Power5 / IBM iSeries / IBM pSeries

Henning Kilset Pedersen
Oops. Sent this to Ubuntu-users first, but I believe it belongs here.
**

Can anyone tell me if Ubuntu PPC works on Power5 processors/machines
from IBM? I believe the architecture is similar to Apple's G5-based
Mac's, but with an added hardware partitioning/virtualization
capability.

Has anyone tested this?

Kind regards,
Henning K. Pedersen
mopo as

Re: Power5 / IBM iSeries / IBM pSeries

Jeff Waugh-2
<quote who="Henning Kilset Pedersen">

> Oops. Sent this to Ubuntu-users first, but I believe it belongs here.

Not really, it's a usage question. :-)

> Can anyone tell me if Ubuntu PPC works on Power5 processors/machines from
> IBM? I believe the architecture is similar to Apple's G5-based Mac's, but
> with an added hardware partitioning/virtualization capability.

It works great once on the machine, but doesn't install as yet. Hopefully
with the small amount of work required, Dapper will do so smoothly.

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2006: Dunedin, New Zealand               http://linux.conf.au/

                          No pants is good pants.

tir, 08,.11.2005 kl. 09.44 -0500, skrev Jeff Waugh:
> <quote who="Henning Kilset Pedersen">
>
> > Oops. Sent this to Ubuntu-users first, but I believe it belongs here.
>
> Not really, it's a usage question. :-)

Oh well, none of those "user" characters have bothered to respond, so...
I'll stay here for the time being :)

> > Can anyone tell me if Ubuntu PPC works on Power5 processors/machines from
> > IBM? I believe the architecture is similar to Apple's G5-based Mac's, but
> > with an added hardware partitioning/virtualization capability.
>
> It works great once on the machine, but doesn't install as yet. Hopefully
> with the small amount of work required, Dapper will do so smoothly.

Okay, thanks for that information. Any tips on actually getting it ON
the machine then, since the install doesn't work? :) Installing Debian
and apt-get install ubuntu-desktop after
changing /etc/apt/sources.list ? :)

Regards,
Henning Pedersen

Re: Power5 / IBM iSeries / IBM pSeries

Jan-Frode Myklebust-2
If we could create a minimal image of an installation, I guess
it should be easy enough to put this on a virtual root disk via
the vio-server, and afterwards apt-get it to a more functional
system.

I'm getting my OpenPOWER-system next week, and hope to eventually
get ubuntu on it... Maybe i can create the initial image on my
PowerMac/ppc970, unless someone else steps forward with an easier
solution :-)

  -jf