Power outage now my server asks for fck, what to do?

Power outage now my server asks for fck, what to do?

Bo Berglund
We had a power outage here and when power was restored it came in a
short burst then disappeared and after a little while came back and
stayed on.

But now my Ubuntu 18.04 LTS server will not start up... :(

I have now connected an old VGA monitor and a USB keyboard to the
system.
I had to a power cycle the system because nothing showed up on the
screen, and then I can see that it starts running with a lot of
commands flowing across the screen.
But then it stops with a message:

/dev/sda1: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fck MANUALLY.
(i.e. without -a or -p options)
fck exited with status code 4
done
Failure: File system check of the root fiile system failed
The root filesystem on /dev/sda1 requires a manual fck

BusyBox v1.27.2 (Ubuntu 1:1.27.2-2ubuntu3.3) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for list a of built-in commands

(initramfs) [  191.223965] usb 2-4: new......
(A bunch of hardware discovery lines follow)

At the time of the power loss the system was performing 3 video
downloads to disk, so presumably such an operation was interrupted by
the power loss.

What can I do now?
When I type help I get output showing a number of commands which do
not include the fck command...

This is not the first time I have had a power outage but it is the
first time it has not started up after power was returned.

Please advice.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden

Re: Power outage now my server asks for fck, what to do?

Robert Heller
At Mon, 04 Jan 2021 14:05:15 +0100 [hidden email], "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We had a power outage here and when power was restored it came in a
> short burst then disappeared and after a little while came back and
> stayed on.
>
> But now my Ubuntu 18.04 LTS server will not start up... :(
>
> I have now connected an old VGA monitor and a USB keyboard to the
> system.
> I had to a power cycle the system because nothing showed up on the
> screen, and then I can see that it starts running with a lot of
> commands flowing across the screen.
> But then it stops with a message:
>
> /dev/sda1: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fck MANUALLY.
> (i.e. without -a or -p options)
> fck exited with status code 4
> done
> Failure: File system check of the root fiile system failed
> The root filesystem on /dev/sda1 requires a manual fck
>
> BusyBox v1.27.2 (Ubuntu 1:1.27.2-2ubuntu3.3) built-in shell (ash)
> Enter 'help' for list a of built-in commands
>
> (initramfs) [  191.223965] usb 2-4: new......
> (A bunch of hardware discovery lines follow)
>

> At the time of the power loss the system was performing 3 video
> downloads to disk, so presumably such an operation was interrupted by
> the power loss.
>
> What can I do now?
> When I type help I get output showing a number of commands which do
> not include the fck command...

What commands are listed?  Is e2fsck listed?

It might be possible to manually mount the root file system readonly and leave
you at a single-user shell -- on all of the Linux systems *I* have ever used
this would happen automatically. I don't know about Ubuntu. I have not used
Ubuntu long enough on the bare metal to have encounted this sort of issue. Try
exiting from the busybox shell and see what happens.  If you are able to get
the root FS mounted readonly, then typing:

e2fsck /dev/sda1

will do the fs check.  Generally typing 'y' to all of the questions will work,
unless the questions go on forever.

You might need to boot off a "rescue" disk or USB stick.

> This is not the first time I have had a power outage but it is the
> first time it has not started up after power was returned.

Consider these options:

1) Get a UPS!!!

2) Consider setting your server with a RAID array for its system disk
(mirroring).

--
Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364

On Mon, 04 Jan 2021 14:05:15 +0100, Bo Berglund wrote:
>What can I do now?
>When I type help I get output showing a number of commands which do
>not include the fck command...

The command isn't named "fck" it's name is "fsck".
Run

fsck -y /dev/sda1

Re: Power outage now my server asks for fck, what to do?

Chris Green
On Mon, Jan 04, 2021 at 02:05:15PM +0100, Bo Berglund wrote:

> /dev/sda1: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fck MANUALLY.
> (i.e. without -a or -p options)
> fck exited with status code 4
> done
> Failure: File system check of the root fiile system failed
> The root filesystem on /dev/sda1 requires a manual fck

That should be fsck shouldn't it?  ... or maybe fck is similar, but
I've not come across it before.

> BusyBox v1.27.2 (Ubuntu 1:1.27.2-2ubuntu3.3) built-in shell (ash)
> Enter 'help' for list a of built-in commands
>
> (initramfs) [  191.223965] usb 2-4: new......
> (A bunch of hardware discovery lines follow)
>

> At the time of the power loss the system was performing 3 video
> downloads to disk, so presumably such an operation was interrupted by
> the power loss.
>
> What can I do now?
> When I type help I get output showing a number of commands which do
> not include the fck command...

