Quantcast

Plasma started crashing

Xen

Plasma started crashing

Xen
So I an an update today but now that I think of it I also exchanged a
graphics card (same driver, no driver exchange).

I don't know which is which at this point but plasmashell crashes about 10
times per hour.

I assume it is going to be the graphics card. Makes KDE nigh unusable
though. One problem gone (the tearing with the other card) a new one
arises (I have had another card in there, so of the say 3 cards in my
possession from nVidia, 2 don't work. And this is just a very new card,
nVidia GTX 950).

It doesn't get much better does it...

Re: Plasma started crashing

Nils Kassube-2
Xen wrote:

> So I an an update today but now that I think of it I also exchanged a
> graphics card (same driver, no driver exchange).
>
> I don't know which is which at this point but plasmashell crashes
> about 10 times per hour.
>
> I assume it is going to be the graphics card. Makes KDE nigh unusable
> though. One problem gone (the tearing with the other card) a new one
> arises (I have had another card in there, so of the say 3 cards in my
> possession from nVidia, 2 don't work. And this is just a very new
> card, nVidia GTX 950).

Which Kubuntu version are you talking about? Maybe it matters…

Which nvidia driver do you use? I don't think that all drivers work the
same with every nvidia card.

As a start you could disable desktop effects (Alt+Shift+F12) and check
if it makes a difference.

Nils

Xen

Re: Plasma started crashing

Xen
Nils Kassube schreef op 11-11-2016 19:11:

> Xen wrote:
>> So I an an update today but now that I think of it I also exchanged a
>> graphics card (same driver, no driver exchange).
>>
>> I don't know which is which at this point but plasmashell crashes
>> about 10 times per hour.
>>
>> I assume it is going to be the graphics card. Makes KDE nigh unusable
>> though. One problem gone (the tearing with the other card) a new one
>> arises (I have had another card in there, so of the say 3 cards in my
>> possession from nVidia, 2 don't work. And this is just a very new
>> card, nVidia GTX 950).
>
> Which Kubuntu version are you talking about? Maybe it matters…

16.04

> Which nvidia driver do you use? I don't think that all drivers work the
> same with every nvidia card.

Nouveau

> As a start you could disable desktop effects (Alt+Shift+F12) and check
> if it makes a difference.

Yeah but I have no time to troubleshoot now.

It's funny... it hadn't crashed for a while but it always crashes if I
click on (Konsole's) window-tile on the panel.

Maybe other tiles too. So I just clicked it because I thought it had
magically gone away, and instant crash xD.

I was going to file a bug report but I needed to download 300 meg of
debug information for that, so Haven't done it yet.

It always says my bug reports are worthless unless I do extra work :(.
Thanks for reminding me. My router had summersaulted and wanted a hard
reset before it would work again. So I forgot...

cause Ubuntu was unreachable :p.

At least I can file the bug report now. But I still don't know if it is
my GPU or not. What happened was....

I had put SystemD on hold, but SystemD depends on a specific version of
libsystemd. However upon installing Wine for something it wanted that
newer version. It also upgraded a whole bunch of other packages. I think
after that the crashing started, but I'm not sure.

Also reminded me I need to redo my SystemD messups again :). Otherwise I
would probably have an unbootable system... :-/.

Regards.

Re: Plasma started crashing

Nils Kassube-2
Xen wrote:

> Nils Kassube schreef op 11-11-2016 19:11:
> > Xen wrote:
> >> So I an an update today but now that I think of it I also exchanged
> >> graphics card (same driver, no driver exchange).
> >>
> >> I don't know which is which at this point but plasmashell crashes
> >> about 10 times per hour.
> >>
> >> I assume it is going to be the graphics card. Makes KDE nigh
> >> unusable
> >> though. One problem gone (the tearing with the other card) a new
> >> one
> >> arises (I have had another card in there, so of the say 3 cards in
> >> my
> >> possession from nVidia, 2 don't work. And this is just a very new
> >> card, nVidia GTX 950).
> >
> > Which Kubuntu version are you talking about? Maybe it matters…
>
> 16.04
>
> > Which nvidia driver do you use? I don't think that all drivers work
> > the same with every nvidia card.
>
> Nouveau

Then you could try the driver from nvidia. The driver manager in system
settings should find out which is the right driver for your card.

> > As a start you could disable desktop effects (Alt+Shift+F12) and
> > check if it makes a difference.
>
> Yeah but I have no time to troubleshoot now.

Well, if you don't want to troubleshoot, you will have to live with the
crashes - and then I'd like to ask what was the purpose of your mail?
Anyway, just pressing one shortcut shouldn't take that long and
afterwards the crashes might stop.

Nils

Xen

Re: Plasma started crashing

Xen
Nils Kassube schreef op 11-11-2016 21:47:

> Then you could try the driver from nvidia. The driver manager in system
> settings should find out which is the right driver for your card.

Can't. I'd not longer have good resolution in the framebuffer driver.

I mean the ctrl-alt-F1 screens, the TTYs. They have very poor resolution
with nVidia.

