Protecting a file from accidentally being sent.

Protecting a file from accidentally being sent.

Owen Thomas
Hellooo...

I regularly apply for jobs, and regularly see where the advertiser asks for a CV in the form of a file, does not place a restriction on the type of file it is asking for. The file selection window opens, and I can select any file from my desktop (the place where I keep my CV as well as other files - ones I definitely don't want to send).

i don't think I have ever sent a file I definitely don't want to send, but sometimes I have had to catch myself before I did. Short of removing the worrying file from my desktop, is there any other way I can protect a file on my desktop from being accidentally sent in this way?

Re: Protecting a file from accidentally being sent.

Peter McD
Am 02.05.2018 um 11:41 schrieb Owen Thomas:

> Hellooo...
>
> I regularly apply for jobs, and regularly see where the advertiser asks for
> a CV in the form of a file, does not place a restriction on the type of
> file it is asking for. The file selection window opens, and I can select
> any file from my desktop (the place where I keep my CV as well as other
> files - ones I definitely don't want to send).
>
> i don't think I have ever sent a file I definitely don't want to send, but
> sometimes I have had to catch myself before I did. Short of removing the
> worrying file from my desktop, is there any other way I can protect a file
> on my desktop from being accidentally sent in this way?

A desktop is like a pin board.
Murphy says: Don't leave anything on the desktop, which you don't want
to share with others.

I keep, without exception, anything of even remote importance in folders.

cu
Peter

On Wed, 2 May 2018 at 12:10, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is a pity if this is true: I used the presence of various files on my
desktop as a reminder for me that backup tasks need to be completed. I've
moved my CV to a folder called CV in an effort to prevent mistakes, but I'm
not sure that this will be foolproof.

Please *bottom* post on mailing lists. Your reply should go _below_ the
trimmed part of the text you're replying to.

Peter is right. Desktops are not for storage. They are a work area. Your
working files should be in folders -- that's why Ubuntu provides you with
~/Documents, ~/Pictures, ~/Videos, ~/Music etc. Use them!

If you want to keep something to hand, put a _shortcut_ on your desktop.

Otherwise, no, I don't think there's anything you can do to block certain
files from being opened by certain apps.

Email: [hidden email] • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

Am 02.05.2018 um 12:09 schrieb Owen Thomas:
> It is a pity if this is true: I used the presence of various files on my
> desktop as a reminder for me that backup tasks need to be completed. I've
> moved my CV to a folder called CV in an effort to prevent mistakes, but I'm
> not sure that this will be foolproof.

Welcome to the world of computer security.

Have a look at the following link and be careful, if you make a mistake,
your files will also be protected from you

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EncryptedPrivateDirectory

cu
Peter

Am 02.05.2018 um 12:35 schrieb Liam Proven:
> On Wed, 2 May 2018 at 12:10, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It is a pity if this is true: I used the presence of various files on my
> desktop as a reminder for me that backup tasks need to be completed. I've
> moved my CV to a folder called CV in an effort to prevent mistakes, but I'm
> not sure that this will be foolproof.
> ... Desktops are not for storage. They are a work area. Your
> working files should be in folders -- that's why Ubuntu provides you with
> ~/Documents, ~/Pictures, ~/Videos, ~/Music etc. Use them!
>
> If you want to keep something to hand, put a _shortcut_ on your desktop.

That would be folder "misc" short for "miscellaneous"

cu
Peter

On 2 May 2018 at 20:35, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 2 May 2018 at 12:10, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is a pity if this is true: I used the presence of various files on my
desktop as a reminder for me that backup tasks need to be completed. I've
moved my CV to a folder called CV in an effort to prevent mistakes, but I'm
not sure that this will be foolproof.

Please *bottom* post on mailing lists. Your reply should go _below_ the
trimmed part of the text you're replying to.

Sorry Liam.

Peter is right. Desktops are not for storage. They are a work area. Your
working files should be in folders -- that's why Ubuntu provides you with
~/Documents, ~/Pictures, ~/Videos, ~/Music etc. Use them!

If you want to keep something to hand, put a _shortcut_ on your desktop.

I did try that; the shortcut I created seemed to refer directly to the file when I viewed it from the file selection dialogue. I have to admit to being unfamiliar with shortcuts. Are they different from symbolic links? Can I create one of those?

On Wed, 2 May 2018 at 12:52, Peter McD <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That would be folder "misc" short for "miscellaneous"

Eh?

Music. Melodious sounds that are pleasurable to listen to. Nothing to do
with "misc" or "miscellaneous".