You need to boot from an Ubuntu dvd (or usb stick) and run fsck from
that against the hard drive on your server (which won't necessarily
be /dev/sda1 then of course).

--
Chris Green

Re: Power outage now my server asks for fck, what to do?

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Mon, 4 Jan 2021 13:56:18 +0000, Chris Green wrote:
>You need to boot from an Ubuntu dvd (or usb stick) and run fsck from
>that against the hard drive on your server (which won't necessarily
>be /dev/sda1 then of course).

BusyBox provides fsck, there should be no need to boot another install
or a live media.

Re: Power outage now my server asks for fck, what to do?

On Mon, 4 Jan 2021 13:56:18 +0000, Chris Green wrote:
>which won't necessarily be /dev/sda1 then of course

True, but unlikely.

Re: Power outage now my server asks for fck, what to do?

Bo Berglund
On Mon, 4 Jan 2021 14:43:00 +0100, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Mon, 04 Jan 2021 14:05:15 +0100, Bo Berglund wrote:
>>What can I do now?
>>When I type help I get output showing a number of commands which do
>>not include the fck command...
>
>The command isn't named "fck" it's name is "fsck".

That was a typo, I had to read from the screen and type on another
unit...

>Run
>
>fsck -y /dev/sda1

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

I did that in the Busybox shell and it worked fine. Detected two files
as being corrupted and fixed them.

When the command was done I typed exit to leave the shell and the
system restarted and now it got all the way to the login prompt.
It seems to have worked fine.

A Happy Camper now....

(Need to get a UPS hooked up to this server...)

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden

Re: Power outage now my server asks for fck, what to do?

Gilles Gravier-2
Hi!

On 04/01/2021 14:43, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Jan 2021 14:05:15 +0100, Bo Berglund wrote:
>> What can I do now?
>> When I type help I get output showing a number of commands which do
>> not include the fck command...
> The command isn't named "fck" it's name is "fsck".

Yeah... What the fsck! :)

> Run
>
> fsck -y /dev/sda1

That's both usually THE solution (and the OP confirmed it worked for
them) and a very risky one (since you're giving it a blank card to do
whatever it feels necessary and you just have to hope that doesn't
result in a broken environment - which, if the system doesn't boot, to
start with, it already is).

:)

I've used that more than I would have wanted to... And so far it has
always worked for me as well.

Gilles

At Mon, 4 Jan 2021 17:19:56 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On 04/01/2021 14:43, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
> > On Mon, 04 Jan 2021 14:05:15 +0100, Bo Berglund wrote:
> >> What can I do now?
> >> When I type help I get output showing a number of commands which do
> >> not include the fck command...
> > The command isn't named "fck" it's name is "fsck".
>
> Yeah... What the fsck! :)
>

> > Run
> >
> > fsck -y /dev/sda1
>
> That's both usually THE solution (and the OP confirmed it worked for
> them) and a very risky one (since you're giving it a blank card to do
> whatever it feels necessary and you just have to hope that doesn't
> result in a broken environment - which, if the system doesn't boot, to
> start with, it already is).
>
> :)
>
> I've used that more than I would have wanted to... And so far it has
> always worked for me as well.

e[234]fs seems to be a generally fairly robust file system.

The OP should consider getting a UPS (at least) and possibly think about
implement a software RAID mirror set.  With a good UPS and the proper UPS
deamon software, the system should be able to manage a clean shutdown in the
event of a power failure.

On 04/01/2021 17:29, Robert Heller wrote:
> e[234]fs seems to be a generally fairly robust file system.
> The OP should consider getting a UPS (at least) and possibly think about
> implement a software RAID mirror set.  With a good UPS and the proper UPS
> deamon software, the system should be able to manage a clean shutdown in the
> event of a power failure.

Well RAID won't help with a power failure. It only protects against
physical drive failures. :)

But any journaling filesystem indeed would/should have handled power
failures reasonably well by itself...

Gilles

At Mon, 4 Jan 2021 17:37:01 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On 04/01/2021 17:29, Robert Heller wrote:
> > e[234]fs seems to be a generally fairly robust file system.
> > The OP should consider getting a UPS (at least) and possibly think about
> > implement a software RAID mirror set.  With a good UPS and the proper UPS
> > deamon software, the system should be able to manage a clean shutdown in the
> > event of a power failure.
>
> Well RAID won't help with a power failure. It only protects against
> physical drive failures. :)

Sudden power failures can sometimes cause drive failures.

> But any journaling filesystem indeed would/should have handled power
> failures reasonably well by itself...

Right.

On Mon, 4 Jan 2021 at 17:38, Gilles Gravier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> But any journaling filesystem indeed would/should have handled power
> failures reasonably well by itself...

