Please test the beta candidate -- especially i386 users

Please test the beta candidate -- especially i386 users

Valorie Zimmerman
Hello folks, half the required tests have been done for amd64, and
NONE have been done for i386.

This is simply not acceptable nor sustainable. Please test as the
previous emails have instructed, and report your results:

http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/387/builds

Thanks.

Valorie
Kubuntu release manager

--
http://about.me/valoriez

Re: Please test the beta candidate -- especially i386 users

Franklin Weng
Hi Valorie,

I'll do that today in my virtualbox, as much as possible.

Franklin

--
Sent from my phone

2018年3月8日 09:50,"Valorie Zimmerman" <[hidden email]>寫道:
Hello folks, half the required tests have been done for amd64, and
NONE have been done for i386.

This is simply not acceptable nor sustainable. Please test as the
previous emails have instructed, and report your results:

http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/387/builds

Thanks.

Valorie
Kubuntu release manager

--
http://about.me/valoriez

Re: Please test the beta candidate -- especially i386 users

Franklin Weng
For i386 I hit a snag when doing the first test.  The screenshot is at https://imgur.com/gallery/pfQ45

When I boot the iso on virtualbox (5.2.8 r121009 (Qt5.6.1)), the initial screen (keyboard->manual, and when hit a key the manual menu) is shown. Then when I started Kubuntu, after some time it became the first attached file (Virtualbox-Kubuntu-18.png).

I tried with 64bit version, it is okay and can run smoothly to complete installation. I tried with older version of Virtualbox , no luck. I tried running virtualbox on my KDE Slimbook it directly hanged there =_=

Then I tried to boot 32bit iso and in the manual menu I set "nomodeset", it successfully showed the screen to let me choose the language and I clicked "Try Kubuntu". However, after clicking "Try Kubuntu", it ran into console. (Virtualbox-Kubuntu-18-2.png)

I logged in the console with username "kubuntu" successfully. In it I ran "startx", it started KDE successfully!!

Then I installed Kubuntu 18.04 in the KDE live session, (using the whold disk) without problem. After reboot, it ran into the console login screen again.

I can login with the username/password I set during the installation, and after logging in I can also start kde by "startx" (Virtualbox-Kubuntu-18-3.png).

Would anyone give it a try?  For now I'll test 64bit for the remaining items first.

Regards, Franklin

Hello folks, half the required tests have been done for amd64, and
NONE have been done for i386.

This is simply not acceptable nor sustainable. Please test as the
previous emails have instructed, and report your results:

http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/387/builds

Thanks.

Valorie
Kubuntu release manager

--
http://about.me/valoriez

Franklin Weng
中華民國軟體自由協會理事長
LibreOffice 導入專家
LibreOffice 法人代表文件基金會董事、認證委員會委員
KDE 協會成員、歐洲自由軟體基金會成員

Re: Please test the beta candidate -- especially i386 users

Pranav Sharma
Hi all,

I am currently at university, but when I visit home this weekend I can pick up a spare laptop and use that to test.
Would installing kubuntu 32 bit on a 64 bit machine work for testing?

-Pranav

On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 12:17 AM, Franklin Weng <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Pranav,

Hi all,

I am currently at university, but when I visit home this weekend I can pick up a spare laptop and use that to test.
Would installing kubuntu 32 bit on a 64 bit machine work for testing?

-Pranav

Interesting  --  It works!!  (2 cpus)
With UEFI disabled of course.

But on 32-bit virtual machine (1 cpu) it would fail like what I've described.

--
Franklin Weng
中華民國軟體自由協會理事長
LibreOffice 導入專家
LibreOffice 法人代表文件基金會董事、認證委員會委員
KDE 協會成員、歐洲自由軟體基金會成員

Re: Please test the beta candidate -- especially i386 users

Franklin Weng

Hi all,

I am currently at university, but when I visit home this weekend I can pick up a spare laptop and use that to test.
Would installing kubuntu 32 bit on a 64 bit machine work for testing?

-Pranav

So -- It passed on 64-bit machine but not on 32-bit machine.  Should I count it as passed or not?

Regards, Franklin

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 9:46 PM, Franklin Weng <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am currently at university, but when I visit home this weekend I can
>> pick up a spare laptop and use that to test.
>> Would installing kubuntu 32 bit on a 64 bit machine work for testing?
>>
>> -Pranav
>

> So -- It passed on 64-bit machine but not on 32-bit machine.  Should I count
> it as passed or not?
>

> Regards, Franklin
>
> --
> Franklin Weng
> 中華民國軟體自由協會理事長
> LibreOffice 導入專家
> LibreOffice 法人代表文件基金會董事、認證委員會委員
> KDE 協會成員、歐洲自由軟體基金會成員

For the 32 bit ISO, we really need testing on 32 bit machines. When
you run into snags please report the bugs. If it is the installer, and
it sounds like it is, please run (before you reboot) `ubuntu-bug
ubiquity` in the commandline and describe the issue on the bug
tracker. Take note of the bug number and enter that number into the qa
tracker ( http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/387/builds )
and follow the test instructions. If you are unable to finish the
"case" successfully, it is a fail.

If we are going to provide i386 images for people who have 32-bit
machines, they need to work for them. If we can't, we shouldn't
provide them.

Thanks so much for your help, folks! I need your reports on the qa
tracker for them to count.

Valorie

Re: Please test the beta candidate -- especially i386 users

Franklin Weng
Hi Valorie,

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 9:46 PM, Franklin Weng <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> So -- It passed on 64-bit machine but not on 32-bit machine.  Should I count
> it as passed or not?
>

> Regards, Franklin

For the 32 bit ISO, we really need testing on 32 bit machines. When
you run into snags please report the bugs. If it is the installer, and
it sounds like it is, please run (before you reboot) `ubuntu-bug
ubiquity` in the commandline and describe the issue on the bug
tracker. Take note of the bug number and enter that number into the qa
tracker ( http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/387/builds )
and follow the test instructions. If you are unable to finish the
"case" successfully, it is a fail.

If we are going to provide i386 images for people who have 32-bit
machines, they need to work for them. If we can't, we shouldn't
provide them.

Thanks so much for your help, folks! I need your reports on the qa
tracker for them to count.

Valorie

Will issue a bug.  However I wonder if it is a display driver issue.  After 64-bit tests are done I may test with ubuntu 18.04 32bit.

If only Kubuntu 32 bit has this problem, maybe we need someone else to test with different environment.

Franklin

--
Franklin Weng
中華民國軟體自由協會理事長
LibreOffice 導入專家
LibreOffice 法人代表文件基金會董事、認證委員會委員
KDE 協會成員、歐洲自由軟體基金會成員

Re: Please test the beta candidate -- especially i386 users

Franklin Weng
Gosh, Kubuntu 18.04 32-bit iso works now.

I just tried with Ubuntu 18.04 32-bit successfully, then tried Kubuntu 18.04 32-bit again.

IT
WORKS
THIS
TIME

I'm going to jump into a lake to cool down before going on testing.

BTW, 64-bit OEM installation failed, with exactly the same symptoms as last time I tested with 17.10.

Franklin

Hi Valorie,

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 9:46 PM, Franklin Weng <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> So -- It passed on 64-bit machine but not on 32-bit machine.  Should I count
> it as passed or not?
>

> Regards, Franklin

For the 32 bit ISO, we really need testing on 32 bit machines. When
you run into snags please report the bugs. If it is the installer, and
it sounds like it is, please run (before you reboot) `ubuntu-bug
ubiquity` in the commandline and describe the issue on the bug
tracker. Take note of the bug number and enter that number into the qa
tracker ( http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/387/builds )
and follow the test instructions. If you are unable to finish the
"case" successfully, it is a fail.

If we are going to provide i386 images for people who have 32-bit
machines, they need to work for them. If we can't, we shouldn't
provide them.

Thanks so much for your help, folks! I need your reports on the qa
tracker for them to count.

Valorie

Will issue a bug.  However I wonder if it is a display driver issue.  After 64-bit tests are done I may test with ubuntu 18.04 32bit.

If only Kubuntu 32 bit has this problem, maybe we need someone else to test with different environment.

Franklin

--
Franklin Weng
中華民國軟體自由協會理事長
LibreOffice 導入專家
LibreOffice 法人代表文件基金會董事、認證委員會委員
KDE 協會成員、歐洲自由軟體基金會成員

--
Franklin Weng
中華民國軟體自由協會理事長
LibreOffice 導入專家
LibreOffice 法人代表文件基金會董事、認證委員會委員
KDE 協會成員、歐洲自由軟體基金會成員

Re: Please test the beta candidate -- especially i386 users

Valorie Zimmerman
Glad to hear it's going well!

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 11:06 PM, Franklin Weng
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gosh, Kubuntu 18.04 32-bit iso works now.
>
> I just tried with Ubuntu 18.04 32-bit successfully, then tried Kubuntu 18.04
> 32-bit again.
>
> IT
> WORKS
> THIS
> TIME
>
> I'm going to jump into a lake to cool down before going on testing.
>
> BTW, 64-bit OEM installation failed, with exactly the same symptoms as last
> time I tested with 17.10.
>

> Franklin

>> Hi Valorie,

>> <[hidden email]>:

>>> For the 32 bit ISO, we really need testing on 32 bit machines. When
>>> you run into snags please report the bugs. If it is the installer, and
>>> it sounds like it is, please run (before you reboot) `ubuntu-bug
>>> ubiquity` in the commandline and describe the issue on the bug
>>> tracker. Take note of the bug number and enter that number into the qa
>>> tracker ( http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/387/builds )
>>> and follow the test instructions. If you are unable to finish the
>>> "case" successfully, it is a fail.
>>>
>>> If we are going to provide i386 images for people who have 32-bit
>>> machines, they need to work for them. If we can't, we shouldn't
>>> provide them.
>>>
>>> Thanks so much for your help, folks! I need your reports on the qa
>>> tracker for them to count.
>>>
>>> Valorie
>>>

>> Will issue a bug.  However I wonder if it is a display driver issue.
>> After 64-bit tests are done I may test with ubuntu 18.04 32bit.
>>
>> If only Kubuntu 32 bit has this problem, maybe we need someone else to
>> test with different environment.
>>

>> Franklin

I'm having much better luck than I was with the 16.04 installer. OEM
worked for me because I loaded in Rik's patch to it by adding his ppa.

Unfortunately I couldn't even *try* oem for i386. Nor could I try a
side-by-side install -- neither option was offered! Am I the only one
seeing it? I'll be filing a bug about both in a bit.

PS: i386 lovers: We *NEED* you to test on your 32-bit machines. Today.

Valorie
--
http://about.me/valoriez