PHP 7.4 in Focal

Bryce Harrington-8
The in-archive transition from PHP 7.3 to PHP 7.4 is complete.  I expect
PHP 7.3 will be removed from Focal soon.

PHP 7.4 is a new feature update, bringing typed properties, arrow
functions, weak references, and unpacking inside arrays among other
things.  For more information on the new features and improvements, see
the PHP 7.4 Release Announcement[0].

Deprecated features include:

  - Nested ternary operations must explicitly use parentheses to dictate
    the order of the operations. Previously, when used without
    parentheses, the left-associativity would not result in the expected
    behaviour in most cases.

  - The array and string offset access syntax using curly braces is
    deprecated. Use $var[$idx] instead of $var{$idx}.

  - The (real) cast is deprecated, use (float) instead.

  - The is_real() function is also deprecated, use is_float() instead.

  - Unbinding $this of a non-static closure that uses $this is deprecated.

  - Using parent inside a class without a parent is deprecated.

  - The allow_url_include ini directive is deprecated.

  - Passing invalid characters to base_convert(), bindec(), octdec() and
    hexdec() will now generate a deprecation notice.

  - Using array_key_exists() on objects is deprecated.

  - The following functions are deprecated:
    + get_magic_quotes_gpc()
    + get_magic_quotes_runtime()
    + hebrevc()
    + convert_cyr_string()
    + money_format()
    + ezmlm_hash()
    + restore_include_path()

For more details about deprecated functionality, and suggested
replacements, see the PHP 7.4 Deprecated Features page[1].

Migration guides to 7.4 from 7.3[2] or earlier versions of PHP are also
available in the PHP Manual.

Users coming from Ubuntu 18.04 will be moving from 7.2 to 7.4, so should
also refer to the Migration guides to 7.3 from 7.2[3]

Note as well that phpunit has been undergoing a transition from 7.5.6 to
8.5.2, which changes behavior for functionality used in some test cases.

Bryce

0: https://www.php.net/releases/7_4_0.php
1: https://www.php.net/manual/en/migration74.deprecated.php
2: https://www.php.net/manual/en/migration74.php
3: https://www.php.net/manual/en/migration73.php

Re: PHP 7.4 in Focal

Mark Shuttleworth-2
On 26/03/2020 18:47, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> The in-archive transition from PHP 7.3 to PHP 7.4 is complete.  I expect
> PHP 7.3 will be removed from Focal soon.
>
> PHP 7.4 is a new feature update, bringing typed properties, arrow
> functions, weak references, and unpacking inside arrays among other
> things.  For more information on the new features and improvements, see
> the PHP 7.4 Release Announcement[0].

Just want to say thank-you to everyone who is contributing to 20.04 LTS
with such grace under pressure. Also, a shout-out to the ways open
source is enabling rapid response in communities and between volunteers
supporting health and medical professionals globally.

Mark

Re: PHP 7.4 in Focal

Bryce Harrington-5
On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 08:32:54AM +0000, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:

> On 26/03/2020 18:47, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > The in-archive transition from PHP 7.3 to PHP 7.4 is complete.  I expect
> > PHP 7.3 will be removed from Focal soon.
> >
> > PHP 7.4 is a new feature update, bringing typed properties, arrow
> > functions, weak references, and unpacking inside arrays among other
> > things.  For more information on the new features and improvements, see
> > the PHP 7.4 Release Announcement[0].
> >

> Just want to say thank-you to everyone who is contributing to 20.04 LTS
> with such grace under pressure. Also, a shout-out to the ways open
> source is enabling rapid response in communities and between volunteers
> supporting health and medical professionals globally.

Thanks, and you're right - it's humbling and inspiring to see the
consistency of execution everyone in the company is showing right now.
20.04 is going to be an amazing release.

It was prescient to establish Canonical as a remote oriented company.
In this time of so much change, many companies are needing the same
capability right now, and it's wonderful to be part of a company that is
able to provide that expertise, and in this way help the world.

Thank you Mark, for leading us in this time of trouble, and ensuring we
have such a great place to work.

Bryce