I hear this a lot. As a cynical, jaded old hacker from before the era
of long filenames on FAT, I still don't really believe it or trust it.
On Windows boxes, I have quite a few times rescued a dead machine, or
one that won't boot, by simply running `CHKDSK /F` on the C drive.
NTFS is very prone to minor cumulative disk corruption which the OS
does not notice or report.

I occasionally run an `fsck` on my Macs and my Linux boxes as a
precautionary measure, and it usually finds and fixes some small
problems. As it generally is, Linux is more resilient than Windows,
but not that much more. I've certainly had Linux boxes trash their own
hard disks, many times. It is in my experience a _particular_ problem
with Btrfs, exacerbated by the fact that the disk-repair tools for
Btrfs don't really work and you are advised not to use them.

:-o Really? Avast? I.e. a free version, on Windows?

Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]

On 05/01/2021 14:47, Liam Proven wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Jan 2021 at 17:38, Gilles Gravier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> But any journaling filesystem indeed would/should have handled power
>> failures reasonably well by itself...
> I hear this a lot. As a cynical, jaded old hacker from before the era
> of long filenames on FAT, I still don't really believe it or trust it.
> On Windows boxes, I have quite a few times rescued a dead machine, or
> one that won't boot, by simply running `CHKDSK /F` on the C drive.
> NTFS is very prone to minor cumulative disk corruption which the OS
> does not notice or report.
>
> I occasionally run an `fsck` on my Macs and my Linux boxes as a
> precautionary measure, and it usually finds and fixes some small
> problems. As it generally is, Linux is more resilient than Windows,
> but not that much more. I've certainly had Linux boxes trash their own
> hard disks, many times. It is in my experience a _particular_ problem
> with Btrfs, exacerbated by the fact that the disk-repair tools for
> Btrfs don't really work and you are advised not to use them.

I've had several machines running ext4 or other journaling filesytems
survive major power failures without as much as a blink. That's the
point of having a journaling file system. Coherency is always
maintained. ZFS handles that also quite well...

Now if your filesystem is not fully supported (btrfs) or not
journalized, then this is another story.

> :-o Really? Avast? I.e. a free version, on Windows?

I don't control the OS on which my key applications are made
available... both for work (my employer provides my machine) and for my
photography work (try running DxO on Linux). Actually for work, I moved
the original Windows partition to a VMDK file, installed Ubuntu, and run
Windows in VBox (I still need Windows to authenticate to the corporate
environment).

And I use a payed version of Avast. Why do you make the assumption that
it is free?

Re: Power outage now my server asks for fck, what to do?

Liam Proven
On Tue, 5 Jan 2021 at 17:25, Gilles Gravier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've had several machines running ext4 or other journaling filesytems
> survive major power failures without as much as a blink. That's the
> point of having a journaling file system. Coherency is always
> maintained. ZFS handles that also quite well...

So far, my home ZFS box has handled several unexpected outages without
a blink. This is good.

I'm not saying it never works. I'm not saying it is no better than a
_non_-journalled FS.

(Although there is a whole other discussion to be had about
journalling filesystems on Flash media.)

I'm just saying that while many people seem to think that journalling
filesystems are safe from damage from unexpected dismounting, and that
they never need to be checked/repaired, neither is true.

> Now if your filesystem is not fully supported (btrfs) or not
> journalized, then this is another story.

Btrfs _is_ fully supported by some Linux vendors. I work for one. They
love it, and I get a _lot_ of criticism because I personally don't
like it and don't 100% trust it.

I believe Fedora is adopting it too, and may already have switched to
it for the current release. (I don't like Fedora much and do not run
it on anything, personally. This is partly why I no longer work for
Red Hat.)

> I don't control the OS on which my key applications are made
> available... both for work (my employer provides my machine) and for my
> photography work (try running DxO on Linux). Actually for work, I moved
> the original Windows partition to a VMDK file, installed Ubuntu, and run
> Windows in VBox (I still need Windows to authenticate to the corporate
> environment).

Well, no, of course not. Fair enough. I was just surprised to see it
on a Linux list, and from an FSF email address.

> And I use a payed version of Avast. Why do you make the assumption that
> it is free?

Well, 2 reasons. Avast now owns AVG; I used to work for AVG, too. In
AVG, only the freeware version used to insert itself into your sig;
this was one of the ways that the company acquired new customers --
it's a small free advertisement that did not usually upset people.

I have not seen a paid A/V program do this before.

On Tue, 5 Jan 2021 18:22:59 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
>I have not seen a paid A/V program do this before.

