Packard Bell, what wonderful support!

Gareth France
I thought I would just bring the experiences I'm having with Packard Bell / Acer to everyone's attention. I've been unhappy with my laptop since the day I got it and it seems to be falling apart very rapidly. I have been trying to get it looked at but it's like pulling teeth!

Oddly enough linux hasn't been the biggest stumbling block. Anyway, if anyone fancies a giggle the entire conversation with them is logged on my blog page:

http://cliftonts.co.uk/cubuntu/?p=209

Re: Packard Bell, what wonderful support!

Colin Law-4
On 9 May 2013 11:53, Gareth France <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I thought I would just bring the experiences I'm having with Packard Bell /
> Acer to everyone's attention. I've been unhappy with my laptop since the day
> I got it and it seems to be falling apart very rapidly. I have been trying
> to get it looked at but it's like pulling teeth!

I am not sure you are being entirely fair in refusing to return the
disc.  Supposing, for example, the overheating is due to a faulty
disk.  If the data is important to you then you must already have a
backup (particularly if the machine is unreliable).  Can you not
simply delete (or encrypt) the sensitive data?

I very much fear that if you do not send the disc then you will be
leaving them the option of saying that they cannot find the problem
and that because you did not send the disc they cannot be held
responsible.  Remember also that under your common law rights (and I
guess under the warantee) that they will have the option of replacing
the machine rather than repairing it, in which case they would replace
the disc.

Colin

On 09/05/13 12:07, Colin Law wrote:

> On 9 May 2013 11:53, Gareth France <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I thought I would just bring the experiences I'm having with Packard Bell /
>> Acer to everyone's attention. I've been unhappy with my laptop since the day
>> I got it and it seems to be falling apart very rapidly. I have been trying
>> to get it looked at but it's like pulling teeth!
> I am not sure you are being entirely fair in refusing to return the
> disc.  Supposing, for example, the overheating is due to a faulty
> disk.  If the data is important to you then you must already have a
> backup (particularly if the machine is unreliable).  Can you not
> simply delete (or encrypt) the sensitive data?
>
> I very much fear that if you do not send the disc then you will be
> leaving them the option of saying that they cannot find the problem
> and that because you did not send the disc they cannot be held
> responsible.  Remember also that under your common law rights (and I
> guess under the warantee) that they will have the option of replacing
> the machine rather than repairing it, in which case they would replace
> the disc.
>
> Colin

I don't have anything 500gb in size to do a full backup onto and I'm not
comfortable handing out my business' data at all. I am confident a hard
disk would not cause an overheating issue like I am experiencing and
even if it did then that can be addressed once no other issue is found.

Their main reason for wanting the drive appears to be so that they can
run their (no doubt windows only) diagnostic software on it. And my
biggest issue with this is that by setting themselves up with nothing
but expensive phone numbers I've been having this month long
conversation with them which quite frankly would take less than 5
minutes over the phone. I really do have better things to do with my
time. Especially when I spend an entire day in waiting for collection
only to find they haven't given me the account number for it!

Re: Packard Bell, what wonderful support!

On 9 May 2013 11:53, Gareth France <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I thought I would just bring the experiences I'm having with Packard Bell /
> Acer to everyone's attention. I've been unhappy with my laptop since the day
> I got it and it seems to be falling apart very rapidly. I have been trying
> to get it looked at but it's like pulling teeth!
>
> Oddly enough linux hasn't been the biggest stumbling block. Anyway, if
> anyone fancies a giggle the entire conversation with them is logged on my
> blog page:
>
> http://cliftonts.co.uk/cubuntu/?p=209

You complain repeatedly about their Lo-Call numbers. I have to ask:
have you never heard of http://www.saynoto0870.com/ ?

Whenever I'm confronted with one of these, I just look up the
geographic number and call that.

Email: [hidden email] • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: [hidden email] • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

On 9 May 2013 12:14, Gareth France <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't have anything 500gb in size to do a full backup onto

I am sorry, but - WTF?

And you call yourself an IT technician? If you don't have anything to
backup onto, you're not a pro.

Secondly, any pro with 10% of a clue wouldn't buy Packard Bell and
wouldn't buy from Dixon's, but that is by the bye.

Thirdly, your disk is almost certainly not 100% full and therefore you
don't need ½TB of space.

Fourthly, their request for the unit complete is entirely reasonable
and by both refusing to call them, *and* refusing to supply the
machine entire and intact, you are being very unreasonable. Having
read your transcript, they seem to be doing everything to cooperate
while you refuse to. You are refusing to honour the terms of the
warranty, and as such, they are under no obligation to help you.

