Question about inclusion of a language in 19.10

Question about inclusion of a language in 19.10

Grzegorz Kulik
Hello everyone,

sorry if this is a question that might be obvious but I've been reading the Wiki for the last half hour and I don't feel I'm any closer to the answer I'm looking for.

In June I brought the Silesian translation to a somewhat decent level. I have been testing the translation on my system and it looks very well. Just today I realized the translations are not being pulled automatically to the daily builds of 19.10, so obviously I was supposed to do something more.

Can anybody point me in the right direction? Do I have to inform somebody or do I have to build the language pack myself?

I would appreciate any help. Thank you in advance.

Best,
Gregory

Re: Question about inclusion of a language in 19.10

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Hi Gregory!

On 2019-09-10 16:49, Grzegorz Kulik wrote:
> In June I brought the Silesian translation to a somewhat decent
> level. I have been testing the translation on my system and it looks
> very well. Just today I realized the translations are not being
> pulled automatically to the daily builds of 19.10, so obviously I was
> supposed to do something more.

Well, you shouldn't expect the language packs to be included in the ISO
file. Only a few of the most widely used languages are included there.

But I see that the coverage is approximately 8%, and that should trigger
the language packs to be built automatically (a 5% threshold is
applied). But I don't see any szl language packs.

I'll check it out and get back to you.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

Ôdp: Question about inclusion of a language in 19.10

Grzegorz Kulik
Hey, thank you both for such quick responses! It actually makes me really happy since I'm not the best at contributing to the technical side of any projects. I'll wait for the news then.

Best,
Gregory

Hi Gregory!

Re: Ôdp: Question about inclusion of a language in 19.10

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
On 2019-09-10 18:00, Grzegorz Kulik wrote:
> Hey, thank you both for such quick responses! It actually makes me
> really happy since I'm not the best at contributing to the technical
> side of any projects. I'll wait for the news then.

I talked with Łukasz Zemczak, who is monitoring the language pack
creation process, and this is the probable explanation:

When it starts working, these four language pack packages should be
available in the archive:

language-pack-szl-base
language-pack-gnome-szl-base
language-pack-szl
language-pack-gnome-szl

A -base package contains all the translations at the time of creation,
while the other packages (delta) only includes new or changed strings
since respective -base package was created. While delta language packs
are created weekly during the development cycle, -base packages have not
been created since the end of July. We assume that you hadn't reached
the 5% threshold at that time, which would explain that we still don't
see any szl language packs in the archive.

The -base packages will be updated at least once, possibly twice, before
the release of Ubuntu 19.10. So let's be patient, and hope that the szl
language packs will show up at next update. (If not, then we'll need to
dig deeper into it.)

HTH

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

Ôdp: Question about inclusion of a language in 19.10

Grzegorz Kulik

We wtorek, 10 wrz 2019 ô godzinie 19:13, Gunnar Hjalmarsson
([hidden email]) pisze:

> On 2019-09-10 18:00, Grzegorz Kulik wrote:
> Hey, thank you both for such quick responses! It actually makes me
> really happy since I'm not the best at contributing to the technical
> side of any projects. I'll wait for the news then.
>
> I talked with Łukasz Zemczak, who is monitoring the language pack
> creation process, and this is the probable explanation:
>
> When it starts working, these four language pack packages should be
> available in the archive:
>
> language-pack-szl-base
> language-pack-gnome-szl-base
> language-pack-szl
> language-pack-gnome-szl
>
> A -base package contains all the translations at the time of creation,
> while the other packages (delta) only includes new or changed strings
> since respective -base package was created. While delta language packs
> are created weekly during the development cycle, -base packages have not
> been created since the end of July. We assume that you hadn't reached
> the 5% threshold at that time, which would explain that we still don't
> see any szl language packs in the archive.
>
> The -base packages will be updated at least once, possibly twice, before
> the release of Ubuntu 19.10. So let's be patient, and hope that the szl
> language packs will show up at next update. (If not, then we'll need to
> dig deeper into it.)
>
> HTH

Thank you for all the information. I uploaded the last large bulks of translations on the 20th of June and ever since I only corrected mistakes in existing ones, so there might be some unknown obstacle.

Should I pay attention to the process? Is there a calendar of the updates? I just want to make sure that 19.10 gets Silesian version right from the day of release.

On 2019-09-10 19:43, Grzegorz Kulik wrote:
> I uploaded the last large bulks of translations on the 20th of June
> and ever since I only corrected mistakes in existing ones, so there
> might be some unknown obstacle.

Hmm.. Given what you now say, so it seems. I'll call Łukasz's attention
to it.

> Should I pay attention to the process? Is there a calendar of the
> updates?

I'm not aware of a calendar which specifies updates of the -base
language packs. They are always updates about a week before release,
that's all I can say for sure.

> I just want to make sure that 19.10 gets Silesian version right from
> the day of release.

Yeah, that should be the goal. Let's be attentive together. ;)