Please Recommend Affordable and Reliable Cloud Storage for 50 TB of Data

Please Recommend Affordable and Reliable Cloud Storage for 50 TB of Data

Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming-5
Hi,

Could you recommend affordable and reliable cloud storage for 50 TB of data?

Here are some important factors to consider:

1. Personal/non-commercial use.
2. Must be affordable, since I am unemployed most of the time and have
super low levels of income for the past 12 years since I graduated
from the National University of Singapore in 2007.
3. Cloud storage provider must not be a fly-by-night company, that is,
it will not suddenly close down the next day.

Please advise.

Thank you.

===BEGIN EMAIL SIGNATURE===

The Gospel for all Targeted Individuals (TIs):

[The New York Times] Microwave Weapons Are Prime Suspect in Ills of U.S. Embassy Workers

Singaporean Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming's Academic Qualifications as at 14 Feb 2019

===END EMAIL SIGNATURE===

Re: Please Recommend Affordable and Reliable Cloud Storage for 50 TB of Data

Olivier Nicole-2
Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming <[hidden email]> writes:

> [1:multipart/alternative Hide]
>

> [1/1:text/plain Show]
>

> [1/2:text/html Hide Save:noname (4kB)]
>
> Hi,
>
> Could you recommend affordable and reliable cloud storage for 50 TB of
> data?

Looking for pure storage, the cheapest I found is blackblaze that claims
true unlimited storage for a fixed price.

50TB will have to be paid storage.

Olivier

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 2:56 PM Olivier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > [1:multipart/alternative Hide]
> >

> > [1/1:text/plain Show]
> >

> > [1/2:text/html Hide Save:noname (4kB)]
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Could you recommend affordable and reliable cloud storage for 50 TB of
> > data?
>
> Looking for pure storage, the cheapest I found is blackblaze that claims
> true unlimited storage for a fixed price.
>
> 50TB will have to be paid storage.
>
> Olivier

Hi Olivier,

I have heard about Backblaze Cloud Storage from quora.com too.

Is it good and reliable?

Is it really *unlimited* storage? How much do I have to pay per annum
for storing 50 TB of data?

Thank you.

> > Here are some important factors to consider:
> >
> )> 1. Personal/non-commercial use.
> > 2. Must be affordable, since I am unemployed most of the time and have
> > super low levels of income for the past 12 years since I graduated
> > from the National University of Singapore in 2007.
> > 3. Cloud storage provider must not be a fly-by-night company, that is,
> > it will not suddenly close down the next day.
> >
> > Please advise.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > ===BEGIN EMAIL SIGNATURE===
> >
> > The Gospel for all Targeted Individuals (TIs):
> >
> > [The New York Times] Microwave Weapons Are Prime Suspect in Ills of U.S. Embassy Workers
> >
> > Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/01/science/sonic-attack-cuba-microwave.html
> >
> > ********************************************************************************************
> >

> > Singaporean Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming's Academic Qualifications as at 14 Feb 2019
> >
> > [1] https://tdtemcerts.wordpress.com/
> >
> > [2] https://tdtemcerts.blogspot.sg/
> >
> > [3] https://www.scribd.com/user/270125049/Teo-En-Ming
> >
> > ===END EMAIL SIGNATURE===
> >
> > [2:text/plain Hide]
>
> --

===BEGIN EMAIL SIGNATURE===

The Gospel for all Targeted Individuals (TIs):

[The New York Times] Microwave Weapons Are Prime Suspect in Ills of
U.S. Embassy Workers

Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/01/science/sonic-attack-cuba-microwave.html

Singaporean Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming's Academic
Qualifications as at 14 Feb 2019

[1] https://tdtemcerts.wordpress.com/

[2] https://tdtemcerts.blogspot.sg/

[3] https://www.scribd.com/user/270125049/Teo-En-Ming

===END EMAIL SIGNATURE===

Re: Please Recommend Affordable and Reliable Cloud Storage for 50 TB of Data

Rashkae-2
On 2019-02-15 2:13 a.m., Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:

> Hi Olivier,
>
> I have heard about Backblaze Cloud Storage from quora.com too.
>
> Is it good and reliable?
>
> Is it really *unlimited* storage? How much do I have to pay per annum
> for storing 50 TB of data?