> and I'm not
> comfortable handing out my business' data at all.

So back it up - obviously as a pro, you'd have 3 full backups anyway
-- grandfather/father/son and all that -- but make another one for
safety - and remove it before returning the machine.

> I am confident a hard disk
> would not cause an overheating issue like I am experiencing and even if it
> did then that can be addressed once no other issue is found.

You're asking for a warranty repair. /They/ decide the fault, not you.

> Their main reason for wanting the drive appears to be so that they can run
> their (no doubt windows only) diagnostic software on it.

This is perfectly reasonable and fair. That is the OS that they
supplied, as well.

> And my biggest
> issue with this is that by setting themselves up with nothing but expensive
> phone numbers

This is drivel. It took me 5sec to find their geographical number. You
are playing foolish games.

>   I've been having this month long conversation with them which
> quite frankly would take less than 5 minutes over the phone.

So stop playing silly buggers and phone them.

>  I really do
> have better things to do with my time.

Not from your transcript, you don't.

> Especially when I spend an entire day
> in waiting for collection only to find they haven't given me the account
> number for it!

You are being beyond unreasonable with them. I cannot blame them at all.

Email: [hidden email] • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: [hidden email] • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Re: Packard Bell, what wonderful support!

Michael Holmes-2
I can also attest to issues with Packard Bell support. After having to RMA a laptop 3 times for the same issue (hard drive failures, all within the warranty period), I was finally placated when I got a full refund as compensation... for them losing my laptop at the service center. Avoid at all costs.

On 9 May 2013 15:13, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 9 May 2013 12:14, Gareth France <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't have anything 500gb in size to do a full backup onto

I am sorry, but - WTF?

And you call yourself an IT technician? If you don't have anything to
backup onto, you're not a pro.

Secondly, any pro with 10% of a clue wouldn't buy Packard Bell and
wouldn't buy from Dixon's, but that is by the bye.

Thirdly, your disk is almost certainly not 100% full and therefore you
don't need ½TB of space.

Fourthly, their request for the unit complete is entirely reasonable
and by both refusing to call them, *and* refusing to supply the
machine entire and intact, you are being very unreasonable. Having
read your transcript, they seem to be doing everything to cooperate
while you refuse to. You are refusing to honour the terms of the
warranty, and as such, they are under no obligation to help you.

> and I'm not
> comfortable handing out my business' data at all.

So back it up - obviously as a pro, you'd have 3 full backups anyway
-- grandfather/father/son and all that -- but make another one for
safety - and remove it before returning the machine.

> I am confident a hard disk
> would not cause an overheating issue like I am experiencing and even if it
> did then that can be addressed once no other issue is found.

You're asking for a warranty repair. /They/ decide the fault, not you.

> Their main reason for wanting the drive appears to be so that they can run
> their (no doubt windows only) diagnostic software on it.

This is perfectly reasonable and fair. That is the OS that they
supplied, as well.

> And my biggest
> issue with this is that by setting themselves up with nothing but expensive
> phone numbers

This is drivel. It took me 5sec to find their geographical number. You
are playing foolish games.

>   I've been having this month long conversation with them which
> quite frankly would take less than 5 minutes over the phone.

So stop playing silly buggers and phone them.

>  I really do
> have better things to do with my time.

Not from your transcript, you don't.

> Especially when I spend an entire day
> in waiting for collection only to find they haven't given me the account
> number for it!

You are being beyond unreasonable with them. I cannot blame them at all.

Email: [hidden email] • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: [hidden email] • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: <a href="tel:%2B44%2020-8685-0498" value="+442086850498">+44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: <a href="tel:%2B44%207939-087884" value="+447939087884">+44 7939-087884

Re: Packard Bell, what wonderful support!

Nigel Verity
Gareth

While I think that Liam Proven's "robust" manner does him no credit, his advice is largely valid. If you don't allow Packard Bell, or any company acting on their behalf, access to the computer in its original physical configuration then you are not enabling them to comply with the terms of the warranty. The result will be stalemate.

You can probably get a pair of 500 Gig USB HDDs for around a hundred quid. These will enable you to make a couple of full backups before wiping the computer. They will be a wise investment for the future, regardless of whether you get the original PB back or end up with a replacement of some kind.

Nige

Re: Packard Bell, what wonderful support!

Avi Greenbury-4
Gareth France wrote:
> I don't have anything 500gb in size to do a full backup onto and I'm
> not comfortable handing out my business' data at all.

