Posting to web server

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Posting to web server

Charles Chambers
I've got a current copy of the mirror downloaded, and I'm confused on
one point.

The repository is set up at /media/8TB/ubuntu-mirror.  The directories
are below that, and rsync is working to update that target directory.

I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 for the web server.  I have port forwarding set
up on my router to redirect calls to the public IP (currently
68.226.101.35) to the web server, which I know still needs some content.

However, I can't figure out how to set it up so that a URL of
http://68.226.101.35/ubuntu) somehow draws content from
/media/8TB/ubuntu-mirror.  Ancillary question would be how do I finish
the setup so that Apache2 would show the mirror from an address of, for
instance, http://[mirror].68.226.101.35?  This would be preferred, as I
also have the cdimage repository correctly mirrored, and stored at
/media/8TB/ubuntu-cdimage, and would like to use
http://[cdimage].68.226.101.35 for the URL.

The end result would be conformance with whatever the structure is that
is reflected in a sources.list file.

TIA

Charlie


--
ubuntu-mirrors mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-mirrors

pEpkey.asc (2K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Posting to web server

Thomas Ward-2


On 10/20/19 8:38 PM, Charles Chambers wrote:
I've got a current copy of the mirror downloaded, and I'm confused on
one point.

The repository is set up at /media/8TB/ubuntu-mirror.  The directories
are below that, and rsync is working to update that target directory.

Slightly different setup here, but I have a /srv/repository-mirror/ directory on my system set up as the mount point for the disk drive which holds my repository mirror.  This is pretty simple to set up, but where you've mounted things is irrelevant - it's the webserver setup parts that's specifically critical.

You *probably* need to point your webserver's docroot to /media/8TB/ubuntu-mirror for your web server which is running on the same machine.


I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 for the web server.  I have port forwarding set
up on my router to redirect calls to the public IP (currently
68.226.101.35) to the web server, which I know still needs some content.

However, I can't figure out how to set it up so that a URL of
http://68.226.101.35/ubuntu) somehow draws content from
/media/8TB/ubuntu-mirror.

That's a question of setting up the web server and access permissions properly.  Have you started this setup process?  If so, what web server and what is your current setup?


  Ancillary question would be how do I finish
the setup so that Apache2 would show the mirror from an address of, for
instance, http://[mirror].68.226.101.35?  This would be preferred, as I
also have the cdimage repository correctly mirrored, and stored at
/media/8TB/ubuntu-cdimage, and would like to use
http://[cdimage].68.226.101.35 for the URL.


Yeah, you can't have [text].[IPADDRESS] for a URL.  IP address bare, or get and use a domain with the URL.  This is just an Internet-ism, and DNS related, and how URL(s) are constructed.


The end result would be conformance with whatever the structure is that
is reflected in a sources.list file.

TIA

Charlie

--
ubuntu-mirrors mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-mirrors
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Posting to web server

Charles Chambers

On 10/20/19 6:05 PM, Thomas Ward wrote:

>
>
> On 10/20/19 8:38 PM, Charles Chambers wrote:
>> I've got a current copy of the mirror downloaded, and I'm confused on
>> one point.
>>
>> The repository is set up at /media/8TB/ubuntu-mirror.  The directories
>> are below that, and rsync is working to update that target directory.
>
> Slightly different setup here, but I have a /srv/repository-mirror/
> directory on my system set up as the mount point for the disk drive
> which holds my repository mirror.  This is pretty simple to set up,
> but where you've mounted things is irrelevant - it's the webserver
> setup parts that's specifically critical.
>
> You *probably* need to point your webserver's docroot to
> /media/8TB/ubuntu-mirror for your web server which is running on the
> same machine.
>
Docroot is still pointed at default - /var/www/html.  That's why the web
server is passing out the default setup page for Apache2.

>> I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 for the web server.  I have port forwarding set
>> up on my router to redirect calls to the public IP (currently
>> 68.226.101.35) to the web server, which I know still needs some content.
>>
>> However, I can't figure out how to set it up so that a URL of
>> http://68.226.101.35/ubuntu) somehow draws content from
>> /media/8TB/ubuntu-mirror.
>
> That's a question of setting up the web server and access permissions
> properly.  Have you started this setup process?  If so, what web
> server and what is your current setup?
>
Apache2, default vanilla setup at the moment.  There is actually a
second instance of Apache2 running as a local hotspot, but this instance
is still based on the default Apache2 install.

>
>>   Ancillary question would be how do I finish
>> the setup so that Apache2 would show the mirror from an address of, for
>> instance, http://[mirror].68.226.101.35?  This would be preferred, as I
>> also have the cdimage repository correctly mirrored, and stored at
>> /media/8TB/ubuntu-cdimage, and would like to use
>> http://[cdimage].68.226.101.35 for the URL.
>
>
> Yeah, you can't have [text].[IPADDRESS] for a URL.  IP address bare,
> or get and use a domain with the URL.  This is just an Internet-ism,
> and DNS related, and how URL(s) are constructed.
>
Well, OK.  Let's propose http://mirror.wiredisp.ddns.net, where
[wiredisp.ddns.net] is currently going through a dynamic DNS service.  I
had thought that 68.226.101.35 returns the default web page, and
mirror.68.226.101.35 could return the mirror, but I'm always learning. 
I understand what you're saying - you can't base a subdomain (or a
virtual server) on a URL formed on an IP address. 



--
ubuntu-mirrors mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-mirrors

pEpkey.asc (2K) Download Attachment