Proper way to handle britney hints

Andreas Hasenack-5
Hi,

I would like to know how to properly handle updates to the so called
"britney hints", which controls how DEP8 test failures are handled in
migrations. Particularly for the development release.

I uploaded https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ocfs2-tools/1.8.5-5ubuntu1
on Jul 31st, and it has a known failure[1][2] on s390x, for which I
proposed this branch[2]. I also pinged in #ubuntu-release several
times after that.

It seems this communication got lost somehow. Except I already got two
emails from some bot telling me my package hasn't migrated and I
should do something about it, so that part is working.

So here is me doing something about it :)

1. https://github.com/markfasheh/ocfs2-tools/issues/22
2. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ocfs2-tools/+bug/1745155
3. https://code.launchpad.net/~ahasenack/britney/ocfs2-tools-hints-1.8.5-5ubuntu1/+merge/351928

Re: Proper way to handle britney hints

Steve Langasek-6
On Mon, Aug 06, 2018 at 09:39:27AM -0300, Andreas Hasenack wrote:

> I would like to know how to properly handle updates to the so called
> "britney hints", which controls how DEP8 test failures are handled in
> migrations. Particularly for the development release.

> I uploaded https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ocfs2-tools/1.8.5-5ubuntu1
> on Jul 31st, and it has a known failure[1][2] on s390x, for which I
> proposed this branch[2]. I also pinged in #ubuntu-release several
> times after that.

> It seems this communication got lost somehow. Except I already got two
> emails from some bot telling me my package hasn't migrated and I
> should do something about it, so that part is working.

> So here is me doing something about it :)

> 1. https://github.com/markfasheh/ocfs2-tools/issues/22
> 2. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ocfs2-tools/+bug/1745155
> 3. https://code.launchpad.net/~ahasenack/britney/ocfs2-tools-hints-1.8.5-5ubuntu1/+merge/351928

It seems your MP has the review requested from a team that is not the owner
of the target branch, do you know why that is? (~ubuntu-archive vs.
~ubuntu-release)

I don't guarantee that this would have resulted in a better response, but
it's something to look at.

As for IRC pings, I don't know why your particular pings were missed, but I
personally only highlight on my own IRC nick on that channel.  I understand
it's not the most efficient for requesters and can be frustrating, but don't
hesitate to highlight me by name if you need something looked at.

I've followed through now on that particular MP.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 7:01 PM Steve Langasek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 06, 2018 at 09:39:27AM -0300, Andreas Hasenack wrote:
>
> > I would like to know how to properly handle updates to the so called
> > "britney hints", which controls how DEP8 test failures are handled in
> > migrations. Particularly for the development release.
>
> > I uploaded https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ocfs2-tools/1.8.5-5ubuntu1
> > on Jul 31st, and it has a known failure[1][2] on s390x, for which I
> > proposed this branch[2]. I also pinged in #ubuntu-release several
> > times after that.
>
> > It seems this communication got lost somehow. Except I already got two
> > emails from some bot telling me my package hasn't migrated and I
> > should do something about it, so that part is working.
>
> > So here is me doing something about it :)
>
> > 1. https://github.com/markfasheh/ocfs2-tools/issues/22
> > 2. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ocfs2-tools/+bug/1745155
> > 3. https://code.launchpad.net/~ahasenack/britney/ocfs2-tools-hints-1.8.5-5ubuntu1/+merge/351928
>
> It seems your MP has the review requested from a team that is not the owner
> of the target branch, do you know why that is? (~ubuntu-archive vs.
> ~ubuntu-release)

No, I just made the proposal and accepted the default reviewer, i.e.,
I left the "reviewer" box empty.

> I don't guarantee that this would have resulted in a better response, but
> it's something to look at.

I'll be sure to pay attention to that next time.

> As for IRC pings, I don't know why your particular pings were missed, but I
> personally only highlight on my own IRC nick on that channel.  I understand
> it's not the most efficient for requesters and can be frustrating, but don't
> hesitate to highlight me by name if you need something looked at.

Right, I don't like to ping people directly because that doesn't
"spread the load", and I've seen others just make such requests in the
channel to no one in particular, so that's the avenue I followed.

So, MP with the correct reviewer group, plus generic ping, and if
nothing happens after a day or two, ping someone directly.

> I've followed through now on that particular MP.

Thanks, much appreciated

Re: Proper way to handle britney hints

Robie Basak-4
On Mon, Aug 06, 2018 at 03:00:47PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> It seems your MP has the review requested from a team that is not the owner
> of the target branch, do you know why that is? (~ubuntu-archive vs.
> ~ubuntu-release)

Is the branch reviewer set wrong? I can't see what it is set to,
presumably because I'm not in ~ubuntu-release.

On Tue, Aug 07, 2018 at 10:42:43AM +0100, Robie Basak wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 06, 2018 at 03:00:47PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > It seems your MP has the review requested from a team that is not the owner
> > of the target branch, do you know why that is? (~ubuntu-archive vs.
> > ~ubuntu-release)

> Is the branch reviewer set wrong? I can't see what it is set to,
> presumably because I'm not in ~ubuntu-release.

It looks correct in the launchpad UI.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/

Re: Proper way to handle britney hints

Sebastien Bacher
Le 07/08/2018 à 00:00, Steve Langasek a écrit :
> It seems your MP has the review requested from a team that is not the owner
> of the target branch, do you know why that is? (~ubuntu-archive vs.
> ~ubuntu-release)

Just as a data point, I just did a mp for britney hints changes and the
reviewer has been set to ~ubuntu-release (I had initially let the
default target branch which was lp:britney and that mp defaulted to
~ubuntu-archive as reviewer though, which seems correct)

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 4:54 AM Sebastien Bacher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 07/08/2018 à 00:00, Steve Langasek a écrit :
> > It seems your MP has the review requested from a team that is not the owner
> > of the target branch, do you know why that is? (~ubuntu-archive vs.
> > ~ubuntu-release)
>
> Just as a data point, I just did a mp for britney hints changes and the
> reviewer has been set to ~ubuntu-release (I had initially let the
> default target branch which was lp:britney and that mp defaulted to
> ~ubuntu-archive as reviewer though, which seems correct)

Ah, that explains it. I had the MP at first targetet at lp:britney as
well. Once I realized the mistake (huge diff was hard to miss), I
retargeted it but it must have retained the original reviewer.