I don't understand this. Surely if you need it backed up it already
is, and if you don't need it backed up you can just blitz the drive
and send the laptop off to them.

--
Avi

Re: Packard Bell, what wonderful support!

Phill Whiteside
With the price of my favourite gizmo at a rediculously low price [1] (I have two of them). Just go and grab a 2.5 / 3.5" drive of your need. The device is an awesome addition to any 'tool kit'.

Regards,

Phill.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/phillw

On 09/05/13 15:13, Liam Proven wrote:

> On 9 May 2013 12:14, Gareth France <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I don't have anything 500gb in size to do a full backup onto
> I am sorry, but - WTF?
>
> And you call yourself an IT technician? If you don't have anything to
> backup onto, you're not a pro.
>
> Secondly, any pro with 10% of a clue wouldn't buy Packard Bell and
> wouldn't buy from Dixon's, but that is by the bye.
>
> Thirdly, your disk is almost certainly not 100% full and therefore you
> don't need ½TB of space.
>
> Fourthly, their request for the unit complete is entirely reasonable
> and by both refusing to call them, *and* refusing to supply the
> machine entire and intact, you are being very unreasonable. Having
> read your transcript, they seem to be doing everything to cooperate
> while you refuse to. You are refusing to honour the terms of the
> warranty, and as such, they are under no obligation to help you.
>
>> and I'm not
>> comfortable handing out my business' data at all.
> So back it up - obviously as a pro, you'd have 3 full backups anyway
> -- grandfather/father/son and all that -- but make another one for
> safety - and remove it before returning the machine.
>
>> I am confident a hard disk
>> would not cause an overheating issue like I am experiencing and even if it
>> did then that can be addressed once no other issue is found.
> You're asking for a warranty repair. /They/ decide the fault, not you.
>
>> Their main reason for wanting the drive appears to be so that they can run
>> their (no doubt windows only) diagnostic software on it.
> This is perfectly reasonable and fair. That is the OS that they
> supplied, as well.
>
>> And my biggest
>> issue with this is that by setting themselves up with nothing but expensive
>> phone numbers
> This is drivel. It took me 5sec to find their geographical number. You
> are playing foolish games.
>
>>    I've been having this month long conversation with them which
>> quite frankly would take less than 5 minutes over the phone.
> So stop playing silly buggers and phone them.
>
>>   I really do
>> have better things to do with my time.
> Not from your transcript, you don't.
>
>> Especially when I spend an entire day
>> in waiting for collection only to find they haven't given me the account
>> number for it!
> You are being beyond unreasonable with them. I cannot blame them at all.
>
> --
> Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
> Email: [hidden email] • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
> MSN: [hidden email] • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
> Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

I have used saynoto0870 and got nowhere. Calling the numbers listed
resulted in me being told to use the website support, which I have been.
I have been an IT technician however insulting my technical ability
based on my financial circumstances is unfair. I chose this laptop
because it was the only one I was able to obtain at the time and I'm not
in the position to spend 'a hundred quid' on a hard drive. That does not
make me a poor technician by any means.

On 09/05/13 16:34, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Gareth France wrote:
>> I don't have anything 500gb in size to do a full backup onto and I'm
>> not comfortable handing out my business' data at all.
> I don't understand this. Surely if you need it backed up it already
> is, and if you don't need it backed up you can just blitz the drive
> and send the laptop off to them.

The need to back something up does not magically produce the media to do
so. Due to personal circumstances I seriously cut back on the amount of
hardware I own. I can't afford to start buying stuff.

Re: Packard Bell, what wonderful support!

Phill Whiteside
Just to update everyone. I've had a further look at [1] and seems to have several reports of the PSU setting alight. Thankfully, the model I got is now back in stock from my original supplier [2] It pays to read the reviews!

Regards,

Phill.
2. http://www.usbnow.co.uk/p52/USB_2.0_IDE_&_SATA_Cable_%28with_Power_Supply%29/product_info.html?gclid=COaW4OS1ibcCFS7KtAodS00ASA

Gareth France wrote:
I don't have anything 500gb in size to do a full backup onto and I'm
not comfortable handing out my business' data at all.
I don't understand this. Surely if you need it backed up it already
is, and if you don't need it backed up you can just blitz the drive
and send the laptop off to them.

The need to back something up does not magically produce the media to do so. Due to personal circumstances I seriously cut back on the amount of hardware I own. I can't afford to start buying stuff.

Re: Packard Bell, what wonderful support!

