Printer problem

Richard Kimber
After upgrading to 18.04 I am no longer able to install my printer.

With 17.10 I had a Canon MX920 operating as a network printer. However
the upgrade has removed this and I am now prevented from installing the
printer.

The printer and its IP address are detected, but after doing its search
for drivers, the setup program gives a cups server error:
"server-error-internal-error".

I have tried re-installing Cups, but to no effect. Any suggestions?

Strangely, I am able to print from Libre Office, even though no printer
appears to be installed, but I cannot print from other programs (e.g.
Pluma).

--
Richard Kimber

Re: Printer problem

Liam Proven
On Wed, 16 May 2018 at 14:21, Richard Kimber <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> After upgrading to 18.04 I am no longer able to install my printer.

> With 17.10 I had a Canon MX920 operating as a network printer. However
> the upgrade has removed this and I am now prevented from installing the
> printer.

> The printer and its IP address are detected, but after doing its search
> for drivers, the setup program gives a cups server error:
> "server-error-internal-error".

> I have tried re-installing Cups, but to no effect. Any suggestions?

> Strangely, I am able to print from Libre Office, even though no printer
> appears to be installed, but I cannot print from other programs (e.g.
> Pluma).

There is a Linux driver for download, although it's very old:

http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/contents/ASIA/EN/0100517002.html

Do these help?

https://askubuntu.com/questions/326723/how-to-install-canon-mx922-printer

http://tipsonubuntu.com/2016/08/14/canon-printer-driver-scangear-mp-ubuntu-16-04/

Email: [hidden email] • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

Re: Printer problem

Richard Kimber
On Wed, 16 May 2018 14:25:08 +0200
Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for replying.

I saw these drivers but wasn't sure they were the
answer. There is no error when the printer install says it is searching
for drivers. That seems to complete OK. The error occurs on the next
screen.

Also, I see they have a driver for Macs that is described as 'CUPS'
but the linux one doesn't mention cups, so I wasn't sure if it would be
the right one. It's about 6 years old, iirc.

--
Richard Kimber

Re: Printer problem

Liam Proven
On Wed, 16 May 2018 at 15:40, Richard Kimber <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also, I see they have a driver for Macs that is described as 'CUPS'
> but the linux one doesn't mention cups, so I wasn't sure if it would be
> the right one. It's about 6 years old, iirc.

Yes, you're right, they are old, but they seem to be the only ones, and as
one of those links said, they work on 16.04. On 18.04, I don't know, but
it's worth a try.

Email: [hidden email] • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

Re: Printer problem

Richard Kimber
On Wed, 16 May 2018 16:46:31 +0200
Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, you're right, they are old, but they seem to be the only ones,
> and as one of those links said, they work on 16.04. On 18.04, I don't
> know, but it's worth a try.

You were right. It worked - although it complained about package
libpango1.0-0  not being  installed. Once I'd installed that the
installation proceeded more or less OK, although I did get a series of
what appeared to be harmless errors that related to i386, e.g.:
 /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu_EGL.conf: no such file or directory

Once installed, it went through a simple command line setup offering
USB or network and I can now print from Pluma. The printer now appears
in the System>Administration>Printers window.

Maybe what was preventing me setting up the printer in the first place
was the absence of libpango1.0-0 . Perhaps it would have worked
normally if that package had been installed. A bug maybe?

Thanks for your help.
--
Richard Kimber

Re: Printer problem

Liam Proven
On Wed, 16 May 2018 at 18:56, Richard Kimber <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> You were right. It worked - although it complained about package
> libpango1.0-0  not being  installed. Once I'd installed that the
> installation proceeded more or less OK, although I did get a series of
> what appeared to be harmless errors that related to i386, e.g.:
>   /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu_EGL.conf: no such file or directory

> Once installed, it went through a simple command line setup offering
> USB or network and I can now print from Pluma. The printer now appears
> in the System>Administration>Printers window.

> Maybe what was preventing me setting up the printer in the first place
> was the absence of libpango1.0-0 . Perhaps it would have worked
> normally if that package had been installed. A bug maybe?

> Thanks for your help.

Great -- glad to hear it!