Protecting PDF files

Groundhog
dear friends,

is there any way to protect pdf file so that cannot be copy 2 or 3
times?? the main puropse is to protect e-book piracy.

thanks.
--
LinuxMurah.com
dealer distro murah & lengkap

Re: Protecting PDF files

Magnus Therning
On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 09:02:48PM +0700, LinuxMurah.com wrote:
>dear friends,
>
>is there any way to protect pdf file so that cannot be copy 2 or 3
>times?? the main puropse is to protect e-book piracy.

Why not just read the PDF standard? I believe it's a publically
available standard.

My experience with digital restrictions, especially in PDF, is that it's
rubbish. Note, I'm only taling about it from a technological POV. AFAIK
all of it is enforced in the client. Since there are OSS clients (like
the brilliant evince) there is very little to gain by restricting what
people can do with a PDF document.

My suggestion to anyone who's thoughts start moving down the DRM path is
to add value on the side rather than restrict what your customers can
do.

Just my 2p.

/M

--
Magnus Therning                    (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)
[hidden email]

by patent law on written works.

"Sendmail" and "make" are two well known programs that are pretty widely
regarded as being debugged into existence. That's why their command
languages are so poorly thought out and difficult to learn.  It's not
just you -- everyone finds them troublesome.
     -- Peter van der Linden, Expert C Programming, p. 220

Re: Protecting PDF files

Sarangan Thuraisingham / துரைசிங்கம் சாரங்கன்
LinuxMurah.com wrote:
> dear friends,
>
> is there any way to protect pdf file so that cannot be copy 2 or 3
> times?? the main puropse is to protect e-book piracy.
>
> thanks.
> --

Mmmm, I think any such protection will not be possible with PDF. If you
do manage it some standard PDF viewers( especially in Linux) won't be
able to read it. All you will do is stop innocent legal users from
reading the PDF properly. The people you want to stop might be
technological savvy enough to get around protections. Look at all the
copy protections that were introduced to stop music piracy.

  - Saru
Sarangan Thuraisingham
ECS, University of Southampton, UK

Homepage: http://sarangan.thuraisingham.net

    Tux is the Best
   Next is the Rest

Re: Protecting PDF files

Wade Smart
12112005 0909 GMT-5

Doesnt Adobe have a piece of code they use to keep you from coping a
pdf? I could be totally off here but in a Microsoft conference about a
year ago a Adobe guy said they had options that would or could detect if
a pdf was being copied and would no longer allow you to open the second
and third and on ones. I remember someone making the comment - well
microsoft will be using that on their OS really fast.

Wade

Sarangan Thuraisingham / துரைசிங்கம் சாரங்கன் wrote:

> LinuxMurah.com wrote:
>
>> dear friends,
>>
>> is there any way to protect pdf file so that cannot be copy 2 or 3
>> times?? the main puropse is to protect e-book piracy.
>>
>> thanks.
>> --
>

> Mmmm, I think any such protection will not be possible with PDF. If
> you do manage it some standard PDF viewers( especially in Linux) won't
> be able to read it. All you will do is stop innocent legal users from
> reading the PDF properly. The people you want to stop might be
> technological savvy enough to get around protections. Look at all the
> copy protections that were introduced to stop music piracy.

Re: Protecting PDF files

Tristan Wibberley
Wade Smart wrote:
> 12112005 0909 GMT-5
>
> Doesnt Adobe have a piece of code they use to keep you from coping a
> pdf? I could be totally off here but in a Microsoft conference about a
> year ago a Adobe guy said they had options that would or could detect if
> a pdf was being copied and would no longer allow you to open the second
> and third and on ones.

Only if you open it in their viewer, so either I can't open it on my PC
at all, or it can be copied ad infinitum. DRM is futile, the good don't
get the service or goods they expect, yet the crims can keep on crimming.

--
Tristan Wibberley

Re: Protecting PDF files

Luis Murillo

Re: Protecting PDF files

Wade Smart
12112005 1256 GMT-5

This is a bit off topic but, your reply made me think of ongoing gripe.

I do a lot of work for several real estate companies. All of the MLS
forms are now downloaded via pdf. This is a hugh horrible setup they
have. The agent must obtain the data from the client, open the pdf,
insert some data, print it off and insert the rest via type-writter, fax
it to the mls, and then mail in a copy plus keep a copy in their
records. The thing is, the pdf's dont open half of the time, most of the
time the agent just keeps copies of the files to fill out by hand - its
all useless.

What is pdf for now? Useless, pain in the ***, slow me down , document
something or other?

Im sure the original poster of this thread doesnt see it this way, but,
I think if you are selling me something, just put it in a format that I
can read and sell it to me. That way I can view it however I want.

Ok. -> Back to linux stuff.

Wade