Question as to whether Ubuntu or UbuntuMATE is 32 bit

Question as to whether Ubuntu or UbuntuMATE is 32 bit

Bret Busby-2
I have read, regarding RISC OS, that

"
The file system abstraction layer API uses 32-bit file offsets, making
the largest single file 4 GiB (minus 1 byte) long.
"

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC_OS

Now, that makes me wonder whether Ubuntu Linux, or, UbuntuMATE Linux,
is limited to 32 bit.

The reason that this has arisen, is that I have a 4.5GB file that I
can not move - I have tried to move (using cut and paste) the file,
using both caja and PCManFM, and, with both, I get the problem that
the file is "too large to be spliced", and, a filesize limit of 4GB
apparently applies

So, is Ubuntu Linux, or, UbuntuMATE Linux, is limited to 32 bit, or,
are the file managers limited to 32 bit operations?

The computer has an i3 CPU and 16GB of RAM.

The computer is running UbuntuMATE 16.04 AMD64, as far as I am aware.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Question as to whether Ubuntu or UbuntuMATE is 32 bit

Bret Busby
On Sun, 2 Sep 2018, Bret Busby wrote:

> Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2018 04:34:48
> From: Bret Busby <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Question as to whether Ubuntu or UbuntuMATE is 32 bit
>
> I have read, regarding RISC OS, that
>
> "
> The file system abstraction layer API uses 32-bit file offsets, making
> the largest single file 4 GiB (minus 1 byte) long.
> "
>
> - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC_OS
>
> Now, that makes me wonder whether Ubuntu Linux, or, UbuntuMATE Linux,
> is limited to 32 bit.
>
> The reason that this has arisen, is that I have a 4.5GB file that I
> can not move - I have tried to move (using cut and paste) the file,
> using both caja and PCManFM, and, with both, I get the problem that
> the file is "too large to be spliced", and, a filesize limit of 4GB
> apparently applies
>
> So, is Ubuntu Linux, or, UbuntuMATE Linux, is limited to 32 bit, or,
> are the file managers limited to 32 bit operations?
>
> The computer has an i3 CPU and 16GB of RAM.
>
> The computer is running UbuntuMATE 16.04 AMD64, as far as I am aware.

"
bret@bret-Inspiron-580-UbuntuMATE:~$ uname -a
Linux bret-Inspiron-580-UbuntuMATE 4.4.0-133-generic #159-Ubuntu SMP Fri
Aug 10 07:31:43 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
bret@bret-Inspiron-580-UbuntuMATE:~$ uname -aip
Linux bret-Inspiron-580-UbuntuMATE 4.4.0-133-generic #159-Ubuntu SMP Fri
Aug 10 07:31:43 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
bret@bret-Inspiron-580-UbuntuMATE:~$ uname -ip
x86_64 x86_64
"

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

  you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
   Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
   "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
   A Trilogy In Four Parts",
   written by Douglas Adams,
   published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Question as to whether Ubuntu or UbuntuMATE is 32 bit

Bret Busby
On Sun, 2 Sep 2018, Bret Busby wrote:

> Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2018 04:52:20
> From: Bret Busby <[hidden email]>
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
>     <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: Question as to whether Ubuntu or UbuntuMATE is 32 bit
>
> On Sun, 2 Sep 2018, Bret Busby wrote:
>
>> Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2018 04:34:48
>> From: Bret Busby <[hidden email]>
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Question as to whether Ubuntu or UbuntuMATE is 32 bit
>>
>> I have read, regarding RISC OS, that
>>
>> "
>> The file system abstraction layer API uses 32-bit file offsets, making
>> the largest single file 4 GiB (minus 1 byte) long.
>> "
>>
>> - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC_OS
>>
>> Now, that makes me wonder whether Ubuntu Linux, or, UbuntuMATE Linux,
>> is limited to 32 bit.
>>
>> The reason that this has arisen, is that I have a 4.5GB file that I
>> can not move - I have tried to move (using cut and paste) the file,
>> using both caja and PCManFM, and, with both, I get the problem that
>> the file is "too large to be spliced", and, a filesize limit of 4GB
>> apparently applies
>>
>> So, is Ubuntu Linux, or, UbuntuMATE Linux, is limited to 32 bit, or,
>> are the file managers limited to 32 bit operations?
>>
>> The computer has an i3 CPU and 16GB of RAM.
>>
>> The computer is running UbuntuMATE 16.04 AMD64, as far as I am aware.
>>

