Packages to add to Edubuntu's 2nd CD

LaserJock
As a part of the edubuntu-on-two-cds [0] spec for Feisty I'm working on
making a list of packages in Universe that could be potentially promoted
to Main and included on a second CD for Edubuntu. I'm primarily looking
at packages that have a lot of educational value and/or are Linux
equivalents to common Windows apps used in the educational world.

I've started a list of potential candidates [1] that I found trolling
around the web and would really like to get feedback on them and other
packages to include so please take a look and discuss it.

Thanks,

-Jordan

[0] https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/edubuntu-on-two-cds
[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JordanMantha/EdubuntuMIRCandidates

Re: Packages to add to Edubuntu's 2nd CD

Bruno Coudoin
Le mardi 09 janvier 2007 à 14:17 -0800, Jordan Mantha a écrit :

> I've started a list of potential candidates [1] that I found trolling
> around the web and would really like to get feedback on them and other
> packages to include so please take a look and discuss it.

[0] https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/edubuntu-on-two-cds
[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JordanMantha/EdubuntuMIRCandidates

I saw childsplay in your list. While it's a good software, it's not as
rich as GCompris. Of course size matters and GCompris is really big but
Edubuntu, despite this found a way to put it on their single CD.

--
Bruno Coudoin
http://gcompris.net Free educational software for kids

Re: Packages to add to Edubuntu's 2nd CD

Gavin McCullagh-3

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007, Jordan Mantha wrote:

> I've started a list of potential candidates [1] that I found trolling
> around the web

You might get some extra inspiration here, if you haven't looked already:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Software?highlight=%28%5EDebianEdu%2F%5B%5E%2F%5D%2A%24%29

> and would really like to get feedback on them and other
> packages to include so please take a look and discuss it.

Is moodle already on the main cd?
        http://moodle.org

Not my thing personally, but some might be interested in gnomesword.
        http://gnomesword.sourceforge.net/

One minor comment.  I don't have any particular issue with the second cd
but I think it important not to overload edubuntu's default install with
applications -- in particular the existing philosophy of choosing one
application per task is a good one in my opinion.  Having two independent
programs for a given task can cause confusion among groups of users.

Gavin

Re: Packages to add to Edubuntu's 2nd CD

Bugzilla from rockprinzess@gmail.com
Hello all!

I've been lurking on this mailing list for quite a long time. But by reading
this last two emails, I've decided to participate active.

Next month in February I will start a case study in my ex-high school using
Edubuntu. It will be a test project and i've tried to soak up as much
information as possible in the last few months. The link that Gavin posted is
very useful, especially the Skole Software Overview, even though I will focus
on Edubuntu, i thought that it was quite useful and I've been looking for
something similar the last two months. So, thank you Gavin!

That said, I've found various applications that could be useful for students
during lessons in classes. BUT I haven't really found any applications that
could be useful for teachers, and if we want schools to jump on the bandwagon
we need more applications for teachers.

I have found KEduca, but haven't found it very useful and user-friendly,
although it combines a BRILLIANT idea. For those who don't know what it is,
it's an application that lets you build questionaires and multiple choice
tests, but I haven't really found any pre-made tests that would state an
example. However, I then logged onto #edu-kde where people told me that this
application (KEduca) is no longer maintained but they're working on a
follow-up, which will be better.
I'm looking specifically for an application that lets teachers administrate
their pupils marks, which I know for sure that they're using something on
windows for that. I think the time-table/class schedule could be maintained
by using SchoolTool?!
And then something similar to KEduca would be nice, in the meantime I will let
the teachers use OpenOffice Writer for compiling their tests, but a special
application for that would be neat ;)

Thanks for everyone for creating such wonderful applications and good luck to
everyone who's starting such a project like me ;)

It's a great day for freedom!

thanks for reading,
all the best
theresa

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Theresa wrote:

> I have found KEduca, but haven't found it very useful and user-friendly,
> although it combines a BRILLIANT idea. For those who don't know what it is,
> it's an application that lets you build questionaires and multiple choice
> tests, but I haven't really found any pre-made tests that would state an
> example.

If it's just for some on/off-line class tests, have you looked at Moodle?
In moodle you create courses with among other things content, online tests,
questionnaires, etc.  Students then use a web browser to login to the
course, do the test (you can specify times, time limits, etc.).  There's no
installation per computer at all.

        http://moodle.org/

You could use it within the classroom or outside.  The teacher gets
presented with a full break down of results for each student and I think I
recall that they can export them to CSV (for reading with Excel/OpenOffice
Calc).

Gavin

Re: Packages to add to Edubuntu's 2nd CD

rholt
écrit :

> > I've started a list of potential candidates [1] that I
found trolling
> > around the web and would really like to get feedback on
them and other
> > packages to include so please take a look and discuss
it.