It's not just another ad such as "send from my branded smartphone", it
also subliminally fakes trustworthiness. "My email is secure,
since before it was delivered to you, it was checked with finest snake
oil. I'm not surprised that people add it purposely to a signature,
when using a paid version. Most people aren't geeks, so they are naive
in dealing with computers. They aren't aware about zero-day exploits or
pitfalls such as A/V software either fails, when trying to scan the
whole https://unforgettable.dk/ file, or it fails, because it doesn't
finish the scan. When sending a harmful attachment on purpose, it's
probably a funny idea to add that "This email has been checked for
viruses by Avast antivirus software." Isn't it?

Re: Power outage now my server asks for fck, what to do?

Liam Proven
On Tue, 5 Jan 2021 at 20:15, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Most people aren't geeks, so they are naive
> in dealing with computers.

Agreed.

Cf. http://www.coding2learn.org/blog/2013/07/29/kids-cant-use-computers/

8 years ago but still current.

For clarity, I am _not_ saying Gilles G is similarly naïve!

On 06/01/2021 13:33, Liam Proven wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Jan 2021 at 20:15, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>  Most people aren't geeks, so they are naive
>> in dealing with computers.
> Agreed.
>
> Cf. http://www.coding2learn.org/blog/2013/07/29/kids-cant-use-computers/
>
> 8 years ago but still current.
>
> For clarity, I am _not_ saying Gilles G is similarly naïve!

I would seriously disagree if you did, Liam. :) I've been programming in
Assembly (6800, 68k, z80, NSC800, 6502) since the 1980s, on mainframes
in FORTRAN and ADA in the 1990s on VAX 8600 and SPERRY 1100 , in C, C++
and Java (I was a betatester for the first ever Java programming course
when I was at Sun Microsystems in 1995)... I might total more computing
experience than quite a few added up here. :)

That is why I use Ubuntu on some machines, Windows on others, and
whatever actually makes the most sense on the platform and for the job
at hand...

I've had my share of having to fsck (and fsck -y) Unix disks... before
Linux was born.

Gilles

On Wed, 6 Jan 2021 13:33:08 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

>On Tue, 5 Jan 2021 at 20:15, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>  Most people aren't geeks, so they are naive
>> in dealing with computers.
>
>Agreed.
>
>Cf.
>http://www.coding2learn.org/blog/2013/07/29/kids-cant-use-computers/
>
>8 years ago but still current.
>
>For clarity, I am _not_ saying Gilles G is similarly naïve!

"I want the people who will help shape our society in the future to
understand the technology that will help shape our society in the
future. If this is going to happen, then we need to reverse the trend
that is seeing digital illiteracy exponentially increase. We need to
act together, as parents, as teachers, as policy makers. Let's build a
generation of hackers. Who's with me?"

I'm, but it's not going to happen.

Re: Power outage now my server asks for fck, what to do?

Peter Flynn
On 06/01/2021 13:03, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:> "I want the
people who will help shape our society in the future to
> understand the technology that will help shape our society in the
> future. If this is going to happen, then we need to reverse the trend
> that is seeing digital illiteracy exponentially increase. We need to
> act together, as parents, as teachers, as policy makers. Let's build a
> generation of hackers. Who's with me?"

Ralf, do you have a source for this quotation? I missed it in the thread.

I think hackers will emerge every generation by themselves anyway.

But the so-called "digital education" provided nowadays is worse than
having no digital education at all.

Peter

On Wed, 2021-01-06 at 14:03 +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:

> On 06/01/2021 13:03, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:> "I want the
> people who will help shape our society in the future to
> > understand the technology that will help shape our society in the
> > future. If this is going to happen, then we need to reverse the trend
> > that is seeing digital illiteracy exponentially increase. We need to
> > act together, as parents, as teachers, as policy makers. Let's build a
> > generation of hackers. Who's with me?"
>
> Ralf, do you have a source for this quotation? I missed it in the thread.
>
> I think hackers will emerge every generation by themselves anyway.
>
> But the so-called "digital education" provided nowadays is worse than
> having no digital education at all.

Hi Peter,

it's the last paragraph from the link provided by Liam,
http://www.coding2learn.org/blog/2013/07/29/kids-cant-use-computers/ .

I don't read such long texts very often, but this time I did.

Another quote from this 8 year old text:

"If 20 years ago 5% of us had a computer in our homes, then you could
pretty much guarantee that 95% of those computer owners were technically
literate. Today, let's assume that 95% of us have a computer in our
homes, then I would guess that around 5% of owners are technically
literate.

This is scary and I'm sure the real statistics would be scarier still.
It's something we should all be worried about."

Regards,
Ralf