Problems with KUbuntu

Christer Wickman
Hi Everybody

I would like to ask how can one upgrade from KUbuntu 18.04.1 LTS to
KUbuntu 18.10? I have tested everything I have found on forums and tips.
But nothing seems to work. I have even taken home ISO file and put on a
USB memory stick. I wondering can one upgrade through a memory stick and
not lose everything one has? Since every time I tested what forum says I
get an answer there is no new version. I switch source from Sweden to
World and even told it to normal releases. But nothing I have tried
works. I also tried to update from KDE Plasma v. 5.12.7 to newer
versions and it doesn't seem to work either. Why is it like this? Or
should I reinstall KUbuntu through the memory stick and lose everything
I have on my laptop? Hope some one can help me with this.

Yours

Christer Wickman

Re: Problems with KUbuntu

Kaj Haulrich
On 27/10/2018 05.07, Christer Wickman wrote:

> Hi Everybody
>
> I would like to ask how can one upgrade from KUbuntu 18.04.1 LTS to
> KUbuntu 18.10? I have tested everything I have found on forums and tips.
> But nothing seems to work. I have even taken home ISO file and put on a
> USB memory stick. I wondering can one upgrade through a memory stick and
> not lose everything one has? Since every time I tested what forum says I
> get an answer there is no new version. I switch source from Sweden to
> World and even told it to normal releases. But nothing I have tried
> works. I also tried to update from KDE Plasma v. 5.12.7 to newer
> versions and it doesn't seem to work either. Why is it like this? Or
> should I reinstall KUbuntu through the memory stick and lose everything
> I have on my laptop? Hope some one can help me with this.
>
> Yours
>
> Christer Wickman

 From the konsole (command-line): man do-release-upgrade

In your case, open the konsole and first make sure the system is up to
date by:

1. "sudo apt update" (without the quotes) and give the root password.
2. "sudo apt upgrade" (if upgrades are available)
3. "sudo apt clean"
4. "sudo apt autoclean"
5. "sudo apt autoremove --purge"
and then upgrade the whole shebang:
6. "sudo do-release-upgrade --mode=DESKTOP"

HTH
Kaj Haulrich.
--
Sent from my 100% Microsoft-free workstation
---- Running Linux Kubuntu 18.10 ----

Re: Problems with KUbuntu

Dale Trombley
load discover
click settings (bottom left)
next to Ubuntu (default) click the menu icon on the right side of the screen
click software sources and enter your password
on 'updates' tab click the drop down for  'Release Upgrade - Show new distribution releases' and select "Normal Releases" (I'm guessing this will say Long Term support releases only, change it to Normal releases)
Close everything and in terminal type
sudo apt update && sudo do-release-upgrade

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 12:36 AM Kaj Haulrich <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 27/10/2018 05.07, Christer Wickman wrote:
> Hi Everybody
>
> I would like to ask how can one upgrade from KUbuntu 18.04.1 LTS to
> KUbuntu 18.10? I have tested everything I have found on forums and tips.
> But nothing seems to work. I have even taken home ISO file and put on a
> USB memory stick. I wondering can one upgrade through a memory stick and
> not lose everything one has? Since every time I tested what forum says I
> get an answer there is no new version. I switch source from Sweden to
> World and even told it to normal releases. But nothing I have tried
> works. I also tried to update from KDE Plasma v. 5.12.7 to newer
> versions and it doesn't seem to work either. Why is it like this? Or
> should I reinstall KUbuntu through the memory stick and lose everything
> I have on my laptop? Hope some one can help me with this.
>
> Yours
>
> Christer Wickman

 From the konsole (command-line): man do-release-upgrade

In your case, open the konsole and first make sure the system is up to
date by:

1. "sudo apt update" (without the quotes) and give the root password.
2. "sudo apt upgrade" (if upgrades are available)
3. "sudo apt clean"
4. "sudo apt autoclean"
5. "sudo apt autoremove --purge"
and then upgrade the whole shebang:
6. "sudo do-release-upgrade --mode=DESKTOP"

HTH
Kaj Haulrich.
--
Sent from my 100% Microsoft-free workstation
---- Running Linux Kubuntu 18.10 ----

Truck driver, Linux Tech, Webmaster, and Web Admin.
Volunteer Kubuntu Linux Development Tester