Programming classes LMS

Mario Đanić
Hello,

for some time I've been developing a LMS for programming
classes at university I'm attending. Currently, neither the LMS
or it's source code are available, but I'm writing here to
see the interest in something like that. I would very much appreciate
all the feedback and perhaps even help in development.

LMS is written in php (ouch!), and although it really isn't
functional right now, it is built on the concept that users
may upload solved assignments, tag their assignments,
others may comments on those assignments, and perhaps
even put it into their favorites. There is also very simple themes
system, and a password changing utility. Currently registration
of users doesn't exist, so I'm playing only with demo user :)
Concept of principal, teachers and students is integrated
in the backend, but there isn't actually nothing to take use of
it right now. Permission system still has to be thought of.
Anyway, I think this is enough for a first mail.

Opinions are welcome :) And ofcourse help ;)

Kind regards,
Mario

Re: Programming classes LMS

Gavin McCullagh-3
Hi Mario,

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007, Mario wrote:

> for some time I've been developing a LMS for programming classes at
> university I'm attending. Currently, neither the LMS or it's source code
> are available, but I'm writing here to see the interest in something like
> that. I would very much appreciate all the feedback and perhaps even help
> in development.

I guess my first question is, what does your LMS have to offer which would
make someone choose it over, say Moodle or Claroline?
        http://www.moodle.org
        http://www.unesco.org/cgi-bin/webworld/portal_freesoftware/cgi/page.cgi?g=Software%2FCourseware_Tools

Not that I doubt your system's potential, it's just that when others have
reached critical mass with full-time, paid developers, and a large
community, etc., any new entrant will need to have something that makes
them different and makes people prefer it substantially over those others.
Otherwise the best use of effort might be to contribute to furthering one
of those other projects rather than reinventing them.

Gavin