> Well, if you don't want to troubleshoot, you will have to live with the
> crashes - and then I'd like to ask what was the purpose of your mail?
> Anyway, just pressing one shortcut shouldn't take that long and
> afterwards the crashes might stop.

I spent time filing a bug report at which point the bug report program
first wanted me to install unidentified debug symbol files which took a
long time. Then it showed me duplicates but wouldn't allow me to attach
the duplicates to the bug.

I think I have spent enough time on this already for today.

The bug is apparently known and they don't want to solve it because "it
is part of another codepath that is not our own" and so they just let
the bug sit in whatever it is because it is apparently the
responsibility of someone else even though only this component
experiences it.

The purpose of my mail was to share. Maybe others have it too. Maybe it
is widely recognised and people say "oh yeah, me too". Maybe there is a
fix but maybe people know there isn't a fix.

A report on something is not a volunteering to do a lot of work, it is
just a report on something, no strings attached.

If I attempt your shortcut, and it doesn't work, then what? I have to
report back, and then you come up with another thing to try? There is no
end to it if you start it. If you don't want to do it, you must stop at
the beginning. Because it is never "just one keypress". And yes, when I
try it, of course it doesn't work.... I mean I can't be certain of that
but neither are you, and so this is just one of an infinite number of
trouble shooting steps.

I was asking for information, not troubleshooting. I KNOW there is no
easy solution. So I am trying to raise an awareness, and I hope others
have an awareness I don't have, so I better know where I am at.

No time wasting, just sharing information (please).

> Nils

Re: Plasma started crashing

Accessys@smart.net

have you checked the nvidia site for updated drivers for your card???

Bob

On Fri, 11 Nov 2016, Xen wrote:

> Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2016 20:20:53 +0100
> From: Xen <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Plasma started crashing
>
> Nils Kassube schreef op 11-11-2016 19:11:
>> Xen wrote:
>>> So I an an update today but now that I think of it I also exchanged a
>>> graphics card (same driver, no driver exchange).
>>>
>>> I don't know which is which at this point but plasmashell crashes
>>> about 10 times per hour.
>>>
>>> I assume it is going to be the graphics card. Makes KDE nigh unusable
>>> though. One problem gone (the tearing with the other card) a new one
>>> arises (I have had another card in there, so of the say 3 cards in my
>>> possession from nVidia, 2 don't work. And this is just a very new
>>> card, nVidia GTX 950).
>>
>> Which Kubuntu version are you talking about? Maybe it matters…
>
> 16.04
>
>> Which nvidia driver do you use? I don't think that all drivers work the
>> same with every nvidia card.
>
> Nouveau
>
>> As a start you could disable desktop effects (Alt+Shift+F12) and check
>> if it makes a difference.
>
> Yeah but I have no time to troubleshoot now.
>
> It's funny... it hadn't crashed for a while but it always crashes if I click
> on (Konsole's) window-tile on the panel.
>
> Maybe other tiles too. So I just clicked it because I thought it had
> magically gone away, and instant crash xD.
>
> I was going to file a bug report but I needed to download 300 meg of debug
> information for that, so Haven't done it yet.
>
> It always says my bug reports are worthless unless I do extra work :(. Thanks
> for reminding me. My router had summersaulted and wanted a hard reset before
> it would work again. So I forgot...
>
> cause Ubuntu was unreachable :p.
>
> At least I can file the bug report now. But I still don't know if it is my
> GPU or not. What happened was....
>
> I had put SystemD on hold, but SystemD depends on a specific version of
> libsystemd. However upon installing Wine for something it wanted that newer
> version. It also upgraded a whole bunch of other packages. I think after that
> the crashing started, but I'm not sure.
>
> Also reminded me I need to redo my SystemD messups again :). Otherwise I
> would probably have an unbootable system... :-/.
>
> Regards.

Xen

Re: Plasma started crashing

Xen
[hidden email] schreef op 12-11-2016 18:50:
> have you checked the nvidia site for updated drivers for your card???

No I haven't and the tracelog indicates or seemed to indicate when I
quickly peroused it to be purely a thumbnail issue. I have disabled the
thumbnails after much ado (they are called tooltips) although I must say
I do miss them and I don't like it this way. But a similar thing seems
to happen in the KDE menu and it also causes the same kind of crash I
think, it is just less now than before.

Not completely satisfactory at all because I find myself hovering over
the tiles to see the thumbnail so it was in fact useful to me. But there
is a bug in there that causes the crash -- I think -- and I submitted a
bug about it.

Here are some of the latest traces in the thread that crashed it.

