Quantcast

PRINTER DRIVERS

Bill Stanley
Hi,

I got an old but unused printer from a friend.  I didn't want to use it
because it is a rather poor printer.  However, my primary printer died
and I want to use the printer until I get a new one.

I set the printer up and the Linux operating system identified it as
"Dell Photo 48WG71".  This identification seems right but the OS was not
able to identify what driver to use.  I visited the Dell site and they
don't even identify the printer they sold.  (It probably is old.)
Moreover, the Linux support for Dell printers is almost nonexistent.

Any suggestions on how to get the printer working?  I don't care if the
printout is very good, it just should be legible.  I just need to print
out a pdf file and a jpg file.

Re: PRINTER DRIVERS

Brian-277
On Thu 13 Apr 2017 at 12:58:03 -0400, Bill wrote:

> I got an old but unused printer from a friend.  I didn't want to use it
> because it is a rather poor printer.  However, my primary printer died and I
> want to use the printer until I get a new one.
>
> I set the printer up and the Linux operating system identified it as "Dell
> Photo 48WG71".  This identification seems right but the OS was not able to

How did you go about obtaining that identification? Post the output from
the procedure you used.

> identify what driver to use.  I visited the Dell site and they don't even
> identify the printer they sold.  (It probably is old.)  Moreover, the Linux
> support for Dell printers is almost nonexistent.

We assumme you are using a USB connection. Give the output of 'lsusb'
with the printer plugged in and turned on.

--
Brian.

Re: PRINTER DRIVERS

Bill Stanley

On 04/13/2017 03:33 PM, Brian wrote:

> On Thu 13 Apr 2017 at 12:58:03 -0400, Bill wrote:
>
>> I got an old but unused printer from a friend.  I didn't want to use it
>> because it is a rather poor printer.  However, my primary printer died and I
>> want to use the printer until I get a new one.
>>
>> I set the printer up and the Linux operating system identified it as "Dell
>> Photo 48WG71".  This identification seems right but the OS was not able to
> How did you go about obtaining that identification? Post the output from
> the procedure you used.

WS=> I am using the Mate desktop and it is a GUI setup.  The model
number printed on the printer is a Dell Photo Printer 720. The procedure is:

1. Go to Menu item System / Administration / Printers

2. Choose Add.  (I deleted my old printer so there were no other printers)

3. The choices offered were
     a. Dell Photo (48WGF71)  -  description is "A printer connected to
a USB port"
     b. Enter URI
     c. Network Printer

4. I chose a and clicked on "FORWARD"

5.  Dell was one of the choices but this printer was not one of the
choices.
     (No surprise here because Dell printers have poor Linux support.)

     I tried Generic printer but none of the choices offered worked.

>> identify what driver to use.  I visited the Dell site and they don't even
>> identify the printer they sold.  (It probably is old.)  Moreover, the Linux
>> support for Dell printers is almost nonexistent.
> We assumme you are using a USB connection. Give the output of 'lsusb'
> with the printer plugged in and turned on.

WS=> Yes, it is a USB 2 connection.

Re: PRINTER DRIVERS

Steve Reilly-2

WS=> Yes, it is a USB 2 connection.

i had a similiar problem years ago.  Dell inkjets are rebranded lexmarks.  I would research that path... i believe cups or openprinting website could help.  pretty sure you need to use a lexmark driver

Re: PRINTER DRIVERS

Brian-277
On Thu 13 Apr 2017 at 17:27:23 -0400, Bill wrote:

> On 04/13/2017 03:33 PM, Brian wrote:
> >
> >We assumme you are using a USB connection. Give the output of 'lsusb'
> >with the printer plugged in and turned on.
> >
> WS=> Yes, it is a USB 2 connection.

Ok. But that wasn't the information which was requested.

lsusb is a command. Type 'lsusb' in terminal and post the whole of the
output,

--
Brian.

Re: PRINTER DRIVERS

Bill Stanley

On 04/13/2017 05:50 PM, steve reilly wrote:

WS=> Yes, it is a USB 2 connection.

i had a similiar problem years ago.  Dell inkjets are rebranded lexmarks.  I would research that path... i believe cups or openprinting website could help.  pretty sure you need to use a lexmark driver

WS=> Lexmark???  AARG!  it is a POS then.  Forget I even asked, I'll get a real printer.