Quantcast

Problems with headless system

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Problems with headless system

Jay Ridgley
Good Morning,

At least I hope you day is good...

I have a headless system that I manage via ssh from another system in my
network. This morning I got the following:

cdjsys@mateo:~$ sudo apt-get check && sudo apt-get update && sudo
apt-get dist-upgrade
-bash: /usr/bin/sudo: Input/output error
cdjsys@mateo:~$

I  tried just sudo apt-get check alone and get the same error.

I am logged on as a user in the sudoers file. Up until this morning I
never had a problem with the above command string. I am running:

Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.2.0-64-generic-pae i686)

Further investigation has yielded that many commands display the same
error. For example:

cdjsys@mateo:~$ less .bashrc
-bash: /usr/bin/less: Input/output error
cdjsys@mateo:~$

cat .bashrc works fine as does ls -la .

and shows:

-rw-r--r-- 1 cdjsys cdjsys   3214 Apr 25  2013 .bashrc

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jay
--
Jay Ridgley
jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Registered Linux User ID - 9115
https://linuxcounter.net/cert/9115.png
Registered Ubuntu User ID - 23320

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Problems with headless system

Liam Proven
On 14 April 2017 at 14:27, Jay Ridgley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good Morning,
>
> At least I hope you day is good...
>
> I have a headless system that I manage via ssh from another system in my
> network. This morning I got the following:
>
> cdjsys@mateo:~$ sudo apt-get check && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get
> dist-upgrade
> -bash: /usr/bin/sudo: Input/output error
> cdjsys@mateo:~$
>
> I  tried just sudo apt-get check alone and get the same error.
>
> I am logged on as a user in the sudoers file. Up until this morning I never
> had a problem with the above command string. I am running:
>
> Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.2.0-64-generic-pae i686)
>
> Further investigation has yielded that many commands display the same error.
> For example:
>
> cdjsys@mateo:~$ less .bashrc
> -bash: /usr/bin/less: Input/output error
> cdjsys@mateo:~$
>
> cat .bashrc works fine as does ls -la .
>
> and shows:
>
> -rw-r--r-- 1 cdjsys cdjsys   3214 Apr 25  2013 .bashrc
>
> Any ideas?

Could be lots of things. I don't have any direct ideas.

I'd check that vital filesystems (/, /var etc.) weren't full.

If they were not, I'd reboot it and perhaps do an fsck -f on root and
any others.

If it were mine, I'd probably connect a screen & keyboard & do this
locally with a bootable USB key or something.

But this is just general troubleshooting when I don't really know, TBH.


--
Liam Proven • Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn/AIM/Yahoo: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR/WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal: +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Problems with headless system

Karl Auer
In reply to this post by Jay Ridgley
On Fri, 2017-04-14 at 08:27 -0500, Jay Ridgley wrote:
> -bash: /usr/bin/sudo: Input/output error

IMHO this is almost certainly evidence of a failing disk.

If the system contains data that is valuable and not already backed up,
you should stop using the system; shut it down, retrieve the disk(s)
and begin data recovery (by professionals if the data is very
valuable). The longer you fiddle around, the more likely major data
loss becomes.

Otherwise, rebuild the system on new disks.

Regards, K.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: A52E F6B9 708B 51C4 85E6 1634 0571 ADF9 3C1C 6A3A
Old fingerprint: E00D 64ED 9C6A 8605 21E0 0ED0 EE64 2BEE CBCB C38B



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Xen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Problems with headless system

Xen
In reply to this post by Jay Ridgley
Jay Ridgley schreef op 14-04-2017 15:27:

> Any ideas?

I suggest rebooting before you jump into any conclusions, that's all.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Problems with headless system

Ralf Mardorf-2
In reply to this post by Karl Auer
On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 00:20:33 +1000, Karl Auer wrote:
>On Fri, 2017-04-14 at 08:27 -0500, Jay Ridgley wrote:
>> Input/output error  
>
>IMHO this is almost certainly evidence of a failing disk.

