ever been. So things can
be buried and hard to find.

However, it works very well. And it will talk to Exchange _if_
Exchange Server has the relevant industry-standard mail protocols
configured.

Re: Outlook installation

Peter Flynn
On 10/04/2019 10:35, Liam Proven wrote:
> I run Word 97 and 2003 for good reasons. 97 is the oldest (=
> smallest, fastest, simplest) version that supports the version 2 .DOC
> file format.

This is good if you need to read older files. 2003 was the first version
to use XML, and it used WordML rather than OOXML and saved a .xml file
instead of .docx

<rant>
I suppose just a general public warning to upgrade all your Word files
to OOXML by saving as .docx because it is at least readable by other
tools and systems, whereas the antique .doc file format will become
increasingly unreadable as time goes on.
</rant>

> Word 2003 is the last version with the traditional UI. I find later
> versions (with the Ribbon) unusable.

Yes, I'd forgotten that: that was the other difference.

> It too works flawlessly under CrossOver Office, including updates and
> service releases, and add-ons like the Office 2007 file convertors.
> But I couldn't get it to install on free WINE

It won't, alas. You do need Crossover.

> I know from my own experience -- I was a certified Exchange admin
> once, in a more painful stage of my career -- that it's a very fragile
> and super-complex program, and as such, Exchange admins do not like it
> when users ask for server config changes just so that said user can
> run a weird nonstandard client OS. ;-)

This is why I use Hiri for all my Exchange/O365 accounts. It "just
works"; it picks up your account config (signature, out-of-office
message, etc) from the server. Free it ain't, but for your $39/year or
$119/life it's cheap and reliable and runs on Linux, Macs, and Windows.

Peter

Re: Outlook installation

Peter Flynn
On 10/04/2019 13:22, Liam Proven wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 at 14:09, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Or DuckDuckGo i fyou find Google tooooooo invasive ;->)

I like DuckDuckGo but I find its ranking doesn't give me the things I
search for at the top of the (non-ad) results. Plus some sites it
clearly doesn't index at all (places I have searched for that I know
exist, but DDG claims they don't). But give it time...

Re: Outlook installation

Peter Flynn
On 10/04/2019 14:35, Liam Proven wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 at 15:16, compdoc <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I used Outlook for about 10 years and still support it for customers. It
>> has some great features, but the calendar is one of the most used.
>
> Agreed. This is the killer feature -- the integrated address book and
> calendar along with email. No other company offers anything quite like
> it.

Hiri provides it too.

FFS I sound like a walking advert :-) I just use the thing.

>> Thunderbird is faster than Outlook and in some ways works better, but
>> you have to take some time to learn how to use the gui.

I use Tbird for all my non-Exchange accounts, because it works in the
traditional manner like all other email clients do (including the
Outlook Express that used to be shipped with Windows, and maybe still
is). It does almost everything, and there are plugins for almost
everything else. Its editor is not the best, but then email editors are
universally horrible except for Emacs RMAIL :-) Tbird also makes it
trivial to move messages between accounts by dragging and dropping them.

The only thing really missing is the ability to re-thread replies that
were sent by poorly-written mailers or poorly-trained users: the ones
which pop up as new threads even though they have Re: and an existing
subject. Fortunately I still run mutt which will fix this for you.

Re: Outlook installation

10 April 2019  at 14:22, Liam Proven wrote:
Re: Outlook installation (at least in part)

>On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 at 14:09, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Or DuckDuckGo i fyou find Google tooooooo invasive ;->)
>
>There is that, yes, but TBH trying not to use Google at all is
>basically impossible.

Well "So Far" DDG has done everything I would have used google to do, and
better than google for the most part, the only point at which ddg is less
helpful has been finding a good (formated) list of tv season/episode names, but
I can live with that

Re: Outlook installation

10 April 2019  at 15:20, Peter Flynn wrote:
Re: Outlook installation (at least in part)

>On 10/04/2019 13:22, Liam Proven wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 at 14:09, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Or DuckDuckGo i fyou find Google tooooooo invasive ;->)
>
>I like DuckDuckGo but I find its ranking doesn't give me the things I
>search for at the top of the (non-ad) results. Plus some sites it
>clearly doesn't index at all (places I have searched for that I know
>exist, but DDG claims they don't). But give it time...

I found some results with ddg that google didn't (it was why I started to use
it) it "may" have been a ranking issue with google putting my results too far
down.

Re: Outlook installation

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 at 16:20, Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is good if you need to read older files. 2003 was the first version
> to use XML, and it used WordML rather than OOXML and saved a .xml file
> instead of .docx

No, that was 2007. The XML file formats go along with the Ribbon interface.

2003 is the last "old" version of Office in the WinWord 6 to Office
2003 series...

WinWord 1 (doesn't really count: weird clunky UI)
WinWord 2 (better, streamlined UI)
Office 4, with:
 - Excel 5 (the oldest Microsoft app for Windows and so the most mature)
 - Word 6 (version number bumped to bring it into line with DOS and
Mac Word; menus and toolbars harmonised with Excel)
Office 95, almost identical but 32-bit versions with a Win95 look and
feel, containing:
 - Excel 7
 - Word 7 (because they wanted all the apps to have the same version
number. Seriously!)
Office 97
 - apps v8, new square toolbar buttons, another change in look-and-feel
Office 2000
Office XP
Office 2003

That was the end of the line for the classic menus/toolbars. Then
comes Office 2007, the Ribbon and new file formats.

Which is why I stay with nothing newer than 2003 -- it has the same UI
that I've used since 1993.

> <rant>
> I suppose just a general public warning to upgrade all your Word files
> to OOXML by saving as .docx because it is at least readable by other
> tools and systems, whereas the antique .doc file format will become
> increasingly unreadable as time goes on.
> </rant>

I guess. Even 15y later, everything still seems to support .DOC -- the
MS suite, MS Works, LibreOffice/OpenOffice/IBM Symphony, Apple Pages,
etc.

In case of problems with .DOCX in Word 2003, I use LibreOffice to convert it.

> > It too works flawlessly under CrossOver Office, including updates and
> > service releases, and add-ons like the Office 2007 file convertors.
> > But I couldn't get it to install on free WINE
>
> It won't, alas. You do need Crossover.

I was afraid of that. I have one more trick to try but I'm not confident.

> This is why I use Hiri for all my Exchange/O365 accounts. It "just
> works"; it picks up your account config (signature, out-of-office
> message, etc) from the server. Free it ain't, but for your $39/year or
> $119/life it's cheap and reliable and runs on Linux, Macs, and Windows.

Fair enough. Happily my life is currently MS Exchange-free, and I hope
I can keep it that way as long as possible! :-)