Problems with screen management

Bruce Marshall
I've been running Kubuntu/xfce on 3 Amd64 machines and have run into serious problems with screen management in editors.  Moving the cursor into the screen display will often cause the data on that display to move around on its own or to become corrupted.

I have seen this in the THE editor, as well as nano and vi.   It makes the editors unusable because once data moves around, you cannot treat the data as being correct.

This is while running Kubuntu Beta 2 on an AMD64 machine.   Will try to test it on an i386 machine as well.

A very serious problem for me.

Re: Problems with screen management

Bill Vance

I'm seeing a very similar problem with Kubuntu 16.04 amd64.

Let me go through the ordering, maybe there's a clue here.
Whenever I upgrade to a new OS level, I usually wind up
screwing something up, and having to re-install 3, or 4 times
in order to fix the problem(s) in the unfamiliar new territory.

Moving up to 16.04 from 12.04, I noted the following problem(s).
Right after installing, eveything seemed to be working ok while
doing some initial setup stuff.  Then, after doing the usual update/
upgrade, weird stuff such as you describe started happening.  The
last time, the weird stuff didn't wait for the update/upgrade, but
started happening immediately.

In the Bash shell, and the editors as well, the cursor doesn't make
it all the way to the right side of the screen.  In the shell it
mostly drops down to the next line down.  In nano, it goes
behind the, "$", character, or to the other side of it.

In the shell, the command line should look something like:

# abcdefg -12345X

With the cursor at the, "X", point of the line.  Instead, it looks
something like:

# abcdefg -12345     X

If I cursor left, to fix a typo, it then looks something like this:

# abcdefg -12     X345

Also, there are missing characters.  These seem to be mostly on
the end.  For instance, two usernames are, "mml", and, "mmr".

Doing a, "ls", of the /home dir, shows two usernames as being,
"mm".  I've noticed this elsewhere, too, but mainly here.  The names
haven't changed, they just aren't being displayed properly.

I hope someone knows how to fix this.

Bill

On Sat, 14 Apr 2018, Bruce Marshall wrote:

> I've been running Kubuntu/xfce on 3 Amd64 machines and have run
> into serious problems with screen management in editors.  Moving
> the cursor into the screen display will often cause the data on
> that display to move around on its own or to become corrupted.
>
> I have seen this in the THE editor, as well as nano and vi.   It
> makes the editors unusable because once data moves around, you
> cannot treat the data as being correct.
>
> This is while running Kubuntu Beta 2 on an AMD64 machine.   Will
> try to test it on an i386 machine as well.
>
> A very serious problem for me.

Re: Problems with screen management

Bruce Marshall
Here is what I reported on the bug..  and it shows exactly what I am seeing:

Public bug reported:

Konsole screen is corrupted .. i.e. not showing true contents of a
file. Observed in nano and the THE editors and possibly in vi.

Given the file:

test of screen problems in Bionic beta 2
03/09/18 xxxxxxxxx yyyyyyyyy zzzzzzzzz qqqqqqq
03/23/18 qqqqqqqqq rrrrrrrrr sssssssss ttttttt
03/29/18 aaaaaaaaa bbbbbbbbb ccccccccc ddddddd
04/06/18
04/13/18 ddddddddd eeeeeeeee fffffff

the first screen shown in nano or THE will be:

test of screen problems in Bionic beta 2
03/09/18 x y z q
03/23/18 q r s t
03/29/18 a b c d
04/06/18
04/13/18 d e f

This occurs in Konsole under Kubuntu 18.04 beta 2 in xfce4 as well as Plasma.

Release: 18.04

From: Bill Vance <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Problems with screen management
Date: 4/15/18 2:07 PM
To: Kubuntu user technical support <[hidden email]>

I'm seeing a very similar problem with Kubuntu 16.04 amd64.

Let me go through the ordering, maybe there's a clue here.
Whenever I upgrade to a new OS level, I usually wind up
screwing something up, and having to re-install 3, or 4 times
in order to fix the problem(s) in the unfamiliar new territory.

Moving up to 16.04 from 12.04, I noted the following problem(s).
Right after installing, eveything seemed to be working ok while
doing some initial setup stuff. Then, after doing the usual update/
upgrade, weird stuff such as you describe started happening. The
last time, the weird stuff didn't wait for the update/upgrade, but
started happening immediately.

In the Bash shell, and the editors as well, the cursor doesn't make
it all the way to the right side of the screen. In the shell it
mostly drops down to the next line down. In nano, it goes
behind the, "$", character, or to the other side of it.

In the shell, the command line should look something like:

# abcdefg -12345X

With the cursor at the, "X", point of the line. Instead, it looks
something like:

# abcdefg -12345 X

If I cursor left, to fix a typo, it then looks something like this:

# abcdefg -12 X345

Also, there are missing characters. These seem to be mostly on
the end. For instance, two usernames are, "mml", and, "mmr".

Doing a, "ls", of the /home dir, shows two usernames as being,
"mm". I've noticed this elsewhere, too, but mainly here. The names
haven't changed, they just aren't being displayed properly.

I hope someone knows how to fix this.

Bill

On Sat, 14 Apr 2018, Bruce Marshall wrote:

> I've been running Kubuntu/xfce on 3 Amd64 machines and have run
> into serious problems with screen management in editors.  Moving
> the cursor into the screen display will often cause the data on
> that display to move around on its own or to become corrupted.
>
> I have seen this in the THE editor, as well as nano and vi.   It
> makes the editors unusable because once data moves around, you
> cannot treat the data as being correct.
>
> This is while running Kubuntu Beta 2 on an AMD64 machine.   Will
> try to test it on an i386 machine as well.
>
> A very serious problem for me.

Re: Problems with screen management

Bill Vance

I wish I could help, but that looks even more confusing
than what I've got.

Bill

On Sun, 15 Apr 2018, Bmarsh wrote:

> [...]
>
>       Bill
>

>       On Sat, 14 Apr 2018, Bruce Marshall wrote:
>
>       > I've been running Kubuntu/xfce on 3 Amd64 machines
>       and have run
>       > into serious problems with screen management in
>       editors.  Moving
>       > the cursor into the screen display will often cause
>       the data on
>       > that display to move around on its own or to become
>       corrupted.
>       >
>       > I have seen this in the THE editor, as well as nano
>       and vi.   It
>       > makes the editors unusable because once data moves
>       around, you
>       > cannot treat the data as being correct.
>       >
>       > This is while running Kubuntu Beta 2 on an AMD64
>       machine.   Will
>       > try to test it on an i386 machine as well.

I just noticed that the list software messed up the example I
gave below by removing some space characters.  I have
inserted some underscores to make up for this, so it shows
whats going on better, (even though it doesn't like to show
the underscore character on my system).