Printer Problem

Peter Goggin-2
I have a lenovo t400 laptop with Ubuntu 16.04 installed. I am running a
virtual box with windows XP installed. I can see and use all of my usb
printers in the windows machine. None of them show in the basic ubuntu
system.  I have cups installed.

I have a lenovo X61s laptop and the printers are availbale in both
ubuntu and windows virtual machine.

As work around by  saving files in a linked directory I can print from
windows

Any suggestions

Thanks in advance

Peter Goggin

Re: Printer Problem

Nils Kassube-2
Peter wrote:
> I have a lenovo t400 laptop with Ubuntu 16.04 installed. I am running
> a virtual box with windows XP installed. I can see and use all of my
> usb printers in the windows machine. None of them show in the basic
> ubuntu system.  I have cups installed.
>
> I have a lenovo X61s laptop and the printers are availbale in both
> ubuntu and windows virtual machine.

If you have a USB device attached to the virtual machine, it is no
longer available for the host. Therefore I would guess, that the USB
printers are assinged to the XP virtual machine of the t400. On the
x61s the printers are not assinged to the VM and therefore they are
usable to the host while they are also visible to the VM because they
are shared over the network.

Nils

Re: Printer Problem

Peter Goggin-2
So far as I can tell the setup for ubuntu is the same for both laptop.
On both laptops Ubuntu can see my USB scanner. The usb settins for the
virtual machines look the same on both laptops.

If the usb ports had been assigned to the virtual machine on the T400
then I do not understand how ubuntu can see the usb scanner. It doe not
make any difference whether the virtual machine is running or not.

I have removed and reinstalled the cups printer system on the T400 but
it makes no difference.

Cups version  is 1.5.7 on bi]oth laptops.

Regards

Peter Goggin

On 23/01/17 17:35, Nils Kassube wrote:

> Peter wrote:
>> I have a lenovo t400 laptop with Ubuntu 16.04 installed. I am running
>> a virtual box with windows XP installed. I can see and use all of my
>> usb printers in the windows machine. None of them show in the basic
>> ubuntu system.  I have cups installed.
>>
>> I have a lenovo X61s laptop and the printers are availbale in both
>> ubuntu and windows virtual machine.
> If you have a USB device attached to the virtual machine, it is no
> longer available for the host. Therefore I would guess, that the USB
> printers are assinged to the XP virtual machine of the t400. On the
> x61s the printers are not assinged to the VM and therefore they are
> usable to the host while they are also visible to the VM because they
> are shared over the network.
>

> Nils

Re: Printer Problem

Peter Silva
Individual ports are assigned, it isn't that all USB ports are assigned to the VM, but that the one used by the printer might or might not be.   Are you saying that you unplugged the printer and plugged a scanner into the same port, and it was visible to ubuntu, where the printer wasn't?  and this was the same on both laptops?

If that is what it is, then it might be that you have set up ubuntu as a printer server on the laptop that works, and that the windows vm sees it as a network printer.

As others have said:  The USB port used by the printer needs to be assigned to either the host or the VM.   Whichever it is assigned to then needs to 'share' it with the other.   They don't both use the same USB at the same time.

Peter wrote:
> So far as I can tell the setup for ubuntu is the same for both laptop.
> On both laptops Ubuntu can see my USB scanner. The usb settins for
> the virtual machines look the same on both laptops.

Maybe you should tell us the printer type - is it a combined printer /
scanner? Or do you have a separate scanner, like Peter Silva presumed?
If it is a combined device, it would be a bit strange if you can see the
scanner and not the printer because they would share the USB ID.

> If the usb ports had been assigned to the virtual machine on the T400
> then I do not understand how ubuntu can see the usb scanner. It doe
> not make any difference whether the virtual machine is running or
> not.