> [0]
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/edubuntu-on-two-cds
> [1]
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JordanMantha/EdubuntuMIRCandidates

> I saw childsplay in your list. While it's a good software,
it's not as
> rich as GCompris. Of course size matters and GCompris is
really big but
> Edubuntu, despite this found a way to put it on their
single CD.

> --
> Bruno Coudoin
> http://gcompris.net Free educational software for kids
> http://toulibre.org Logiciel Libre à Toulouse

I agree with Bruno.
Without Gcompris, the CD is severely lacking in variety for
pre-school and primary schools.
regards,
Richard.

Re: Packages to add to Edubuntu's 2nd CD

Anne-Marie Mahfouf-2
Hi Theresa,

> And then something similar to KEduca would be nice, in the meantime I will
> let the teachers use OpenOffice Writer for compiling their tests, but a
> special application for that would be neat ;)

KEduca was not maintained thus did not get proper care. We (the KDE-Edu team)
are developing a new application for tests and all your ideas are welcome.
What should it do and how (based on KEduca maybe, what was working and what
was missing, what was not user-friendly,..)

Anyone who has ideas, mockup for the interface, ... are welcome to state them.
It's exactly the right time as KDE4 is a few months ahead!

Anne-Marie
aka annma

RE: Packages to add to Edubuntu's 2nd CD

Simon Ruiz
Howdy!

I'll tell you two packages that I think would be very useful to have available in schools like mine (though the current versions in the official repository are inadequately out of date, and their official websites have no .deb packages; I'm working on getting .deb packages made for them, though this is my first foray into packaging.):

iTALC (italc.sourceforge.net) - intelligent Teaching And Learning with Computers - This is a classroom management tool in the Big Brother tradition of keeping tabs on what the students are doing. It also offers all kinds of neat functionality to the teacher such as allowing the teacher to display their screen onto all of the students' screens. One of the neater aspects of this is that, for heterogenous schools like mine, there is both a Linux and Windows version of both the Master and Client sides of the application.

SystemImager (wiki.systemimager.org) - Image deployment and update tool (for setting up one workstation the way you want it and cloning that onto however hundred workstations need to be set up, as well as making changes to that one original workstation and pushing out those updates).

HTH,

Simón

________________________________

Bruno Coudoin wrote:

> Le mardi 09 janvier 2007 à 14:17 -0800, Jordan Mantha a écrit :
>

>> I've started a list of potential candidates [1] that I found trolling
>> around the web and would really like to get feedback on them and other
>> packages to include so please take a look and discuss it.
>>

> [0] https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/edubuntu-on-two-cds
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JordanMantha/EdubuntuMIRCandidates
>
> I saw childsplay in your list. While it's a good software, it's not as
> rich as GCompris. Of course size matters and GCompris is really big but
> Edubuntu, despite this found a way to put it on their single CD.

Just to be clear, we don't plan on removing any of the current Edubuntu
apps. I'm looking for "in addition to". We plan on moving the
educational applications to the 2nd CD where there will be a choice of
something like "Young Children", "High School", and "University" which
will install an appropriate selection of packages from the 2nd CD. The
1st will bring back in the packages we had to remove from Ubuntu
(mono-based apps for example) and allow for room to work on the Edubuntu
documentation, artwork, and server setup.

-Jordan

Gavin McCullagh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 09 Jan 2007, Jordan Mantha wrote:
>
>> I've started a list of potential candidates [1] that I found trolling
>> around the web
>
> You might get some extra inspiration here, if you haven't looked already:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Software?highlight=%28%5EDebianEdu%2F%5B%5E%2F%5D%2A%24%29
>
>> and would really like to get feedback on them and other
>> packages to include so please take a look and discuss it.
>
> Is moodle already on the main cd?
> http://moodle.org

Moodle is not on the cd yet. We would like to but we need to do some
overhaul of the packaging and work on security (Moodle doesn't have the
best security history, which is a problem for getting it into the Main
repository)

> Not my thing personally, but some might be interested in gnomesword.
> http://gnomesword.sourceforge.net/
>
> One minor comment.  I don't have any particular issue with the second cd
> but I think it important not to overload edubuntu's default install with
> applications -- in particular the existing philosophy of choosing one
> application per task is a good one in my opinion.  Having two independent
> programs for a given task can cause confusion among groups of users.

That's what we are attempting to do. We are building in flexibility, to
allow for Edubuntu to be applicable from preschool kids to university
classrooms, while retaining they one application per task philosophy.
I'm trying to pick out the best educational software we have in Universe
to include on the 2nd CD. We aren't going to just dump all of them on
every Edubuntu machine but allow for some customization of install. The
spec I linked to in my original email has more details about that.

Thanks for the suggestions.