> "
> bret@bret-Inspiron-580-UbuntuMATE:~$ uname -a
> Linux bret-Inspiron-580-UbuntuMATE 4.4.0-133-generic #159-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug
> 10 07:31:43 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> bret@bret-Inspiron-580-UbuntuMATE:~$ uname -aip
> Linux bret-Inspiron-580-UbuntuMATE 4.4.0-133-generic #159-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug
> 10 07:31:43 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> bret@bret-Inspiron-580-UbuntuMATE:~$ uname -ip
> x86_64 x86_64
> "

PCManFM shows the total filesize (that is too big) as
4.2 GiB (4,526,198,136 bytes)

and the space taken up by it on the disk, as
4.2 GiB (4,530,634,752 bytes)

and, the quantity of it, that it managed to move, as
4.0 GiB (4,294,967,295 bytes)

with the space that that takes on the drive, as
4.0 GiB (4,294,967,296 bytes)
being 1 byte more than it shifted.

PCManFM shows the same values (to the byte) for the file that resulted
from being moved by caja.

As the move was not completed, in each instance, the source file remains
where it was; all of it.

The data that was moved, can be opened, so I assume that each file
manager truncated, when it got to its apparent 32 bit limit.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

  you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
   Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
   "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
   A Trilogy In Four Parts",
   written by Douglas Adams,
   published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Question as to whether Ubuntu or UbuntuMATE is 32 bit

Tony Arnold-3
Bret,

On Sun, 2018-09-02 at 05:04 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
On Sun, 2 Sep 2018, Bret Busby wrote:

I have read, regarding RISC OS, that

"
The file system abstraction layer API uses 32-bit file offsets, making
the largest single file 4 GiB (minus 1 byte) long.
"

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC_OS

Now, that makes me wonder whether Ubuntu Linux, or, UbuntuMATE Linux,
is limited to 32 bit.

I think the file size limits depends on the files system in use as well as the OS.

The reason that this has arisen, is that I have a 4.5GB file that I
can not move - I have tried to move (using cut and paste) the file,
using both caja and PCManFM, and, with both, I get the problem that
the file is "too large to be spliced", and, a filesize limit of 4GB
apparently applies

So, is Ubuntu Linux, or, UbuntuMATE Linux, is limited to 32 bit, or,
are the file managers limited to 32 bit operations?

What is the files system to which you are copying the file? And what is the file system where the source file resides?

ext4 support up to 16TB sized files.

fat32 only supports up to 4GB.

ntfs supports up to 16EiB (Exabytes)!

You could also try using the cp command in a terminal to copy the file and see if that gives you a meaningful error message.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold MBCS, CITP | Senior IT Security Analyst | Directorate of IT Services | G64, Kilburn Building | The University of Manchester | Manchester M13 9PL | T: +44 161 275 6093 | M: +44 773 330 0039

Re: Question as to whether Ubuntu or UbuntuMATE is 32 bit

Peter Flynn
On 01/09/18 21:34, Bret Busby wrote:

> I have read, regarding RISC OS, that
>
> "
> The file system abstraction layer API uses 32-bit file offsets, making
> the largest single file 4 GiB (minus 1 byte) long.
> "
>
> - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC_OS
>
> Now, that makes me wonder whether Ubuntu Linux, or, UbuntuMATE Linux,
> is limited to 32 bit.

It's not the operating system but the file system which is at issue
here. Are the source and target file systems the same?

> The reason that this has arisen, is that I have a 4.5GB file that I
> can not move - I have tried to move (using cut and paste) the file,
> using both caja and PCManFM, and, with both, I get the problem that
> the file is "too large to be spliced", and, a filesize limit of 4GB
> apparently applies

I wouldn't use a GUI application to manage files that size. What happens
if you do it in a terminal window with the mv command?

Is the file backed up somewhere?