If the XP guest can see the printer and the host can not see it, the USB
ID of the printer must be assinged to the VM - unless it also has a wifi
interface by which you can access the printer over your LAN. But if the
VM isn't running, the USB ID of the printer is assinged to the host, so
the printer should be visible in Ubuntu. Please check it with the
command

lsusb

in a terminal, with and without the VM running. If a device is assinged
to a VM, it would only be visible in Ubuntu while the VM is not running.

Then there is still the question, if there is a printer driver needed
for Ubuntu and if it is installed on both machines. For some Epson
printers you may need an extra driver from the manufacturer. And I
remember that there were problems with the hplip package of some
previous Ubuntu releases several years ago, where you had to download a
more recent version from the hplip download page to make some HP
printers work.

Nils

Re: Printer Problem

Peter Goggin-2

On 24/01/17 17:58, Nils Kassube wrote:

> Maybe you should tell us the printer type - is it a combined printer /
> scanner? Or do you have a separate scanner, like Peter Silva presumed?
> If it is a combined device, it would be a bit strange if you can see the
> scanner and not the printer because they would share the USB ID.
>
>> If the usb ports had been assigned to the virtual machine on the T400
>> then I do not understand how ubuntu can see the usb scanner. It doe
>> not make any difference whether the virtual machine is running or
>> not.
> If the XP guest can see the printer and the host can not see it, the USB
> ID of the printer must be assinged to the VM - unless it also has a wifi
> interface by which you can access the printer over your LAN. But if the
> VM isn't running, the USB ID of the printer is assinged to the host, so
> the printer should be visible in Ubuntu. Please check it with the
> command
>
> lsusb
>
> in a terminal, with and without the VM running. If a device is assinged
> to a VM, it would only be visible in Ubuntu while the VM is not running.
>
> Then there is still the question, if there is a printer driver needed
> for Ubuntu and if it is installed on both machines. For some Epson
> printers you may need an extra driver from the manufacturer. And I
> remember that there were problems with the hplip package of some
> previous Ubuntu releases several years ago, where you had to download a
> more recent version from the hplip download page to make some HP
> printers work.
>

> Nils

I tries lusb with and without the virtual machine running and got
exactly the same result in both cases.
If the usb ports have somehow been assigned to the virtual machine how
do I unassign them.
By the way the scanner is visible to both the ubuntu machine and the
virtual machine.
Pth printer is a brother hl-w2130 and works perfectly with ubuntu and
virtual machines on two other lenovo laptops.
Is it worth recreating Uubuntu  then adding in the virtual machine aqfer
checking the prointer and scanners work in Ubuntu.  The cups program on
the problem machine does not detect any printers including a networked
samsung CLP-320N. All the other laptops can find and install this printer.

Regards

Peter Goggin

Re: Printer Problem

Peter Goggin-2
The situation with usb is complicated. All other programs apart from
cups can see devices on USB ports, including scanners and multifunction
HDD unit, external usb disk drives.Virtual machine can also see all usb
devices including printers scanners and hubs.

It is only the cups program that is unable to printers, either usb or
network. I don't have a wifi printer so I can't check whether the cups
program would be able to pick it up.

So my question is simple: Is there any other progrqm apart from cups
which can be used to run printers in Ubuntu?

If not do I need to reinstall linux and start again?

Regards

Peter Goggin

Re: Printer Problem

achbar -
hello peter parker. or whatever you are...
stop talking about printing in ubuntu please. you should try another
distros i suggest you to do it on Debian. good luck

On 1/23/17, Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a lenovo t400 laptop with Ubuntu 16.04 installed. I am running a
> virtual box with windows XP installed. I can see and use all of my usb
> printers in the windows machine. None of them show in the basic ubuntu
> system.  I have cups installed.
>
> I have a lenovo X61s laptop and the printers are availbale in both
> ubuntu and windows virtual machine.
>
> As work around by  saving files in a linked directory I can print from
> windows
>
> Any suggestions
>
> Thanks in advance
>

