Question about Ubuntu uses

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Question about Ubuntu uses

The FLOSS Information
What are the uses of Ubuntu?
 
-- 
Saygılarımızla,
The FLOSS Information
https://theflossinformation.gitlab.io/
 

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question about Ubuntu uses

Wade Smart-2
Uh... WHAT?

What are the uses of Windows?
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005

On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 10:22 AM The FLOSS Information
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> What are the uses of Ubuntu?
>
> --
> Saygılarımızla,
> The FLOSS Information
> https://theflossinformation.gitlab.io/
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question about Ubuntu uses

The FLOSS Information
I think it can be used in most areas. Thank you.
 
15.09.2019, 18:44, "Wade Smart" <[hidden email]>:

Uh... WHAT?

What are the uses of Windows?

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005


On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 10:22 AM The FLOSS Information
<[hidden email]> wrote:


 What are the uses of Ubuntu?

 --
 Saygılarımızla,
 The FLOSS Information
 https://theflossinformation.gitlab.io/

 --
 ubuntu-users mailing list
 [hidden email]
 Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

 

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
 
-- 
Saygılarımızla,
The FLOSS Information
https://theflossinformation.gitlab.io/
 

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question about Ubuntu uses

Wade Smart-2
Same with Ubuntu.

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005

On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 10:47 AM The FLOSS Information
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> I think it can be used in most areas. Thank you.
>
> 15.09.2019, 18:44, "Wade Smart" <[hidden email]>:
>
> Uh... WHAT?
>
> What are the uses of Windows?
>
> --
> Registered Linux User: #480675
> Registered Linux Machine: #408606
> Linux since June 2005
>
>
> On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 10:22 AM The FLOSS Information
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>  What are the uses of Ubuntu?
>
>  --
>  Saygılarımızla,
>  The FLOSS Information
>  https://theflossinformation.gitlab.io/
>
>  --
>  ubuntu-users mailing list
>  [hidden email]
>  Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>
>
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>
>
>
> --
> Saygılarımızla,
> The FLOSS Information
> https://theflossinformation.gitlab.io/
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question about Ubuntu uses

Bill Stanley

On 9/15/19 11:49 AM, Wade Smart wrote:
> Same with Ubuntu.
>
WS=> Please, don't feed the trolls!

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question about Ubuntu uses

The FLOSS Information
What does the problem have to do with the troll? My goal was not to conduct a bad discussion through Ubuntu. I'm not a power user.
 
I think you're pointing to the wrong person with this sentence. I don't think I made an inaccurate statement about Ubuntu. If I make a false statement about Ubuntu, you may be right.
 
15.09.2019, 19:09, "Bill" <[hidden email]>:


On 9/15/19 11:49 AM, Wade Smart wrote:

 Same with Ubuntu.
 

WS=> Please, don't feed the trolls!
 

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
 
-- 
Saygılarımızla,
The FLOSS Information
https://theflossinformation.gitlab.io/
 

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question about Ubuntu uses

Gary Curtin
In reply to this post by The FLOSS Information
On 15/09/2019 17:17, The FLOSS Information wrote:
What are the uses of Ubuntu?


Ubuntu is an operating system, like Windows or MacOS. You install it on a computer then add your applications like multi-media, web browsing, messaging etc.

Where Ubuntu differs from Windows or MacOS, is that is completely free, and most of the applications you install will also be free. AND, it is generally less troublesome.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question about Ubuntu uses

ubuntu-users mailing list
In reply to this post by The FLOSS Information
I would be very careful with lists about purposes about any egg laying
wool-milk-pig [1].

Actually the question should be, what a user wants to achieve. It's
wise to put together a combination of hardware, operating system and
software, that fits to the needs and skills of a user.

A nice example are computers for computer education of very young
pupils. In this use case hardware usually doesn't matter at all, the
required software usually is available for almost all operating
systems. Theoretically the best choice would be an operating system
that is free as in beer, user friendly and wide spread, to avoid paying
for licenses of proprietary operating systems and to make it available
to everyone. In practise almost all teachers would need computer
education first, usually they are barely able to to use a Windows
computer and an Android or iOS smart phone and there knowledge about
privacy, security and diversity regarding software domains is null.
They would never ever touch a Linux machine.

At best some schools have got admins who maintain a Windows network for
the schools and who heard about Linux, BSD etc..

So the reason that Windows is the best choice in this case, are the
shortcomings, such as bad educated teachers and an existing computer
infrastructure, that wasn't well planned in the first place.

Actually Ubuntu would be a better choice for this purpose, since it's a
user-friendly major distro, free as in beer, not just free as in beer
for the schools, but also for the pupils.

What actually is wanted? Stagnation? Progress? Etc.?

There is no answer to a dumb question. It requires individual planning.
Egg laying wool-milk-pigs do not exist.

[1]
https://www.dict.cc/?s=eierlegende+wollmilchsau


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question about Ubuntu uses

ubuntu-users mailing list
In reply to this post by Gary Curtin
On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 19:00:20 +0200, Gary Curtin wrote:
>AND, it is generally less troublesome.
            ^^^^^^^^^
            ^^^^^^^^^

The advantage of one proprietary company is, that the operating system
is bound to very expensive hardware from this company, while Linux is
aimed for usage with all kinds of hardware combinations, which comes
with way more pitfalls. Some vendors of special hardware provide only
drivers for the operating systems of two proprietary companies and even
some software isn't available for Linux at all or at best in a very
underdeveloped state. Some very good software for Linux sometimes gets
discontinued from one day to another, just think about the GTK2
disasters. Sometimes upstream migrates to GTK3 or Qt and sometimes they
drop a project.

Yes, sometimes the best choice is an Ubuntu flavour, sometimes it's a
less user-friendly Linux distro or BSD, but sometimes it is a
proprietary operating system.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users