Problem with MAN files

Ashwani Jain
HI

Today morning while checking my system mails I found a mail which I could not understand, details of mails are as follows:

From: Anacron <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Anacron job 'cron.daily' on lhotse
Date: Tue,  8 Nov 2005 07:36:58 +0530 (IST)

/etc/cron.daily/man-db:
mandb: warning: /usr/share/man/man1/4rdf.1.gz is a dangling symlink
mandb: warning: /usr/share/man/man1/4ss.1.gz is a dangling symlink
mandb: warning: /usr/share/man/man1/4versa.1.gz is a dangling symlink
mandb: warning: /usr/share/man/man1/4xml.1.gz is a dangling symlink
mandb: warning: /usr/share/man/man1/4xpath.1.gz is a dangling symlink
mandb: warning: /usr/share/man/man1/4xslt.1.gz is a dangling symlink
mandb: warning: /usr/share/man/man1/4xupdate.1.gz is a dangling symlink
mandb: warning: /usr/share/man/man1/4ss_manager.1.gz is a dangling symlink
mandb: warning: /usr/share/man/man1/4ssd.1.gz is a dangling symlink

What to do now after reading this mail ?  Please suggest, I could not even understand even what this mail want to say ?

Thanks & regards

Ashwani Jain
Systems Administrator

Re: Problem with MAN files

Peter Garrett
On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 10:02:25 +0530
Ashwani Jain <[hidden email]> wrote:

> HI
>
> Today morning while checking my system mails I found a mail which I
> could not understand, details of mails are as follows:

> From: Anacron <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Anacron job 'cron.daily' on lhotse
> Date: Tue,  8 Nov 2005 07:36:58 +0530 (IST)
>
> /etc/cron.daily/man-db:

 <snipped>

> mandb: warning: /usr/share/man/man1/4ssd.1.gz is a dangling symlink
>
> What to do now after reading this mail ?  Please suggest, I could not
> even understand even what this mail want to say ?

Relax - it is just telling you those links don't point to the right place in the man pages (probably the pages don't exist).
Anyway it isn't life threatening ;-) I see similar messages from time to time. Chances are you can delete the symlinks if the messages bother you - maybe check to see if any of those manuals are important to you. Could be a packaging bug I guess...

For instance I get a message like thiose you saw (in my case for "rmic") and I type the name of the man page and see

peter@prospero:~ $ man rmic
man: warning: /usr/share/man/man1/rmic.1.gz is a dangling symlink
No manual entry for rmic

Peter

--

Linux User #343161