> Peter Goggin

Re: Printer Problem

achbar -
i know your problem. and ilove ubuntu so much but. you really need to
install another distros that have great library for printer. just
install Debian now. it have great library for printing anything you
want. and you can send me request great linux for printing if you
want. im waiting for you. and iam wellcome

On 1/25/17, Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The situation with usb is complicated. All other programs apart from
> cups can see devices on USB ports, including scanners and multifunction
> HDD unit, external usb disk drives.Virtual machine can also see all usb
> devices including printers scanners and hubs.
>
> It is only the cups program that is unable to printers, either usb or
> network. I don't have a wifi printer so I can't check whether the cups
> program would be able to pick it up.
>
> So my question is simple: Is there any other progrqm apart from cups
> which can be used to run printers in Ubuntu?
>
> If not do I need to reinstall linux and start again?
>
> Regards
>
> Peter Goggin

Re: Printer Problem

Nils Kassube-2
Peter wrote (in two mails):
> On 24/01/17 17:58, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Maybe you should tell us the printer type - is it a combined printer
> > / scanner? Or do you have a separate scanner, like Peter Silva
> > presumed? If it is a combined device, it would be a bit strange if
> > you can see the scanner and not the printer because they would
> > share the USB ID.

> > But if the VM isn't running, the USB ID of the printer is
> > assinged to the host, so the printer should be visible in Ubuntu.
> > Please check it with the command
> >
> > lsusb
> >
> > in a terminal, with and without the VM running.

> I tries lusb with and without the virtual machine running and got
> exactly the same result in both cases.

OK, then the printer is not assinged to the VM.

> By the way the scanner is visible to both the ubuntu machine and the
> virtual machine.
> Pth printer is a brother hl-w2130 and works perfectly with ubuntu and
> virtual machines on two other lenovo laptops.

There seems to be no HL-W2130, only a HL-2130 which is only a printer,
so everything about the scanner would be unrelated.

> Is it worth recreating Uubuntu  then adding in the virtual machine
> aqfer checking the prointer and scanners work in Ubuntu.  The cups
> program on the problem machine does not detect any printers including
> a networked samsung CLP-320N. All the other laptops can find and
> install this printer.

> It is only the cups program that is unable to printers, either usb or
> network. I don't have a wifi printer so I can't check whether the cups
> program would be able to pick it up.

Of course reinstalling would be an option - don't forget to backup your
valuable data if you decide to go that path. But probably it is only a
problem with a missing package or a bad configuration, especially if you
can't find ANY printer. Which Ubuntu version are you running and is it
the same on all the machines?

> So my question is simple: Is there any other progrqm apart from cups
> which can be used to run printers in Ubuntu?

I'm not sure if there is another program apart from CUPS. But maybe the
automatic printer detection fails for some reason, so you could try to
start the CUPS user interface at <http://localhost:631/admin>.  There
you could install a new printer and you should be able to find your
network printer (samsung CLP-320N). It will ask for username and
password - use the credentials which you use to login to the machine.

See also <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Printers> and
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PrintingCupsWebInterface>.

Nils

Re: Printer Problem

Peter Goggin-2

On 25/01/17 20:07, Nils Kassube wrote:

> Peter wrote (in two mails):
>> On 24/01/17 17:58, Nils Kassube wrote:
>>> Maybe you should tell us the printer type - is it a combined printer
>>> / scanner? Or do you have a separate scanner, like Peter Silva
>>> presumed? If it is a combined device, it would be a bit strange if
>>> you can see the scanner and not the printer because they would
>>> share the USB ID.
>>> But if the VM isn't running, the USB ID of the printer is
>>> assinged to the host, so the printer should be visible in Ubuntu.
>>> Please check it with the command
>>>
>>> lsusb
>>>
>>> in a terminal, with and without the VM running.
>> I tries lusb with and without the virtual machine running and got
>> exactly the same result in both cases.
> OK, then the printer is not assinged to the VM.
>
>> By the way the scanner is visible to both the ubuntu machine and the
>> virtual machine.
>> Pth printer is a brother hl-w2130 and works perfectly with ubuntu and
>> virtual machines on two other lenovo laptops.
> There seems to be no HL-W2130, only a HL-2130 which is only a printer,
> so everything about the scanner would be unrelated.
>
>> Is it worth recreating Uubuntu  then adding in the virtual machine
>> aqfer checking the prointer and scanners work in Ubuntu.  The cups
>> program on the problem machine does not detect any printers including
>> a networked samsung CLP-320N. All the other laptops can find and
>> install this printer.
>> It is only the cups program that is unable to printers, either usb or
>> network. I don't have a wifi printer so I can't check whether the cups
>> program would be able to pick it up.
> Of course reinstalling would be an option - don't forget to backup your
> valuable data if you decide to go that path. But probably it is only a
> problem with a missing package or a bad configuration, especially if you
> can't find ANY printer. Which Ubuntu version are you running and is it
> the same on all the machines?
>
>> So my question is simple: Is there any other progrqm apart from cups
>> which can be used to run printers in Ubuntu?
> I'm not sure if there is another program apart from CUPS. But maybe the
> automatic printer detection fails for some reason, so you could try to
> start the CUPS user interface at <http://localhost:631/admin>.  There
> you could install a new printer and you should be able to find your
> network printer (samsung CLP-320N). It will ask for username and
> password - use the credentials which you use to login to the machine.
>
> See also <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Printers> and
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PrintingCupsWebInterface>.
>

> Nils

I am running ubuntu 16.04 on all my laptops. So far as I know the
installations should be identical as I started them all fro the DVD.

They all have the same software installed  - libre office , virtual
machine running Windows XP, firefox, thunderbird etc.

Regards

Peter Goggin

Re: Printer Problem

Nils Kassube-2
Peter wrote:

> On 25/01/17 20:07, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > I'm not sure if there is another program apart from CUPS. But maybe
> > the automatic printer detection fails for some reason, so you could
> > try to start the CUPS user interface at
> > <http://localhost:631/admin>.  There you could install a new
> > printer and you should be able to find your network printer
> > (samsung CLP-320N). It will ask for username and password - use the
> > credentials which you use to login to the machine.
> >
> > See also <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Printers> and
> > <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PrintingCupsWebInterface>.

> I am running ubuntu 16.04 on all my laptops. So far as I know the
> installations should be identical as I started them all fro the DVD.
>
> They all have the same software installed  - libre office , virtual
> machine running Windows XP, firefox, thunderbird etc.

Thanks for the info. As the machines all have the same Ubuntu version
installed, it should really be a question of installed packages or a
configuration problem.

Can you please try to install the networked printer via the CUPS
interface and report back about what happens.

Now there are two things I didn't notice earlier. In a previous mail you
wrote:

> The situation with usb is complicated. All other programs apart from
> cups can see devices on USB ports, including scanners and
> multifunction HDD unit, external usb disk drives.Virtual machine can
> also see all usb devices including printers scanners and hubs.

Do you mean, Windows XP in the virtual machine can see the USB devices
while the Linux host can also see them? For some reason I thought you
were using virtualbox as virtualization software, but maybe that was
wrong. If you would use virtualbox, the VM would only see the USB
devices which are assigned to the VM by user selection and then the host
can't see them while the VM is running. However you asked where you
could remove a USB assignment, and therefore I think you might not be
using Virtualbox but something else instead. Can you please tell us
which virtualization software you use.

And the second question is about the lsusb command we discussed
previously: When you entered the command on the machine which can't see
the printer, did you see a line which showed the printer ID? I think
there should be the manufacturer name (Brother) and probably also the
printer name mentioned.

Nils

Re: Printer Problem

Peter Goggin-2

wrote:

[...]

The output from lsusb on both laptops , with and without the Virtual machine open
On x61s with scanner and printer connected and on. Both devices are avaible in Ubuntu  and in my
Oracle Virtualbox 5.0.24

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04b8:0122 Seiko Epson Corp. GT-F520/GT-F570 [Perfection 3590 PHOTO]
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 04f9:003f Brother Industries, Ltd
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0483:2016 STMicroelectronics Fingerprint Reader
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

On T400 with scanner and printer connected and Oracle Virtual box closed
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 04b8:0122 Seiko Epson Corp. GT-F520/GT-F570 [Perfection 3590 PHOTO]
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04f9:003f Brother Industries, Ltd
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 17ef:1004 Lenovo Integrated Webcam
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04b3:4485 IBM Corp. Serial Converter
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 0a5c:2145 Broadcom Corp. BCM2045B (BDC-2.1) [Bluetooth Controller]
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 08ff:2810 AuthenTec, Inc. AES2810
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Virtual Machine open
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 04b8:0122 Seiko Epson Corp. GT-F520/GT-F570 [Perfection 3590 PHOTO]
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04f9:003f Brother Industries, Ltd
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 17ef:1004 Lenovo Integrated Webcam
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04b3:4485 IBM Corp. Serial Converter
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 0a5c:2145 Broadcom Corp. BCM2045B (BDC-2.1) [Bluetooth Controller]
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 08ff:2810 AuthenTec, Inc. AES2810
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Obviously the devices are recognised at the USB port level but on the T400 cups does not see the printer. Xsane finds the scanner whether the virtual box is open or closed. The virtual box sees both the printer and the scanner.
 I have removed and reinstalled the cups program but ubuntu still cannot configure the usb printer or the network printer, whereas the Virtual box can see and use both.
I have 3 other laptops (another t400 and R61) and these both work correctly with the prinnters available in Ubuntu and the virtual machine.

Regards

Peter Goggin

Re: Printer Problem

Nils Kassube-2
Peter wrote:

> The output from lsusb on both laptops , with and without the Virtual
> machine open
>
> On x61s with scanner and printer connected and on. Both devices are
> avaible in Ubuntu  and in my Oracle Virtualbox 5.0.24
>
> Bus 002 Device 003: ID 04f9:003f Brother Industries, Ltd
>
> On T400 with scanner and printer connected and Oracle Virtual box
> closed

> Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04f9:003f Brother Industries, Ltd

> Obviously the devices are recognised at the USB port level but on the
> T400 cups does not see the printer. Xsane finds the scanner whether
> the virtual box is open or closed. The virtual box sees both the
> printer and the scanner.
>   I have removed and reinstalled the cups program but ubuntu still
> cannot configure the usb printer or the network printer, whereas the
> Virtual box can see and use both.

Thanks for the update. I agree that the printer seems to be visible on
both machines. When you reinstalled cups, was it only the package "cups"
or did you reinstall the other packages with cups in their name as well?
If it was only the package cups, the I would suggest to also reinstall
the other packages. Other than that, I have no further idea.

Nils

Re: Printer Problem

Peter Goggin-2

wrote:

[...]

In desperation I reinstalled Ubuntu 16.04. Ubuntu now sees the printers etc. However I cannot get the Virtual Box to see the usb ports.

When I first set this up VirtualBox was in the repository for Ubuntu 14.04.  After it was all working I upgraded rather the installed 16.04.
Presumably one of the many upgrades to 16.04 broke the system as far as seeing usb printers in ubuntu.

Now I have to get my virtual box working.  I tried the latest version for ubuntu 16.04 but while I can see my windows programs and run them I cannot see any usb ports.
 Can any one advise from where I should down load the software and extension packs ? Should I use Oracle's site?

Since I cannot see Virtual Box in the installed software list I did not know how to remove it so I have done a clean install of Ubuntu 16.04.  All of my own software in the home directory is regularly backed up so I have not lost any data.

