Pointing devices and most of keyboard stop working on 20.10 system

Pointing devices and most of keyboard stop working on 20.10 system

Bret Busby-2
Hello.

On a UbuntuMATE 20.10 system, after I reboot the computer, which I
have to do now, every session, after about 5-10 minutes of
deteriorating use, the mouse dominant button stops working, then,
after a while, the non-dominant button stops working; this is for a
"laptop" computer, and, the buttons on the trackpad then are not
working, and the "F" buttons on the external keyboard, and the
<CTRL><alpha character> combination (eg, <CTRL><q>), does not work,
and, about all I can do is use the <CTRL><ALT><DEL> combination, to go
to a shutdown or reboot.

If I reboot the sytem, and, leave it standing, with no applications
opened, it deteriorates as described above, after a few minutes.

How do I find what is happening with the operating system?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

Re: Pointing devices and most of keyboard stop working on 20.10 system

Gary J. Kirkpatrick

On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 11:45 PM Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Could be hardware failure.  Use "Disks" to check the hard drive.

gary

On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 at 23:45, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> On a UbuntuMATE 20.10 system, after I reboot the computer, which I
> have to do now, every session, after about 5-10 minutes of
> deteriorating use, the mouse dominant button stops working, then,
> after a while, the non-dominant button stops working

Diagnostic steps you can try:
 • Does it affect a USB keyboard/mouse as well?
 • Does it happen if you boot from a Live USB?
 • Does it happen in Windows?
(If you have Windows on the machine, obviously. If not, you could try
a DOS USB key, or Windows USB installation disk; it's a free download
& no key is required.)
 • Does it make a difference if it's on battery or mains power?
 • Is this laptop's firmware current? If not, update it, then try.

Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]

On 28/12/2020, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 11:45 PM Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> On a UbuntuMATE 20.10 system, after I reboot the computer, which I
>> have to do now, every session, after about 5-10 minutes of
>> deteriorating use, the mouse dominant button stops working, then,
>> after a while, the non-dominant button stops working; this is for a
>> "laptop" computer, and, the buttons on the trackpad then are not
>> working, and the "F" buttons on the external keyboard, and the
>> <CTRL><alpha character> combination (eg, <CTRL><q>), does not work,
>> and, about all I can do is use the <CTRL><ALT><DEL> combination, to go
>> to a shutdown or reboot.
>>
>> If I reboot the sytem, and, leave it standing, with no applications
>> opened, it deteriorates as described above, after a few minutes.
>>
>> How do I find what is happening with the operating system?
>>
>> --
>> Bret Busby
>> Armadale
>> West Australia
>> (UTC+0800)
>>
>> --
>>

> Could be hardware failure.  Use "Disks" to check the hard drive.
>
> gary

If I remember correctly, a utility named memtest exists, to test the
system RAM. If a utility exists, as suggested, named disks , does a
utility exist, that goes through and checks each peripheral device for
both the driver and hardware functionality?

Whilst the above message suggests possible/probable hardware failure,
because the problem involves both the computer's built in trackpad and
keyboard, and, the external mouse and keyboard (connected via USB and
wifi, through a plug in USB wifi adaptor, I wonder whether something
like a driver, or, interrupt handler, has been corrupted.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia
(UTC+0800)

Re: Pointing devices and most of keyboard stop working on 20.10 system

Colin Law
On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 at 22:45, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> On a UbuntuMATE 20.10 system, after I reboot the computer, which I
> have to do now, every session, after about 5-10 minutes of
> deteriorating use, the mouse dominant button stops working, then,
> after a while, the non-dominant button stops working; this is for a
> "laptop" computer, and, the buttons on the trackpad then are not
> working, and the "F" buttons on the external keyboard, and the
> <CTRL><alpha character> combination (eg, <CTRL><q>), does not work,
> and, about all I can do is use the <CTRL><ALT><DEL> combination, to go
> to a shutdown or reboot.
>
> If I reboot the sytem, and, leave it standing, with no applications
> opened, it deteriorates as described above, after a few minutes.
>
> How do I find what is happening with the operating system?

I am sure you know this already Bret, but you did not say you had done
it, look in /var/log/syslog to see if there are errors there.

Colin