On 9 May 2013 16:36, Gareth France <[hidden email]> wrote:
884

> I have used saynoto0870 and got nowhere. Calling the numbers listed resulted
> in me being told to use the website support, which I have been. I have been
> an IT technician however insulting my technical ability based on my
> financial circumstances is unfair. I chose this laptop because it was the
> only one I was able to obtain at the time and I'm not in the position to
> spend 'a hundred quid' on a hard drive. That does not make me a poor
> technician by any means.

Uhuh. And yet you're buying brand-new hardware on the high street,
rather than, say, scouring your local Freecycle group, or buying used
kit off eBay?

Nope, sorry, I don't buy it.

Email: [hidden email] • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: [hidden email] • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Re: Packard Bell, what wonderful support!

On 9 May 2013 16:25, Nigel Verity <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Gareth
>
> While I think that Liam Proven's "robust" manner does him no credit

Yeah, I get that a lot. :¬D

On 09/05/13 18:03, Liam Proven wrote:

> On 9 May 2013 16:36, Gareth France <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 884
>> I have used saynoto0870 and got nowhere. Calling the numbers listed resulted
>> in me being told to use the website support, which I have been. I have been
>> an IT technician however insulting my technical ability based on my
>> financial circumstances is unfair. I chose this laptop because it was the
>> only one I was able to obtain at the time and I'm not in the position to
>> spend 'a hundred quid' on a hard drive. That does not make me a poor
>> technician by any means.
> Uhuh. And yet you're buying brand-new hardware on the high street,
> rather than, say, scouring your local Freecycle group, or buying used
> kit off eBay?
>
> Nope, sorry, I don't buy it.
>
> --
> Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
> Email: [hidden email] • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
> MSN: [hidden email] • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
> Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Actually, no. This laptop was a birthday present from a friend, she
bought it for me because my antiquated Dell was dying and I couldn't
afford a replacement. Is there any particular reason why you seem to be
looking for reasons to look down on me? Or does this just come naturally
to you?

Re: Packard Bell, what wonderful support!

Liam Proven
On 9 May 2013 18:06, Gareth France <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09/05/13 18:03, Liam Proven wrote:
>>
>> On 9 May 2013 16:36, Gareth France <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 884
>>>
>>> I have used saynoto0870 and got nowhere. Calling the numbers listed
>>> resulted
>>> in me being told to use the website support, which I have been. I have
>>> been
>>> an IT technician however insulting my technical ability based on my
>>> financial circumstances is unfair. I chose this laptop because it was the
>>> only one I was able to obtain at the time and I'm not in the position to
>>> spend 'a hundred quid' on a hard drive. That does not make me a poor
>>> technician by any means.
>>
>> Uhuh. And yet you're buying brand-new hardware on the high street,
>> rather than, say, scouring your local Freecycle group, or buying used
>> kit off eBay?
>>
>> Nope, sorry, I don't buy it.
>>
> Actually, no. This laptop was a birthday present from a friend, she bought
> it for me because my antiquated Dell was dying and I couldn't afford a
> replacement. Is there any particular reason why you seem to be looking for
> reasons to look down on me? Or does this just come naturally to you?

I am not looking down upon you. I am a fairly penniless freelancer
myself, as my business has suffered dramatically from the credit
crunch.

But what I am trying to point out to you is that you are acting in an
irrational and unfair fashion. The company is trying to help you, but
you are not playing by their rules. Neither I nor Packard-Bell is
victimising you, but if you want their help, you have to meet them in
the middle.

As an example - I can't afford new hardware either. I have not had a
new machine since 2001. My current machine is a Core 2 Quad Extreme
running at 3GHz with 8GB of RAM. I got it on my local Freegle group.
It cost me £3.80 - the cost of a return rail fare from Wimbledon to
Stoneleigh. I cycled to and from the station. I transplanted into it
the graphics card and hard disks from my old machine, which was a free
cast-off from a friend, as was the one before that.

(OK, true, I did soon after have to replace the hard disks when they
failed. That cost me £43 for a terabyte drive.)

If you need to back up your stuff, there are ways to do that. You
could use Google Drive, or Dropbox, or Ubuntu One, or all of them. You
could burn it onto DVDs, which are very cheap now - you can buy
hundreds of gigs for the cost of a small cheap meal. £3 will buy you a
USB to SATA cable, and then you could collect some old disks from
Freegle or the like and backup your stuff on to them.

Presumably you have not generated all this data from scratch since you
got the laptop. Do you still have the old computer? Use its hard
disk(s) for backups using the above-mentioned external-drive cable.