What repository etc do I need to add to keep the virtual box properly updated?

It is many years since I have worked at terminal level in Linux and at 82  it can get a bit confusing.

Regards

Peter Goggin

Re: Printer Problem

Karl Auer
On Sat, 2017-01-28 at 22:09 +1100, Peter wrote:
> When I first set this up VirtualBox was in the repository for Ubuntu
> 14.04.  After it was all working I upgraded rather the installed
> 16.04.

Coming to this late; apologies if the following has already been
suggested.

Double check the VirtualBox version(s) you have installed on the
working vs the non-working system, if you still have a working system
to compare with. I seem to recall that earlier versions didn't support
USB properly (or did - something to do with USB anyway). Sorry to
guess; I don't use USB with VirtualBox, so no experience there.

You can download any older version from virtualbox.org, so you can
match versions with your working system. If you are definitely running
identical versions, then I guess the issue has to be with changes to
Ubuntu itself. USB does get changed under the hood a fair bit (though
usually for the better!)

> It is many years since I have worked at terminal level in Linux and
> at 82 it can get a bit confusing.

Don't put yourself down. Getting confused is not confined to the
elderly, I assure you. I have the stabbed, burned, shot-up and stomped
on ex-hardware to prove it.[1]

Regards, K.

[1] Only in my imagination. But if swearing could physically damage
stuff there would be a LOT of wreckage around the house.

Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: A52E F6B9 708B 51C4 85E6 1634 0571 ADF9 3C1C 6A3A
Old fingerprint: E00D 64ED 9C6A 8605 21E0 0ED0 EE64 2BEE CBCB C38B

Report Problems with LibreOffice base

Peter Goggin-2

I have LibreOffice installed form the Ubuntu repository. Although it
provides menu to create reports and to run them any attempt to use these
menu options causes the data base to crash.  Earlier version of Libre
Office worked well and I could produce and print reports.

Does the install from the repository include the reporting software?
If not where can I download and install it?
Is there another reporting program I can use with Libre office?
The Libre Office  release I am using is Version: 6.0.7.3
Build ID: 1:6.0.7-0ubuntu0.18.04.10
CPU threads: 2; OS: Linux 4.15; UI render: default; VCL: x11;
Locale: en-AU (en_AU.UTF-8); Calc: group

The ubuntu release is 18.04.3 LTS (32 bit)

Regards

Peter Goggin

Re: Report Problems with LibreOffice base

Tommy Trussell

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 10:44 PM Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have LibreOffice installed form the Ubuntu repository. Although it
provides menu to create reports and to run them any attempt to use these
menu options causes the data base to crash.  Earlier version of Libre
Office worked well and I could produce and print reports.

Does the install from the repository include the reporting software?
If not where can I download and install it?

Is there another reporting program I can use with Libre office?
The Libre Office  release I am using is Version: 6.0.7.3
Build ID: 1:6.0.7-0ubuntu0.18.04.10
The ubuntu release is 18.04.3 LTS (32 bit)

Under Disco 19.04 the supplied version of Libreoffice (standard Ubuntu repository) is 6.2.7-0ubuntu0.1.

To install the reporting software (under your version of Ubuntu OR mine), the package is called

  libreoffice-report-builder

I have not tried it in a few releases, but historically the report builder has not been as polished as Libreoffice Writer.

There may be other utilities you can use with libreoffice-base, though I doubt there are many "free" ones -- in other words you might be able to pay to get a better report writer, but I do not have any recommendations for that.

On Sun, 13 Oct 2019 at 05:44, Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have LibreOffice installed form the Ubuntu repository. Although it
> provides menu to create reports and to run them any attempt to use these
> menu options causes the data base to crash.

Disclaimer: I don't know if this is current.

Some parts of LO are written in Java. The suite as a whole will
install and run but some functions won't without a JVM.

Install ubuntu-restricted-extras and the current iceadtea version for
your version of Ubuntu. Reboot and try again.