Yeah, I seriously doubt that's going to happen... 50TB will put you
squarely in their B2 Server/NAS backup and that's going to cost 250 USD
/ month

But still likely to be the best price you're going to get for that kind
of storage.. I really hope you misplaced a decimal.

Re: Please Recommend Affordable and Reliable Cloud Storage for 50 TB of Data

Petter Adsen-2
On 15.02.2019 08:24, Rashkae wrote:

> On 2019-02-15 2:13 a.m., Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
>
>> Hi Olivier,
>>
>> I have heard about Backblaze Cloud Storage from quora.com too.
>>
>> Is it good and reliable?
>>
>> Is it really *unlimited* storage? How much do I have to pay per annum
>> for storing 50 TB of data?
>>

> Yeah, I seriously doubt that's going to happen... 50TB will put you
> squarely in their B2 Server/NAS backup and that's going to cost 250 USD
> / month
>
> But still likely to be the best price you're going to get for that kind
> of storage.. I really hope you misplaced a decimal.

Does all this data need to be immediately accessible? What about
something like Amazon Glacier - would that be cheaper?

Petter

Re: Please Recommend Affordable and Reliable Cloud Storage for 50 TB of Data

Olivier Nicole-2
Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 2:56 PM Olivier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>> > [1:multipart/alternative Hide]
>> >

>> > [1/1:text/plain Show]
>> >

>> > [1/2:text/html Hide Save:noname (4kB)]
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Could you recommend affordable and reliable cloud storage for 50 TB of
>> > data?
>>
>> Looking for pure storage, the cheapest I found is blackblaze that claims
>> true unlimited storage for a fixed price.
>>
>> 50TB will have to be paid storage.
>>
>> Olivier
>
> Hi Olivier,
>
> I have heard about Backblaze Cloud Storage from quora.com too.
>
> Is it good and reliable?
>
> Is it really *unlimited* storage? How much do I have to pay per annum
> for storing 50 TB of data?

I never managed to get the budget to use them. but they have been in the
business for many years (10?) and they do storage only, so their storage
must be reliable, because they have no other product to survive.

I also like the fact that they are using almost open source solution
(they give the plan of their storage pod, I think they even sell kits).

For individual user, you better have a look by yourself because what i
was looking at was business and my busget would have been 5$/month for
10TB (business is not unlimited).

Olivier

Petter Adsen <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 15.02.2019 08:24, Rashkae wrote:
>> On 2019-02-15 2:13 a.m., Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Olivier,
>>>
>>> I have heard about Backblaze Cloud Storage from quora.com too.
>>>
>>> Is it good and reliable?
>>>
>>> Is it really *unlimited* storage? How much do I have to pay per annum
>>> for storing 50 TB of data?
>>>

>> Yeah, I seriously doubt that's going to happen... 50TB will put you
>> squarely in their B2 Server/NAS backup and that's going to cost 250 USD
>> / month
>>
>> But still likely to be the best price you're going to get for that kind
>> of storage.. I really hope you misplaced a decimal.
>
> Does all this data need to be immediately accessible? What about
> something like Amazon Glacier - would that be cheaper?

I had a look at some stage, and it was not or only marginally cheaper,
with more limitation.

Olivier

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 3:26 PM Rashkae <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2019-02-15 2:13 a.m., Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
>
> > Hi Olivier,
> >
> > I have heard about Backblaze Cloud Storage from quora.com too.
> >
> > Is it good and reliable?
> >
> > Is it really *unlimited* storage? How much do I have to pay per annum
> > for storing 50 TB of data?
> >

> Yeah, I seriously doubt that's going to happen... 50TB will put you
> squarely in their B2 Server/NAS backup and that's going to cost 250 USD
> / month
>
> But still likely to be the best price you're going to get for that kind
> of storage.. I really hope you misplaced a decimal.