A failing disk and/or some other hardware is fishy. I got lots of those
errors with my old mobo, at the same time at least one disk had pending
sectors. To make a long story short, even the HDD that definitively has
got bad blocks, doesn't cause I/O errors, when "using" it with the new
mobo. I would check the disk and replace it, if it should be fishy,
since it's much likely that a fishy disk, is also the
culprit causing the I/O errors. Unfortunately something else could be
borked, too.

sudo smartctl --all /dev/...
sudo fsck -vcck /dev/...


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Problems with headless system

Jay Ridgley
On 04/14/2017 10:14 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 00:20:33 +1000, Karl Auer wrote:
>> On Fri, 2017-04-14 at 08:27 -0500, Jay Ridgley wrote:
>>> Input/output error
>>
>> IMHO this is almost certainly evidence of a failing disk.
>
> A failing disk and/or some other hardware is fishy. I got lots of those
> errors with my old mobo, at the same time at least one disk had pending
> sectors. To make a long story short, even the HDD that definitively has
> got bad blocks, doesn't cause I/O errors, when "using" it with the new
> mobo. I would check the disk and replace it, if it should be fishy,
> since it's much likely that a fishy disk, is also the
> culprit causing the I/O errors. Unfortunately something else could be
> borked, too.
>
> sudo smartctl --all /dev/...
> sudo fsck -vcck /dev/...
>
>
All,

I rebooted, a message was displayed from the ssh connection that reads:

*** /dev/mapper/mateo-root will be checked for errors at next reboot ***

I did a powerdown and powerup waited for the system to come up and
connected again, same message. Can't use fsck since the drive is mounted...

I tried to do a sudo du / and toward the end I got several messages:
"du: cannot access '(file name here)': Transport is not connected"
du did complete, however.
The drive has plenty of free space.

I did a sudo reboot and the same message appears upon connection.

I think a visit to my favorite computer shop is in order here.

I will let you know...

Cheers,
Jay
--
Jay Ridgley
jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Registered Linux User ID - 9115
https://linuxcounter.net/cert/9115.png
Registered Ubuntu User ID - 23320

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Problems with headless system

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 15:27:57 -0500, Jay Ridgley wrote:
>cannot access Transport is not connected

Regarding Google this leads to an unmount/mount issue, _not_ to borked
hardware.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Problems with headless system

Jay Ridgley
On 04/14/2017 03:52 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 15:27:57 -0500, Jay Ridgley wrote:
>> cannot access Transport is not connected
>
> Regarding Google this leads to an unmount/mount issue, _not_ to borked
> hardware.
>
>
Ralf,

After looking at the Device Mapper info on Google and examining the
/etc/fstab file, I realized the system, for some unknown reason, decided
that that was the way to handle my / partition (/dev/sda1). This
evidently happened during either at installation of at some later date,
I did not request it.

How do I remove the DM stuff via the command line? I use apt-get to do
updates but I am unsure of how to do much else.

I can modify the /etc/fstab to use legacy notation. Is that sufficient
or do I need to do more?

Thanks,
Jay

--
Jay Ridgley
jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Registered Linux User ID - 9115
https://linuxcounter.net/cert/9115.png
Registered Ubuntu User ID - 23320f

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Xen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Problems with headless system

Xen
Jay Ridgley schreef op 16-04-2017 13:17:

> After looking at the Device Mapper info on Google and examining the
> /etc/fstab file, I realized the system, for some unknown reason,
> decided that that was the way to handle my / partition (/dev/sda1).
> This evidently happened during either at installation of at some later
> date, I did not request it.
>
> How do I remove the DM stuff via the command line? I use apt-get to do
> updates but I am unsure of how to do much else.
>
> I can modify the /etc/fstab to use legacy notation. Is that sufficient
> or do I need to do more?

A device mapper is usually not a problem, particularly if you use LVM.

I don't think the solution is so simple as of present, although it could
be simple, but I cannot and no one can really see from a distance?

You would really need someone to look around your system or someone who
can pinpoint more directly what is going wrong.

Please also, just for the heck of it, check that /dev/null is not a
regular file :p

# vdir /dev/null

crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 3 Apr  4 15:49 /dev/null

There should be a 1, 3 in there :p.

But anyway it could be something like that.

Many things go wrong when certain device files are not okay (they are
special types of files).

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Loading...