#6  _wordcopy_fwd_aligned (dstp=4512495800, srcp=55143296, len=20298888)
at wordcopy.c:101
#7  0x00007fa9443e058f in __memmove_sse2 (dest=0x10cf738c0,
src=<optimized out>, len=162391104) at ../string/memmove.c:75
#8  0x00007fa9275e74ad in ?? () from
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/swrast_dri.so
#9  0x00007fa9275e5d95 in ?? () from
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/swrast_dri.so
#10 0x00007fa92d573c1f in Plasma::WindowThumbnail::bindGLXTexture
(this=this@entry=0x35cac20) at
/build/plasma-framework-ZIMEEb/plasma-framework-5.18.0/src/declarativeimports/core/windowthumbnail.cpp:447
#11 0x00007fa92d574e44 in Plasma::WindowThumbnail::windowToTextureGLX
(this=this@entry=0x35cac20, textureNode=textureNode@entry=0x3e8c620) at
/build/plasma-framework-ZIMEEb/plasma-framework-5.18.0/src/declarativeimports/core/windowthumbnail.cpp:282
#12 0x00007fa92d575803 in Plasma::WindowThumbnail::windowToTexture
(this=0x35cac20, textureNode=0x3e8c620) at
/build/plasma-framework-ZIMEEb/plasma-framework-5.18.0/src/declarativeimports/core/windowthumbnail.cpp:394

You can see the offending Plasma function is probably
Plasma::WindowThumbnail::bindGLXTexture and this is probably purely a
plasma framework problem but I can't tell.

So now I don't have my thumbnails as they would crash it constantly and
I guess I have to thank Nils for pointing me to it or at least
suggesting what it might be, but I had to look at the trace to get a
clue and I'm not really happy with turning it off, I might just as well
replace the card you know (and do some real troubleshooting, for if the
problem remains, then it is not the card but it is going to be the
software upgrades I had).

Regards.

Xen

Re: Plasma started crashing

Xen
Xen schreef op 12-11-2016 19:05:

> (...) I might just as
> well replace the card you know (and do some real troubleshooting, for
> if the problem remains, then it is not the card but it is going to be
> the software upgrades I had).
>
> Regards.

I'm just saying turning things off is a bad waste of resources as I
might spend the same amount of time replacing a graphics card in my
system completely alleviating the problem and learn something along the
way ---- - probably.

Still it is important other people know what goes wrong or where.

Re: Plasma started crashing

Accessys@smart.net

I had a similar (not Plasma) type of problem with my Nvidia card and after
a lot of head banging I did a card upgrade and solved the problem. still
not sure what it was since it did not indicate there was any problem in
the first place

YMMV
Bob

On Sat, 12 Nov 2016, Xen wrote:

> Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2016 19:05:30 +0100
> From: Xen <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Plasma started crashing
>
> [hidden email] schreef op 12-11-2016 18:50:
>> have you checked the nvidia site for updated drivers for your card???
>
> No I haven't and the tracelog indicates or seemed to indicate when I quickly
> peroused it to be purely a thumbnail issue. I have disabled the thumbnails
> after much ado (they are called tooltips) although I must say I do miss them
> and I don't like it this way. But a similar thing seems to happen in the KDE
> menu and it also causes the same kind of crash I think, it is just less now
> than before.
>
> Not completely satisfactory at all because I find myself hovering over the
> tiles to see the thumbnail so it was in fact useful to me. But there is a bug
> in there that causes the crash -- I think -- and I submitted a bug about it.
>
> Here are some of the latest traces in the thread that crashed it.
>
> #6  _wordcopy_fwd_aligned (dstp=4512495800, srcp=55143296, len=20298888) at
> wordcopy.c:101
> #7  0x00007fa9443e058f in __memmove_sse2 (dest=0x10cf738c0, src=<optimized
> out>, len=162391104) at ../string/memmove.c:75
> #8  0x00007fa9275e74ad in ?? () from
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/swrast_dri.so
> #9  0x00007fa9275e5d95 in ?? () from
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/swrast_dri.so
> #10 0x00007fa92d573c1f in Plasma::WindowThumbnail::bindGLXTexture
> (this=this@entry=0x35cac20) at
> /build/plasma-framework-ZIMEEb/plasma-framework-5.18.0/src/declarativeimports/core/windowthumbnail.cpp:447
> #11 0x00007fa92d574e44 in Plasma::WindowThumbnail::windowToTextureGLX
> (this=this@entry=0x35cac20, textureNode=textureNode@entry=0x3e8c620) at
> /build/plasma-framework-ZIMEEb/plasma-framework-5.18.0/src/declarativeimports/core/windowthumbnail.cpp:282
> #12 0x00007fa92d575803 in Plasma::WindowThumbnail::windowToTexture
> (this=0x35cac20, textureNode=0x3e8c620) at
> /build/plasma-framework-ZIMEEb/plasma-framework-5.18.0/src/declarativeimports/core/windowthumbnail.cpp:394
>
> You can see the offending Plasma function is probably
> Plasma::WindowThumbnail::bindGLXTexture and this is probably purely a plasma
> framework problem but I can't tell.
>
> So now I don't have my thumbnails as they would crash it constantly and I
> guess I have to thank Nils for pointing me to it or at least suggesting what
> it might be, but I had to look at the trace to get a clue and I'm not really
> happy with turning it off, I might just as well replace the card you know
> (and do some real troubleshooting, for if the problem remains, then it is not
> the card but it is going to be the software upgrades I had).
>
> Regards.

Re: Plasma started crashing

uteck
Just wondering if you are able to change the compositor in the system
settings, under Display and Monitor?  That might be a problem if it is
using one that the new card does not support.