Hi Rashkae,

There is no mistake about 50 TB of data.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can afford to pay USD$250 per month.

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 3:29 PM Olivier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming <[hidden email]> writes:

> >> Looking for pure storage, the cheapest I found is blackblaze that claims
> >> true unlimited storage for a fixed price.
> >>
> >> 50TB will have to be paid storage.
> >>
> >> Olivier
> >
> > Hi Olivier,
> >
> > I have heard about Backblaze Cloud Storage from quora.com too.
> >
> > Is it good and reliable?
> >
> > Is it really *unlimited* storage? How much do I have to pay per annum
> > for storing 50 TB of data?
>
> I never managed to get the budget to use them. but they have been in the
> business for many years (10?) and they do storage only, so their storage
> must be reliable, because they have no other product to survive.
>
> I also like the fact that they are using almost open source solution
> (they give the plan of their storage pod, I think they even sell kits).
>
> For individual user, you better have a look by yourself because what i
> was looking at was business and my busget would have been 5$/month for
> 10TB (business is not unlimited).

Hi Olivier,

For me it is personal use and not business use.

I think Backblaze is charging USD$50 per year for Unlimited cloud storage?

It seems like everybody is recommending Backblaze.

Thank you.

> Olivier
>

> > Thank you.

> >> )> 1. Personal/non-commercial use.

> >> --
> >
> > ===BEGIN EMAIL SIGNATURE===
> >
> > The Gospel for all Targeted Individuals (TIs):
> >
> > [The New York Times] Microwave Weapons Are Prime Suspect in Ills of
> > U.S. Embassy Workers
> >
> > Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/01/science/sonic-attack-cuba-microwave.html
> >
> > ********************************************************************************************
> >
> > Singaporean Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming's Academic
> > Qualifications as at 14 Feb 2019
> >
> > [1] https://tdtemcerts.wordpress.com/
> >
> > [2] https://tdtemcerts.blogspot.sg/
> >
> > [3] https://www.scribd.com/user/270125049/Teo-En-Ming
> >
> > ===END EMAIL SIGNATURE===
> >

> --

===BEGIN EMAIL SIGNATURE===

The Gospel for all Targeted Individuals (TIs):

[The New York Times] Microwave Weapons Are Prime Suspect in Ills of
U.S. Embassy Workers

Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/01/science/sonic-attack-cuba-microwave.html

Singaporean Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming's Academic
Qualifications as at 14 Feb 2019

[1] https://tdtemcerts.wordpress.com/

[2] https://tdtemcerts.blogspot.sg/

[3] https://www.scribd.com/user/270125049/Teo-En-Ming

===END EMAIL SIGNATURE===

Re: Please Recommend Affordable and Reliable Cloud Storage for 50 TB of Data

Matthew Crews
On 2/15/19 12:40 AM, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
> Hi Olivier,
>
> For me it is personal use and not business use.
>
> I think Backblaze is charging USD$50 per year for Unlimited cloud storage?
>
> It seems like everybody is recommending Backblaze.

Backblaze does not have a Linux client specifically because they know
the majority of Linux users will try to back up a NAS, which is what OP
seems to want to do (without having said he wants to do it). Their
backup client is specifically for Windows and Mac.

To use Backblaze with Linux you will need to use their B2 Cloud service,
which is $0.005/GB/month to store, and $0.01/GB/month to retrieve. For
50 Terabytes, you are looking at $250/month just to store your data. Not
exactly cheap

One has to ask whether it is necessary to store 50 Terabytes on a cloud
service. You might be better off rolling your own solution with
something like a personal NextCloud server, and doing incremental tape
backups periodically. The price at that point will be cheaper in the
long run than anything a cloud storage provider will offer.