Problem installing 16.04 LTS

John R. Sowden
Got a new 2 TB drive that I put Mate on.  Haven't figured out the
specific benefit of Mate, ergo I am going back to xubuntu. Problems:

1) I had a 512MB partition on the 2 TB drive and one more for Ubuntu
Mate.  I tried to do a new install but I could not re-write sda1 (512
MB).  No error messages, etc. Grrrrrrrr.  I went back to the try it out
CD mode, and deleted the partitions sda1 and the rest, sda2.  Then, ...

2) I rebooted and started the install (again), I set up the partitions
for 1, 2 and 3.  When I got to 4, I tried to set up an "extended
partition" for all the others that I wanted.  No option for extended, no
help, no error.

So here I am.  Using a Windows O/S laptop to ask for Ubuntu help (ironic).

John

Re: Problem installing 16.04 LTS

Colin Law

On 30 Jul 2016 4:25 a.m., "John" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Got a new 2 TB drive that I put Mate on.  Haven't figured out the specific benefit of Mate, ergo I am going back to xubuntu. Problems:
>
> 1) I had a 512MB partition on the 2 TB drive and one more for Ubuntu Mate.  I tried to do a new install but I could not re-write sda1 (512 MB).  No error messages, etc. Grrrrrrrr.  I went back to the try it out CD mode, and deleted the partitions sda1 and the rest, sda2.  Then, ...
>
> 2) I rebooted and started the install (again), I set up the partitions for 1, 2 and 3.  When I got to 4, I tried to set up an "extended partition" for all the others that I wanted.  No option for extended, no help, no error.
>
> So here I am.  Using a Windows O/S laptop to ask for Ubuntu help (ironic).

Boot from the DVD and run gparted to partition the disk the way you want, then run the installer. The installer only copes with simple partitioning.
In fact I keep a gparted CD (there is an image for that) for just this sort of situation.

Colin

On 30 July 2016 at 05:25, John <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Got a new 2 TB drive that I put Mate on.  Haven't figured out the specific
> benefit of Mate, ergo I am going back to xubuntu. Problems:
>
> 1) I had a 512MB partition on the 2 TB drive and one more for Ubuntu Mate.
> I tried to do a new install but I could not re-write sda1 (512 MB).  No
> error messages, etc. Grrrrrrrr.  I went back to the try it out CD mode, and
> deleted the partitions sda1 and the rest, sda2.  Then, ...
>
> 2) I rebooted and started the install (again), I set up the partitions for
> 1, 2 and 3.  When I got to 4, I tried to set up an "extended partition" for
> all the others that I wanted.  No option for extended, no help, no error.
>
> So here I am.  Using a Windows O/S laptop to ask for Ubuntu help (ironic).

The maximum size for a  Master Boot Record hard disk is 2TB. So, for a
2TB drive, so long as your PC has UEFI firmware instead of a BIOS, the
standard recommendation is to use GUID partitioning, A.K.A. a GPT --
GUID Partition Table -- instead of the old MBR.

This means no more primary/extended/logical partitions. They are a
peculiarity of MBR and are now a legacy feature.

Check if you have UEFI. If you do, use GPT. Then there is no more
primary/secondary/extended/logical difference. There are just up to
128 partitions.

Email: [hidden email] • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: [hidden email] • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven