Printing on Epson Printers

Bugzilla from dhcolesj@gmail.com
What does Debian have against Epson Printers?

Every time I upgrade, or update my system I have to play for hours trying to
get some epson printer driver to work with my Epson Stylus 740, or my Epson
Stylus C80.

SUSE prints just fine, as does windoze.  However, when I plug the printer up
to my Home PC (be-it either Debian sarge or sid, or KUBUNTU Breezy) I have to
fight it for hours to get it to print! The standard Foomatic print drivers
were working just fine, but then some bright person on the Debian team
decided to switch gears, not once, but twice (first to the "gimp-print"
drivers, then "gutten-print" (spelling?) drivers)!  and instead of leaving
the foomatic support in for backward compatibility, they decided to take out
all the foomatic drivers completely!  At one point I was able to copy the
foomatic driver down from SUSE 9.3, and it worked, but now after updating via
apt-get, I can't even make that work.

I'm sorry for the harsh tone, but it is 2:24 AM, and I've been fighting this
since Midnight.  And I'd really appreciate someone's help.  I need this Epson
Stylus Color 740 to print in 720 dpi sooner than later.

You may be thinking, it must be your machine.  However, this happens across
three different hardware platforms, two Epson printers, and three versions of
Debian, (Etch, Sid, and Kubuntu).

I need help, because I can't keep doing this, staying up till 2 am trying to
get the Church bulletins printed.
--

See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

http://home.comcast.net/~HA-reliv

Re: Printing on Epson Printers

Bugzilla from art.alexion@verizon.net
Howard Coles Jr. wrote:

>What does Debian have against Epson Printers?
>
>Every time I upgrade, or update my system I have to play for hours trying to
>get some epson printer driver to work with my Epson Stylus 740, or my Epson
>Stylus C80.
>
>SUSE prints just fine, as does windoze.  However, when I plug the printer up
>to my Home PC (be-it either Debian sarge or sid, or KUBUNTU Breezy) I have to
>fight it for hours to get it to print! The standard Foomatic print drivers
>were working just fine, but then some bright person on the Debian team
>decided to switch gears, not once, but twice (first to the "gimp-print"
>drivers, then "gutten-print" (spelling?) drivers)!  and instead of leaving
>the foomatic support in for backward compatibility, they decided to take out
>all the foomatic drivers completely!  At one point I was able to copy the
>foomatic driver down from SUSE 9.3, and it worked, but now after updating via
>apt-get, I can't even make that work.
>
>I'm sorry for the harsh tone, but it is 2:24 AM, and I've been fighting this
>since Midnight.  And I'd really appreciate someone's help.  I need this Epson
>Stylus Color 740 to print in 720 dpi sooner than later.
>
>You may be thinking, it must be your machine.  However, this happens across
>three different hardware platforms, two Epson printers, and three versions of
>Debian, (Etch, Sid, and Kubuntu).
>

>I need help, because I can't keep doing this, staying up till 2 am trying to
>get the Church bulletins printed.

I'm finding foomatic in the standard repositories.  I can print to a
samba mounted 740.

--

Art Alexion

PGP fingerprint: 52A4 B10C AA73 096F A661  92D2 3B65 8EAC ACC5 BA7A
The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c