-Jordan

Re: Packages to add to Edubuntu's 2nd CD

David Trask
Edubuntu Devel Group <[hidden email]> writes:
>One minor comment.  I don't have any particular issue with the second cd
>but I think it important not to overload edubuntu's default install with
>applications -- in particular the existing philosophy of choosing one
>application per task is a good one in my opinion.  Having two independent
>programs for a given task can cause confusion among groups of users.

We hashed this out a lot at UDS Mtn. View.....due to the addition of some
important server components like Samba/LDAP...and so forth the room on the
1st CD is becoming squeezed.  By moving some of the edu apps to a second
CD (more for folks who don't have good bandwidth to use Add/Remove
Packages) that room is gained to make more room for the new server
components.  Ogra....feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.  ;-)

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School
[hidden email]
(207)923-3100

[hidden email] writes:

>I have found KEduca, but haven't found it very useful and user-friendly,
>although it combines a BRILLIANT idea. For those who don't know what it
>is,
>it's an application that lets you build questionaires and multiple choice
>tests, but I haven't really found any pre-made tests that would state an
>example. However, I then logged onto #edu-kde where people told me that
>this
>application (KEduca) is no longer maintained but they're working on a
>follow-up, which will be better.
>I'm looking specifically for an application that lets teachers
>administrate
>their pupils marks, which I know for sure that they're using something on
>windows for that. I think the time-table/class schedule could be
>maintained
>by using SchoolTool?!
>And then something similar to KEduca would be nice, in the meantime I
>will let
>the teachers use OpenOffice Writer for compiling their tests, but a
>special
>application for that would be neat ;)

I happen to agree with you on KEduca....I can't get people to use it.
There are too many online services or even Hot Potatoes
http://hotpot.uvic.ca/ that seem to be more user-friendly.  It'd be cool
if Keduca was "prettier"  :-)

"Simon Ruiz" <[hidden email]> writes:
>iTALC (italc.sourceforge.net) - intelligent Teaching And Learning with
>Computers - This is a classroom management tool in the Big Brother
>tradition of keeping tabs on what the students are doing. It also offers
>all kinds of neat functionality to the teacher such as allowing the
>teacher to display their screen onto all of the students' screens. One of
>the neater aspects of this is that, for heterogenous schools like mine,
>there is both a Linux and Windows version of both the Master and Client
>sides of the application.

The new Student Control Panel will do this.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School
[hidden email]
(207)923-3100

Re: Packages to add to Edubuntu's 2nd CD

David Trask
GCompris ROCKS!  We use it every day with kindergarten students.

Richard/g <[hidden email]> writes:

>On Wednesday, 10 January 2007 03:27, Bruno Coudoin wrote:
>> Le mardi 09 janvier 2007 à 14:17 -0800, Jordan Mantha a
>écrit :
>>
>> > I've started a list of potential candidates [1] that I
>found trolling
>> > around the web and would really like to get feedback on
>them and other
>> > packages to include so please take a look and discuss
>it.
>>
>> [0]
>https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/edubuntu-on-two-cds
>> [1]
>https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JordanMantha/EdubuntuMIRCandidates
>>
>> I saw childsplay in your list. While it's a good software,
>it's not as
>> rich as GCompris. Of course size matters and GCompris is
>really big but
>> Edubuntu, despite this found a way to put it on their
>single CD.
>>
>> --
>> Bruno Coudoin
>> http://gcompris.net Free educational software for kids
>> http://toulibre.org Logiciel Libre à Toulouse
>
>I agree with Bruno.
>Without Gcompris, the CD is severely lacking in variety for
>pre-school and primary schools.
>regards,
>Richard.
>
>--

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School
[hidden email]
(207)923-3100

Re: Packages to add to Edubuntu's 2nd CD

David Trask
Adding my opinion....I personally don't think that Moodle should be on
this particular CD....here's why....

It's an awesome product, don't get me wrong, but it can be quite resource
intensive in a decent sized installation.  Most folks will install Moodle
on a LAMP server.  Installing Moodle on an Edubuntu LTSP server could
cause some MAJOR slowdowns.  I discovered the hard way last year that when
giving a test to a number of students the CPU and RAM can spike VERY
high...bringing everything to a crawl or even "timing out".  Different
functions on Moodle consume different resources, but some are hogs.  As a
result if you had Moodle on your Edubuntu server at the same time you are
serving apps....you'd be in a bit of trouble.  A moodle set up
script....maybe, but Moodle probably IMO be left to the repository or the
server CD of Ubuntu.  That's my $.02

[hidden email] writes:

>Gavin McCullagh wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tue, 09 Jan 2007, Jordan Mantha wrote:
>>
>>> I've started a list of potential candidates [1] that I found trolling
>>> around the web
>>
>> You might get some extra inspiration here, if you haven't looked
>already:
>>