///Peter

On 02/09/2018, Tony Arnold <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bret,
>
> On Sun, 2018-09-02 at 05:04 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>
> On Sun, 2 Sep 2018, Bret Busby wrote:
>

> I have read, regarding RISC OS, that
>

> "
>
> The file system abstraction layer API uses 32-bit file offsets, making
>
> the largest single file 4 GiB (minus 1 byte) long.
>
> "
>

> - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC_OS
>

> Now, that makes me wonder whether Ubuntu Linux, or, UbuntuMATE Linux,
>
> is limited to 32 bit.
>
> I think the file size limits depends on the files system in use as well as
> the OS.
>

> The reason that this has arisen, is that I have a 4.5GB file that I
>
> can not move - I have tried to move (using cut and paste) the file,
>
> using both caja and PCManFM, and, with both, I get the problem that
>
> the file is "too large to be spliced", and, a filesize limit of 4GB
>
> apparently applies
>

> So, is Ubuntu Linux, or, UbuntuMATE Linux, is limited to 32 bit, or,
>
> are the file managers limited to 32 bit operations?
>
> What is the files system to which you are copying the file? And what is the
> file system where the source file resides?
>
> ext4 support up to 16TB sized files.
>
> fat32 only supports up to 4GB.
>
> ntfs supports up to 16EiB (Exabytes)!
>
> You could also try using the cp command in a terminal to copy the file and
> see if that gives you a meaningful error message.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Regards,
> Tony.
>
> --
>
> Tony Arnold MBCS, CITP | Senior IT Security Analyst | Directorate of IT
> Services | G64, Kilburn Building | The University of Manchester | Manchester
> M13 9PL | T: +44 161 275 6093 | M: +44 773 330 0039

Thank you, Tony.

I believe that you have provided the answer, from which, I can derive
the solution.

I was trying to move the file from the computer internal HDD, which
has most of the Linux partitions, including the home partition, where
the file is located, as ext4.

I was trying to move the file to a USB thumbrive - 256GB, which, from
this, I assume to be formatted to FAT32.

I could not use the cp command, as the USB drive name includes a
space, which is not recognised as a character within a directory name,
by command line commands (or so I believe).

So, the solution appears to be to get another drive - that I can
rename, to ensure that it does not include spaces in the drive name,
and, format it to either ext4 or NTFS, before writing to it.

On 02/09/2018, Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 01/09/18 21:34, Bret Busby wrote:
>> I have read, regarding RISC OS, that
>>
>> "
>> The file system abstraction layer API uses 32-bit file offsets, making
>> the largest single file 4 GiB (minus 1 byte) long.
>> "
>>
>> - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC_OS
>>
>> Now, that makes me wonder whether Ubuntu Linux, or, UbuntuMATE Linux,
>> is limited to 32 bit.
>
> It's not the operating system but the file system which is at issue
> here. Are the source and target file systems the same?
>
>> The reason that this has arisen, is that I have a 4.5GB file that I
>> can not move - I have tried to move (using cut and paste) the file,
>> using both caja and PCManFM, and, with both, I get the problem that
>> the file is "too large to be spliced", and, a filesize limit of 4GB
>> apparently applies
>
> I wouldn't use a GUI application to manage files that size. What happens
> if you do it in a terminal window with the mv command?
>
> Is the file backed up somewhere?
>
> ///Peter

Thank you for your response, Peter.

I think, from the timestamps, your response was probably posted while
I was writing my response to Tony's response.

The file, where it currently sits, is the only complete copy of the
file, that I have.

I will leave trying to do anything with it, other than opening it,
until I have an approriate drive, to which, to move it.

I will investigate a portable SSD, which is currently discounted, and
find which format is present on that drive.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Question as to whether Ubuntu or UbuntuMATE is 32 bit

Peter Flynn
On 01/09/18 23:14, Bret Busby wrote:
[...]
> I think, from the timestamps, your response was probably posted while
> I was writing my response to Tony's response.

Very likely. My connection is sometimes slow, sometimes fast...

> The file, where it currently sits, is the only complete copy of the
> file, that I have.

Copying it is A Good Idea, then :-)

> I could not use the cp command, as the USB drive name includes a
> space, which is not recognised as a character within a directory name,
> by command line commands (or so I believe).

No, you can enclose the path in quotes, eg

$ cp "~/path with spaces/name for the big file.dat" /tmp/newfile.dat

Will the file compress? You could zip or gzip it to the USB drive if
that would shrink it enough to get in under the 4GB limit.

