Proposal: promote aufs.ko from -extra to main linux-image package

Proposal: promote aufs.ko from -extra to main linux-image package

Kamal Mostafa-2
We recently noticed that our kernel regression smoke test of 'aufs' was failing on test hosts that run on cloud instances, because the linux-image-extra package containing aufs.ko is (rightly) not installed by default.   (Maas test hosts do get -extra installed by default, which is why we didn't notice this before).

Docker requires aufs, and the Docker forums suggest that folks bump into this problem frequently enough ("oh, it turned out that I needed to install linux-image-extra to get it working").

Po-Hsu Lin points out that this bug is the same issue:
    "docker service failed to start on s390x (zVM) Yakkety"

For linux-aws, we have promoted aufs.ko to the main linux-image package.

I propose that we promote it for all supported Ubuntu kernels and derivatives, so as to remove Docker's dependence on linux-image-extra.  Promoting it should be a very low risk operation -- systems that do have linux-image-extra installed will still end up with aufs.ko in the same filesystem location; systems that don't will just get a new loadable driver.

Thoughts on this idea?

 -Kamal

Re: Proposal: promote aufs.ko from -extra to main linux-image package

Seth Forshee
On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 08:07:29AM -0700, Kamal Mostafa wrote:
> We recently noticed that our kernel regression smoke test of 'aufs' was
> failing on test hosts that run on cloud instances, because the
> linux-image-extra package containing aufs.ko is (rightly) not installed by
> default.   (Maas test hosts do get -extra installed by default, which is
> why we didn't notice this before).
>
> Docker requires aufs, and the Docker forums suggest that folks bump into
> this problem frequently enough ("oh, it turned out that I needed to install
> linux-image-extra to get it working").

I think docker can use overlayfs instead, but it does seem to perfer
aufs.

> Po-Hsu Lin points out that this bug is the same issue:
>     https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1671058
>     "docker service failed to start on s390x (zVM) Yakkety"
>
> For linux-aws, we have promoted aufs.ko to the main linux-image package.
>
> I propose that we promote it for *all* supported Ubuntu kernels and
> derivatives, so as to remove Docker's dependence on linux-image-extra.
> Promoting it should be a very low risk operation -- systems that do have
> linux-image-extra installed will still end up with aufs.ko in the same
> filesystem location; systems that don't will just get a new loadable driver.
>
> Thoughts on this idea?

Seems to makes sense, especially if lots of folks are installing
linux-image-extra only for aufs. +1.

Seth

Re: Proposal: promote aufs.ko from -extra to main linux-image package

brad.figg