But refusing to send the machine in its entirety, and refusing to
phone the supplier, and then complaining that they are not  helping
you, is grossly unfair and unreasonable. You want them to help you.
Well, play the game, cooperate with them, or they can't, and they are
not to blame.

Email: [hidden email] • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: [hidden email] • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Re: Packard Bell, what wonderful support!

Gareth France

> I am not looking down upon you. I am a fairly penniless freelancer
> myself, as my business has suffered dramatically from the credit
> crunch.
>
> But what I am trying to point out to you is that you are acting in an
> irrational and unfair fashion. The company is trying to help you, but
> you are not playing by their rules. Neither I nor Packard-Bell is
> victimising you, but if you want their help, you have to meet them in
> the middle.
>
> As an example - I can't afford new hardware either. I have not had a
> new machine since 2001. My current machine is a Core 2 Quad Extreme
> running at 3GHz with 8GB of RAM. I got it on my local Freegle group.
> It cost me £3.80 - the cost of a return rail fare from Wimbledon to
> Stoneleigh. I cycled to and from the station. I transplanted into it
> the graphics card and hard disks from my old machine, which was a free
> cast-off from a friend, as was the one before that.
>
> (OK, true, I did soon after have to replace the hard disks when they
> failed. That cost me £43 for a terabyte drive.)
>
> If you need to back up your stuff, there are ways to do that. You
> could use Google Drive, or Dropbox, or Ubuntu One, or all of them. You
> could burn it onto DVDs, which are very cheap now - you can buy
> hundreds of gigs for the cost of a small cheap meal. £3 will buy you a
> USB to SATA cable, and then you could collect some old disks from
> Freegle or the like and backup your stuff on to them.
>
> Presumably you have not generated all this data from scratch since you
> got the laptop. Do you still have the old computer? Use its hard
> disk(s) for backups using the above-mentioned external-drive cable.
>
> But refusing to send the machine in its entirety, and refusing to
> phone the supplier, and then complaining that they are not  helping
> you, is grossly unfair and unreasonable. You want them to help you.
> Well, play the game, cooperate with them, or they can't, and they are
> not to blame.

You seem to be missing the point. Firstly my old machine is no more and
if I backup to DVDs or split my system into umpteen small drives how
exactly do I run my business while my machine is away? I can't do an
online backup as I'm on mobile broadband and the data allowances are
pitiful. I require access to the contents of my drive in a rational
fashion on a day to day basis. As it stands it will just be plugged into
an old desktop and will serve to cover the essentials until my laptop
returns.

My issue isn't with them requiring the hard disk, indeed they have
agreed that it will be accepted without. My issue is that as as user of
PAYG mobile I can call mobiles and geographic landlines. Packard Bell
have made themselves unreachable by someone in my position, as have many
businesses. My issue is that it should not take a month of email ping
pong to arrange something as simple as a warranty return.

I also have issue with the build quality. This machine comes with 4gb
RAM and a 500gb HDD, my old Dell only came with 60Gb HDD yet still
outperformed this machine on day to day tasks. It seems almost as if
there is a large bottleneck in the system, that it has the power but is
unwilling to use it. Had I been given the choice of machine this one
certainly would not have been anywhere near the front of my list.

Re: Packard Bell, what wonderful support!

William Anderson
On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Gareth France <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I thought I would just bring the experiences I'm having with Packard Bell /
> Acer to everyone's attention. I've been unhappy with my laptop since the day
> I got it and it seems to be falling apart very rapidly. I have been trying
> to get it looked at but it's like pulling teeth!
>
> Oddly enough linux hasn't been the biggest stumbling block. Anyway, if
> anyone fancies a giggle the entire conversation with them is logged on my
> blog page:
>
> http://cliftonts.co.uk/cubuntu/?p=209

After reading this, it looks like you've had a fairly typical
experience: you've engaged outsourced frontline support for a low-tier
electronics manufacturer, and you've wandered outside the bounds of
their scripts.  When dealing with a box shifter like Packard Bell, the
easiest way to get a result is conform as much as possible to their
requests and get the machine shipped off as soon as possible
(preferably covered by a home and contents or business asset policy).
If you can send it back with a relatively stock OS install, even
better.