On Wed, 2 May 2018 at 12:52, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I did try that; the shortcut I created seemed to refer directly to the
file when I viewed it from the file selection dialogue. I have to admit to
being unfamiliar with shortcuts. Are they different from symbolic links?
Can I create one of those?

Same functionality, different name.

Windows: "shortcut"
Linux: "symlink", "symbolic link"
Mac: "alias"

They all do essentially the same thing.

And the idea is that when you open them, you get the original, yes. That's
the point.

Thanks for changing quoting style!

On 2 May 2018 at 21:05, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 2 May 2018 at 12:52, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I did try that; the shortcut I created seemed to refer directly to the
file when I viewed it from the file selection dialogue. I have to admit to
being unfamiliar with shortcuts. Are they different from symbolic links?
Can I create one of those?

Same functionality, different name.

Windows: "shortcut"
Linux: "symlink", "symbolic link"
Mac: "alias"

They all do essentially the same thing.

And the idea is that when you open them, you get the original, yes. That's
the point.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I seem to recall that when a Windows (circa 95) shortcut appeared in a file selection dialogue, the shortcut, and not the file it referred to was selected.

It's probably been "fixed" by now. Who knows...

Thanks for changing quoting style!

You're welcome.

Re: Protecting a file from accidentally being sent.

Liam Proven
On Wed, 2 May 2018 at 13:19, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe I'm mistaken, but I seem to recall that when a Windows (circa 95)
shortcut appeared in a file selection dialogue, the shortcut, and not the
file it referred to was selected.

> It's probably been "fixed" by now. Who knows...

I think that's what happened with 16-bit apps (or Windows NT 3.x apps)
which didn't understand shortcuts.

Symlinks are part of the filesystem, so integrated a lot more deeply into
the OS than shortcuts, which were a Win95 bodge to get around the fact that
FAT didn't support symlinks.

Apple's Aliases were a lot more sophisticated as they included the machine
ID as well -- so an alias could even work over a LAN connection and give
you access to the original file on a different node on the network, even if
that file wasn't on your machine. (Assuming the remote node was turned on,
and you had access rights to it, etc.)

OS X doesn't use aliases much as it's UNIX™ so it has symlinks. Aliases
were a classic MacOS technology.

Anyway, yes, that could happen.

I mainly make symlinks to _folders_ so that, for instance, on my laptop,
although Ubuntu has its own ext4 /home partition, inside my home directory,
~/Documents etc. actually are links to the Windows home directory folders
of the same name. (My Windows drive is much bigger.) Linux can see into a
Windows NTFS drive no problem, whereas getting Windows to open an ext4
drive needs some work.

So whichever OS I boot into, I have the same folders with the same contents.

On 2 May 2018 at 21:39, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 2 May 2018 at 13:19, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe I'm mistaken, but I seem to recall that when a Windows (circa 95)
shortcut appeared in a file selection dialogue, the shortcut, and not the
file it referred to was selected.

> It's probably been "fixed" by now. Who knows...

I think that's what happened with 16-bit apps (or Windows NT 3.x apps)
which didn't understand shortcuts.

Ubuntu should have something that behaves like Win95 shortcuts - if only perhaps as a feature of the desktop. I feel like sending a file that contains the path and name to some obscure archive to a "recruiter" inadvertently sometimes...

Maybe it doesn't have to be a file to the OS - it could just be a desktop thing that is opaque to the OS.

Recruiters aside, it'd be a nice feature. Let's make it happen.

Hommmm.....

Am 02.05.2018 um 14:14 schrieb Owen Thomas:

> Ubuntu should have something that behaves like Win95 shortcuts ...

Why? In Ubuntu the force is with you;-)

Linux has its roots in Unix (no offence intended, I know when Linus
published the first code ), Windows 95 is a long way off.
I don't know what Microsoft's OS can do now.

For your purpose you want "symbolic links", which can link to a file or
a folder.

ln -s (where you want to go) (where you are)

An example: use the console in you home folder

mkdir test1

copy whatever you like into it,
now the link

ln -s ~/test_1 test_2

if you now go into test_2, you will see all in test_1

man ln tells you more.

cu
Peter

Am 02.05.2018 um 13:03 schrieb Liam Proven:
> On Wed, 2 May 2018 at 12:52, Peter McD <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> That would be folder "misc" short for "miscellaneous"
>
> Eh?
>
> Music. Melodious sounds that are pleasurable to listen to. Nothing to do
> with "misc" or "miscellaneous".

You are right: I use folder "misc" for miscellaneous files.

cu
Peter