Pastebin script installed by default

Venkat Raghavan V.C.
Hi,

I am a member of the Ubuntu-New Users Network
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NewUserNetwork and
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NewUserMentors ). I try to hang around in
#ubuntu on freenode, and help people answer questions.

One common scenario i see quite often (especially on upgrades to breezy)
is that their X server doesn't work. Inevitably, some one asks them to
paste their xorg.conf/xorg.log to pastebin. This of course, is
impossible for new users to do, especially if they don't have a working
X server.

My suggestion is that the pastebin script, available from
http://ubuntulinux.nl/files/pastebin be installed by default (from the
installation cd). If installed by default, users having problems can
just 'cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | pastebin' and paste the url in the
channel.

Of course, we will have to answer questions similiar to what is pastebin
and stuff, but this is OK by me. (we get questions regarding ubotu
too :) )

Thanks,
Venkat

Re: Pastebin script installed by default

Dennis Kaarsemaker
On za, 2005-11-05 at 08:02 +0000, Venkat Raghavan wrote:
> My suggestion is that the pastebin script, available from
> http://ubuntulinux.nl/files/pastebin be installed by default

Not until it is properly written and packaged... In its current state it
still sucks :)
--
Dennis K.
  - Linux for human beings: http://www.ubuntulinux.org

Re: Pastebin script installed by default

Jillian Skarm
On 11/5/05, Venkat Raghavan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a member of the Ubuntu-New Users Network
> (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NewUserNetwork and
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NewUserMentors ). I try to hang around in
> #ubuntu on freenode, and help people answer questions.
>
> One common scenario i see quite often (especially on upgrades to breezy)
> is that their X server doesn't work. Inevitably, some one asks them to
> paste their xorg.conf/xorg.log to pastebin. This of course, is
> impossible for new users to do, especially if they don't have a working
> X server.

When I had problem with my monitor resolution I googled for
information on "hoary" but my problem was not solved by trying those
solutions.  As a new Linux user I dont know how to do it.  The easy
way is to borrow the Warty CD and reinstall so now my machine just
works :-)

--
Jill S