And I'm afraid I agree with Liam here.  If the data on the laptop (one
which you readily admit is "junk") is of any material importance to
you or your business, get it backed up by whatever means necessary.  I
personally use a mixture of rsnapshot (for my Ubuntu servers) and Time
Machine (for my Mac desktops/laptops) to give me a comprehensive layer
of recoverable backup data.  If you're unable to invest in a hard disc
to drop data onto, have you considered a bunch of DVD-Rs?  Or perhaps
you'd be able to temporarily borrow a USB HDD, or USB-SATA adapter and
a regular 2.5"/3.5" drive, from a fellow IT type?  Perhaps someone on
list has some spare kit they could punt your way?

Also, you're concerned about retaining your data to run your business
- how will you access the data if the laptop is gone?  If you're
planning to use the Dell you mentioned, do you literally have 500GiB
used on your Packard Bell?  If it's all in $HOME, do a du -sch ~ - if
the answer is < free capacity of Dell computer, sorted!  If not, see
borrowing tips above!

Re: the phone number, just search for Acer on saynoto0870.com - there
are several hits which match or closely match the number you mentioned
in your blog post.

I think you're unnecessarily making a rod for your own back here when
some creative thinking could help you.  Rather than asking us to
giggle at a bunch of hapless support monkeys being forced outside of
the scope of their limited frontline support capabilities, ask the
community to help you out! :)

-n

On 09/05/13 18:38, William Anderson wrote:

> On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Gareth France <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I thought I would just bring the experiences I'm having with Packard Bell /
>> Acer to everyone's attention. I've been unhappy with my laptop since the day
>> I got it and it seems to be falling apart very rapidly. I have been trying
>> to get it looked at but it's like pulling teeth!
>>
>> Oddly enough linux hasn't been the biggest stumbling block. Anyway, if
>> anyone fancies a giggle the entire conversation with them is logged on my
>> blog page:
>>
>> http://cliftonts.co.uk/cubuntu/?p=209
> After reading this, it looks like you've had a fairly typical
> experience: you've engaged outsourced frontline support for a low-tier
> electronics manufacturer, and you've wandered outside the bounds of
> their scripts.  When dealing with a box shifter like Packard Bell, the
> easiest way to get a result is conform as much as possible to their
> requests and get the machine shipped off as soon as possible
> (preferably covered by a home and contents or business asset policy).
> If you can send it back with a relatively stock OS install, even
> better.
>
> And I'm afraid I agree with Liam here.  If the data on the laptop (one
> which you readily admit is "junk") is of any material importance to
> you or your business, get it backed up by whatever means necessary.  I
> personally use a mixture of rsnapshot (for my Ubuntu servers) and Time
> Machine (for my Mac desktops/laptops) to give me a comprehensive layer
> of recoverable backup data.  If you're unable to invest in a hard disc
> to drop data onto, have you considered a bunch of DVD-Rs?  Or perhaps
> you'd be able to temporarily borrow a USB HDD, or USB-SATA adapter and
> a regular 2.5"/3.5" drive, from a fellow IT type?  Perhaps someone on
> list has some spare kit they could punt your way?
>
> Also, you're concerned about retaining your data to run your business
> - how will you access the data if the laptop is gone?  If you're
> planning to use the Dell you mentioned, do you literally have 500GiB
> used on your Packard Bell?  If it's all in $HOME, do a du -sch ~ - if
> the answer is < free capacity of Dell computer, sorted!  If not, see
> borrowing tips above!
>
> Re: the phone number, just search for Acer on saynoto0870.com - there
> are several hits which match or closely match the number you mentioned
> in your blog post.
>
> I think you're unnecessarily making a rod for your own back here when
> some creative thinking could help you.  Rather than asking us to
> giggle at a bunch of hapless support monkeys being forced outside of
> the scope of their limited frontline support capabilities, ask the
> community to help you out! :)
>
> -n

I'll be using a desktop for the duration the machine is away. I have
been looking at incremental backup solutions. What I'd like to do is
setup a system where it connects to an FTP server and only backs up the
data that has changed since last backup. Something I would trigger
rather than scheduled as I'm on mobile broadband and would need to do
backups whenever I was near a proper broadband connection. I've found
quite a few solutions which 'sort of' do this as I'd like but most don't
cut it and some simply refused to connect to my server. Do you have any
suggestions which may help?

Bad customer service is something which really winds me up and you have
hit the nail on the head there. This is the customer service equivalent
of painting by numbers. The collection has been arranged now and fingers
crossed they will fix it. I know that my laptops always take quite a
pounding but I can only think of one other which faired this badly, made
by a company called Hi-Grade. I really don't expect a machine to be
virging on unusable after only 8 months, regardless of how cheap it is.