PAD with ubuntu

Wesley Peng
Hello,

Is there any PAD which has ubuntu installed as default OS?
Or, can we re-install Android based PAD to ubuntu?

Thanks.

Re: PAD with ubuntu

Colin Law

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019, 04:32 Wesley Peng, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

Is there any PAD which has ubuntu installed as default OS?
Or, can we re-install Android based PAD to ubuntu?

Do you mean www.pads.com?

Colin

Thanks.

Re: PAD with ubuntu

Wesley Peng

on 2019/9/16 14:43, Colin Law wrote:

>     Is there any PAD which has ubuntu installed as default OS?
>     Or, can we re-install Android based PAD to ubuntu?
>

> Do you mean www.pads.com <http://www.pads.com>?

sorry, I meant tablet.

regards.

Re: PAD with ubuntu

ubuntu-users mailing list
There are plenty of hints, did you already google? This seems
to be a good summary,
https://www.androidauthority.com/install-ubuntu-on-your-android-smartphone-765408/
, done by a blowhard and obsessional neurotic, calling his
obsessional neurosis freedom. He even needs to take a computer with him,
when meeting friends.

If you could stand all that narcissistic self-expression, such as
somebody wearing sunglasses while making a video:

https://www.androidauthority.com/root-android-277350/

I never ever would jailbreak my iPad Pro. I bought it for the features
neither Android, nor Linux do provide. Those are pro-audio real-time
capability with professional apps from companies such as Moog working
OOTB. Android isn't real-time capable at all and Linux doesn't provide
professional garde applications such as Moog or Korg synth. The
other domain is getting a 12,9" graphic tablet with a build in screen,
without annoying latency, that allows to touch the screen with the
hand, while drawing with the pencil.

IOW if you like advantages you have seen on Android devices, you might
not necessarily gain much, if you replace Android by Linux. You might
lose all those advantages.

I've got the impression that usually cool cats break there tablet PCs,
to run another operating system, just to be cool, but seemingly they
have no real idea about professional work-flow. Who is drinking beer
while doing real work?

The thought to get a Linux desktop on a tablet computer sounds
appealing, but if you think it over, by taking the purpose into
account, you soon will become aware, that it usually doesn't make much
sense.

I've got a Linux desktop PC for desktop tasks and my tablets for tablet
related tasks. I'm using the hardware + operating system + software
that does fit to my needs. I'm sceptic regarding all-in-one devices. I
neither wash my dishes or closes with my Linux desktop PC, nor with my
Apple tablets. Some of the work I'm doing is done with my Linux PC,
other is done with my Apple tablets and some tasks are done using a
dishwasher or washing machine. The washing machine probably is using an
embedded Linux, I don't know, the dishwasher is that old, that it for
sure doesn't.

Re: PAD with ubuntu

ubuntu-users mailing list
16 September 2019  at 10:00, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
Re: PAD with ubuntu (at least in part)

>There are plenty of hints, did you already google?

I would guess (just a guess) that the OP would "like" to escape the ever
present "eye-over-your-shoulder" that comes with been tied to Google, but would
not want to be tied to M$ either?

So get a cheep Android tablet and install Ubuntu, not always easy

Re: PAD with ubuntu

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 11:20:00 +0100, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:
>I would guess (just a guess) that the OP would "like" to escape the
>ever present "eye-over-your-shoulder" that comes with been tied to
>Google

This is a good reason to replace Android with a Linux distro, assuming
Linux is able to do what the user wants and assuming that the user is
willing to take the risk, to brick the device when rooting it,
http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Features/Convert-an-Android-Device-to-Linux .

Re: PAD with ubuntu

ubuntu-users mailing list
16 September 2019  at 12:43, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
Re: PAD with ubuntu (at least in part)

>On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 11:20:00 +0100, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:
>>I would guess (just a guess) that the OP would "like" to escape the
>>ever present "eye-over-your-shoulder" that comes with been tied to
>>Google

>This is a good reason to replace Android with a Linux distro, assuming
>Linux is able to do what the user wants and assuming that the user is
>willing to take the risk, to brick the device when rooting it,
>http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Features/Convert-an-Android-Device-to-Linux .