>http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Software?highlight=%28%5EDebianEdu%2F%5B%5E%2F%5D%2A%24%29
>>
>>> and would really like to get feedback on them and other
>>> packages to include so please take a look and discuss it.
>>
>> Is moodle already on the main cd?
>> http://moodle.org
>
>Moodle is not on the cd yet. We would like to but we need to do some
>overhaul of the packaging and work on security (Moodle doesn't have the
>best security history, which is a problem for getting it into the Main
>repository)
>
>> Not my thing personally, but some might be interested in gnomesword.
>> http://gnomesword.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> One minor comment.  I don't have any particular issue with the second cd
>> but I think it important not to overload edubuntu's default install with
>> applications -- in particular the existing philosophy of choosing one
>> application per task is a good one in my opinion.  Having two
>independent
>> programs for a given task can cause confusion among groups of users.
>
>That's what we are attempting to do. We are building in flexibility, to
>allow for Edubuntu to be applicable from preschool kids to university
>classrooms, while retaining they one application per task philosophy.
>I'm trying to pick out the best educational software we have in Universe
>to include on the 2nd CD. We aren't going to just dump all of them on
>every Edubuntu machine but allow for some customization of install. The
>spec I linked to in my original email has more details about that.
>
>Thanks for the suggestions.
>
>-Jordan
>

>--

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School
[hidden email]
(207)923-3100

Re: Packages to add to Edubuntu's 2nd CD

Jason Ryer
Jordan,

I would highly recommend adding support for Spanish language on a second CD.
I had wanted it on the install CD and everyone has told me that the DVD
contains all languages. However, where I work in Bolivia as well as many
other places in the Americas and the Caribbean, computer labs simply do not
have access to DVD players. These same places often do not have access to a
reliable or high-speed Internet connection. Therefore, it would help us out
tremendously to have the ability to install Edubuntu simply with two CDs.

I am distributing about 200 donated computers throughout Bolivia and would
like to confidently say that Edubuntu should be used in their classrooms.
However, without Spanish language support, I just cannot do that.

Thank you for your consideration. Best regards,
Jason

--
Jason Ryer
Director GAT - http://www.gat-bolivia.org

Click below and DONATE TO GAT NOW
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick-subscriptions&business=donate%40gat%2dbolivia%2eorg&item_name=%2410%20monthly%20donation%20to%20GAT&no_shipping=1&no_note=1&currency_code=USD&lc=US&bn=PP%2dSubscriptionsBF&charset=UTF%2d8&a3=10%2e00&p3=1&t3=M&src=1&sra=1

Le mercredi 10 janvier 2007 à 10:03 -0800, Jordan Mantha a écrit :

> Bruno Coudoin wrote:
> >
> > I saw childsplay in your list. While it's a good software, it's not as
> > rich as GCompris. Of course size matters and GCompris is really big but
> > Edubuntu, despite this found a way to put it on their single CD.
> >

> Just to be clear, we don't plan on removing any of the current Edubuntu
> apps. I'm looking for "in addition to". We plan on moving the
> educational applications to the 2nd CD where there will be a choice of
> something like "Young Children", "High School", and "University" which
> will install an appropriate selection of packages from the 2nd CD. The
> 1st will bring back in the packages we had to remove from Ubuntu
> (mono-based apps for example) and allow for room to work on the Edubuntu
> documentation, artwork, and server setup.

I should never answer mail early in the morning. I though you worked on
a second CD for Ubuntu. Sorry for the confusion.

--
Bruno Coudoin
http://gcompris.net Free educational software for kids
http://toulibre.org Logiciel Libre à Toulouse

(no subject)

oedha

 Dear Friends,

 I have Asus P5VDC-MX but i can't install edubuntu 6.06
 since edubuntu cant detect any lancard and also the VGA card
 can someone help me .......

 thank You
 Harun

Re: install failure edubuntu 6.06 on Asus P5VDC-MX

Gavin McCullagh-3
Hi,

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, [hidden email] wrote:

>  I have Asus P5VDC-MX but i can't install edubuntu 6.06 since edubuntu
>  cant detect any lancard and also the VGA card can someone help me

if you have trouble with support for new hardware, it's always a good idea
to use the latest release (which comes with the latest drivers).  Edubuntu
6.10 would be worth a try.

        http://www.edubuntu.com/Download

It's unusual that a network card would stop the installation, although a
video card might make things rather hard to work.

Can you describe exactly what happens?  At what point do things fail and
what errors do you get?  Are you using the "install" or live "cd" to do the
installation?

        http://se.releases.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/6.10/

Gavin

RE: Packages to add to Edubuntu's 2nd CD

Simon Ruiz
The impression I got was that the Student Control Panel is specifically an LTSP thing.

This won't do anything in an environment like ours, which is why I suggested iTALC.

Correct me if I'm unaware of something.

There is also quite a benefit to it being semi-platform-independent.

Simón