Quantcast

Permanently disable SMART in udisksd/gnome-disks

Permanently disable SMART in udisksd/gnome-disks

Thomas Hungenberg
I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on a SSD along with a HDD for data storage.

If the HDD goes to sleep mode, the journal gets flooded with errors like
udisksd[2340]: Error updating ATA smart for /org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/...

This can be fixed by disabling SMART for the HDD using the switch in gnome-disks.
However, this setting only lasts until the next reboot after which SMART is
enabled for the HDD again.
I wonder how to permanently disable SMART for the HDD?

On the other hand, it would be nice to have SMART data available while the
HDD is not in sleep mode.
Would it be possible to make udisksd check if a drive is in sleep mode
before trying to poll the SMART data and this way prevent it from flooding
the journal with errors?

     - Thomas

Re: Permanently disable SMART in udisksd/gnome-disks

compdoc
On 04/03/2017 01:12 PM, Thomas Hungenberg wrote:
> I wonder how to permanently disable SMART for the HDD?

There is sometimes a SMART setting in the bios, which I think enables
smart tests. Never seen it cause errors...

On 4/3/2017 1:12 PM, Thomas Hungenberg wrote:

> I wonder how to permanently disable SMART for the HDD?

Do you have smartmontools or smart-notifier installed?

Re: Permanently disable SMART in udisksd/gnome-disks

compdoc
On 4/3/2017 1:12 PM, Thomas Hungenberg wrote:

> Would it be possible to make udisksd check if a drive

nm, not familiar with udisksd, so I missed that point. Dont know UDisks2...

On 03.04.2017 21:19, compdoc wrote:
> On 04/03/2017 01:12 PM, Thomas Hungenberg wrote:
>> I wonder how to permanently disable SMART for the HDD?
>
> There is sometimes a SMART setting in the bios, which I think enables smart tests. Never seen it
> cause errors...

SMART in general works fine.
The problem is udisksd flooding the journal with errors when trying
to poll the SMART data while the HDD is in sleep mode.

I guess this is related to 'org.freedesktop.udisks2.ata-smart-enable-disable'
which is changed when SMART is disabled in gnome-disks but apparently the
setting is not made permanently.

    - Thomas