I did say it's not easy, a lot depends on which tablet (or phone for that
matter) you start with

Re: PAD with ubuntu

Wesley Peng
Hi

on 2019/9/16 20:35, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:
> I did say it's not easy, a lot depends on which tablet (or phone for that
> matter) you start with

I have Samsung pad this one:
Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T580 10.1-Inch Touchscreen 16 GB Tablet (2 GB
Ram, Wi-Fi, Android OS, Black) Bundle with 32GB microSD Card

Thank you.

Re: PAD with ubuntu

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 20:40:26 +0800, Wesley Peng wrote:
> on 2019/9/16 20:35, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:
>
>> I did say it's not easy, a lot depends on which tablet (or phone for
>> that matter) you start with
>
> I have Samsung pad this one:
> Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T580 10.1-Inch Touchscreen 16 GB Tablet (2 GB
> Ram, Wi-Fi, Android OS, Black) Bundle with 32GB microSD Card

A linux phone has started shipping:

  https://puri.sm/posts/librem-5-shipping-announcement/

Jonesy

Re: PAD with ubuntu

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 16:50:51 -0000 (UTC), Jonesy via ubuntu-users wrote:

>On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 20:40:26 +0800, Wesley Peng wrote:
>> on 2019/9/16 20:35, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:
>>
>>> I did say it's not easy, a lot depends on which tablet (or phone
>>> for that matter) you start with
>>
>> I have Samsung pad this one:
>> Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T580 10.1-Inch Touchscreen 16 GB Tablet (2
>> GB Ram, Wi-Fi, Android OS, Black) Bundle with 32GB microSD Card
>
>A linux phone has started shipping:
>
> https://puri.sm/posts/librem-5-shipping-announcement/

A phone isn't a tablet and take a look at the price:
https://shop.puri.sm/shop/librem-5/

The OP has got a less expensive device: Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T580,
https://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/5026356_-galaxy-tab-a-10-1-samsung.html,
still expensive enough to consider, if it's worth to brick it.

Re: PAD with ubuntu

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 at 12:46, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is a good reason to replace Android with a Linux distro, assuming
> Linux is able to do what the user wants and assuming that the user is
> willing to take the risk, to brick the device when rooting it,
> http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Features/Convert-an-Android-Device-to-Linux .

Heh. Dmitri -- "Dima" -- is a colleague of mine. Nice guy, very smart
and skilled.

Wesley, to answer your question… no.

Basically there are a tiny handful of Android devices that can run
certain very specific Linux distributions usefully.

Normal desktop Linux isn't really any use on a tablet. It doesn't have
an onscreen keyboard by default, most don't support touchscreens well,
and desktop apps are almost unusable on a small screen.

There are 2 or 3 fairly usable Linuxes for touchscreen devices:

* https://ubports.com/ -- the continuation of Ubuntu Touch. See the
"devices" list for what works.

* Jolla Sailfish on the Jolla Tablet: https://jolla-devices.com/jolla-tablet/

Those are very hard to find now -- the Kickstarter failed and very few
made it to market.

Some were sold with Android as the Aigo:

* https://jolla-devices.com/aigo-tablet/

Also very hard to find but you might get lucky.

I personally was *very* disappionted when Ubuntu killed its
tablet/phone efforts. I really wanted one. I am still a little
tempted, but the hardware is too expensive new for me:

https://www.bq.com/en/aquaris-m10

But if you want a Linux tablet and don't mind a beta OS, then get one
of those -- 2nd hand if possible -- and put UBPorts on it.

As for your Samsung? I really doubt it.

A different model could run Debian:
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/linux-on-the-samsung-galaxy-tab-10-1-and-you-can-too/114142

But I think not yours.

If you are keen, start by rooting it, and then try to get Lineage OS
running. That will teach you a lot of the skills and you might prefer
using it with Lineage OS.

I did this on my PPTV King 7 and I was much happier with CyanogenMod
(the predecessor of Lineage OS).