$ zip /media/bret/usb/bigfile.zip "some path to/the big file.dat"

///Peter

Re: Question as to whether Ubuntu or UbuntuMATE is 32 bit

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Samstag, den 01.09.2018, 23:33 +0100 schrieb Peter Flynn:

> No, you can enclose the path in quotes, eg
>
> $ cp "~/path with spaces/name for the big file.dat" /tmp/newfile.dat

and alternatively:

$ cp ~/path\ with\ spaces/name\ for\ the\ big\ file.dat
/tmp/newfile.dat

will work too ...
(escaping the spaces by putting a backslash in front of them)

;)

ciao
        oli

Re: Question as to whether Ubuntu or UbuntuMATE is 32 bit

Robert Heller
At Sun, 2 Sep 2018 05:04:51 +0800 (AWST) "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Sep 2018, Bret Busby wrote:
>
> > Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2018 04:52:20
> > From: Bret Busby <[hidden email]>
> > To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
> >     <[hidden email]>
> > Subject: Re: Question as to whether Ubuntu or UbuntuMATE is 32 bit
> >
> > On Sun, 2 Sep 2018, Bret Busby wrote:
> >
> >> Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2018 04:34:48
> >> From: Bret Busby <[hidden email]>
> >> To: [hidden email]
> >> Subject: Question as to whether Ubuntu or UbuntuMATE is 32 bit
> >>
> >> I have read, regarding RISC OS, that
> >>
> >> "
> >> The file system abstraction layer API uses 32-bit file offsets, making
> >> the largest single file 4 GiB (minus 1 byte) long.
> >> "
> >>
> >> - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC_OS
> >>
> >> Now, that makes me wonder whether Ubuntu Linux, or, UbuntuMATE Linux,
> >> is limited to 32 bit.
> >>
> >> The reason that this has arisen, is that I have a 4.5GB file that I
> >> can not move - I have tried to move (using cut and paste) the file,
> >> using both caja and PCManFM, and, with both, I get the problem that
> >> the file is "too large to be spliced", and, a filesize limit of 4GB
> >> apparently applies
> >>
> >> So, is Ubuntu Linux, or, UbuntuMATE Linux, is limited to 32 bit, or,
> >> are the file managers limited to 32 bit operations?
> >>
> >> The computer has an i3 CPU and 16GB of RAM.
> >>
> >> The computer is running UbuntuMATE 16.04 AMD64, as far as I am aware.
> >>

> > "
> > bret@bret-Inspiron-580-UbuntuMATE:~$ uname -a
> > Linux bret-Inspiron-580-UbuntuMATE 4.4.0-133-generic #159-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug
> > 10 07:31:43 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> > bret@bret-Inspiron-580-UbuntuMATE:~$ uname -aip
> > Linux bret-Inspiron-580-UbuntuMATE 4.4.0-133-generic #159-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug
> > 10 07:31:43 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> > bret@bret-Inspiron-580-UbuntuMATE:~$ uname -ip
> > x86_64 x86_64
> > "
> >

> PCManFM shows the total filesize (that is too big) as
> 4.2 GiB (4,526,198,136 bytes)
>
> and the space taken up by it on the disk, as
> 4.2 GiB (4,530,634,752 bytes)
>
> and, the quantity of it, that it managed to move, as
> 4.0 GiB (4,294,967,295 bytes)
>
> with the space that that takes on the drive, as
> 4.0 GiB (4,294,967,296 bytes)
> being 1 byte more than it shifted.
>
> PCManFM shows the same values (to the byte) for the file that resulted
> from being moved by caja.
>
> As the move was not completed, in each instance, the source file remains
> where it was; all of it.
>
> The data that was moved, can be opened, so I assume that each file
> manager truncated, when it got to its apparent 32 bit limit.
What happens when you fire up a bash shell and use cp to copy the file?

sauron.deepsoft.com% ls -lh /distrocds/CentOS/7/x86_64/CentOS-7-x86_64-Everythin
g-1511.iso

-rw-rw-r--. 1 qemu qemu 7.3G Jan  3  2016 /distrocds/CentOS/7/x86_64/CentOS-7-x86_64-Everything-1511.iso
sauron.deepsoft.com% df -h .

Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/sauron-home
                       40G   25G   14G  65% /home
sauron.deepsoft.com% cp -v /distrocds/CentOS/7/x86_64/CentOS-7-x86_64-Everything
-1511.iso ./

`/distrocds/CentOS/7/x86_64/CentOS-7-x86_64-Everything-1511.iso' -> `./CentOS-7-x86_64-Everything-1511.iso'
sauron.deepsoft.com% ls -lh CentOS-7-x86_64-Everything-1511.iso

-rw-r--r--. 1 heller users 7.3G Sep  1 19:58 CentOS-7-x86_64-Everything-1511.iso
sauron.deepsoft.com% uname -a

Linux sauron.deepsoft.com 2.6.32-754.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Jun 19 21:26:04 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
sauron.deepsoft.com% cat /etc/redhat-release

CentOS release 6.10 (Final)
sauron.deepsoft.com% exit

Script done on Sat 01 Sep 2018 07:59:48 PM EDT

cp has no trouble copying files larger 2^32 bytes, even with an older version
of file utils and with an older kernel.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

At Sun, 2 Sep 2018 05:58:57 +0800 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02/09/2018, Tony Arnold <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Bret,
> >
> > On Sun, 2018-09-02 at 05:04 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 2 Sep 2018, Bret Busby wrote:
> >

> > I have read, regarding RISC OS, that
> >

> > "
> >
> > The file system abstraction layer API uses 32-bit file offsets, making
> >
> > the largest single file 4 GiB (minus 1 byte) long.
> >
> > "
> >

> > - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC_OS
> >

> > Now, that makes me wonder whether Ubuntu Linux, or, UbuntuMATE Linux,
> >
> > is limited to 32 bit.
> >
> > I think the file size limits depends on the files system in use as well as
> > the OS.
> >

> > The reason that this has arisen, is that I have a 4.5GB file that I
> >
> > can not move - I have tried to move (using cut and paste) the file,
> >
> > using both caja and PCManFM, and, with both, I get the problem that
> >
> > the file is "too large to be spliced", and, a filesize limit of 4GB
> >
> > apparently applies
> >

> > So, is Ubuntu Linux, or, UbuntuMATE Linux, is limited to 32 bit, or,
> >
> > are the file managers limited to 32 bit operations?
> >
> > What is the files system to which you are copying the file? And what is the
> > file system where the source file resides?
> >
> > ext4 support up to 16TB sized files.
> >
> > fat32 only supports up to 4GB.
> >
> > ntfs supports up to 16EiB (Exabytes)!
> >
> > You could also try using the cp command in a terminal to copy the file and
> > see if that gives you a meaningful error message.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tony.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Tony Arnold MBCS, CITP | Senior IT Security Analyst | Directorate of IT
> > Services | G64, Kilburn Building | The University of Manchester | Manchester
> > M13 9PL | T: +44 161 275 6093 | M: +44 773 330 0039
> >

> Thank you, Tony.
>
> I believe that you have provided the answer, from which, I can derive
> the solution.
>
> I was trying to move the file from the computer internal HDD, which
> has most of the Linux partitions, including the home partition, where
> the file is located, as ext4.
>
> I was trying to move the file to a USB thumbrive - 256GB, which, from
> this, I assume to be formatted to FAT32.

This is your problem.  You need to reformat the USB thumbrive to NTFS, which
will handle files > 4G.

> I could not use the cp command, as the USB drive name includes a
> space, which is not recognised as a character within a directory name,
> by command line commands (or so I believe).

Spaces are allowed in file and directory names.  The *shell* however
recognises space as a word separater, so you need to escape it, either using
single quotes (') or backslashes (\).

> So, the solution appears to be to get another drive - that I can
> rename, to ensure that it does not include spaces in the drive name,
> and, format it to either ext4 or NTFS, before writing to it.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Re: Question as to whether Ubuntu or UbuntuMATE is 32 bit

Colin Law
On Sun, 2 Sep 2018 at 01:26, Robert Heller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At Sun, 2 Sep 2018 05:58:57 +0800 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is your problem.  You need to reformat the USB thumbrive to NTFS, which
> will handle files > 4G.

Or as ext4 if you do not need to read it on a windows machine. To
reformat it on the Ubuntu machine you can use gparted.

Colin

Re: Question as to whether Ubuntu or UbuntuMATE is 32 bit

Colin Watson
On Sat, Sep 01, 2018 at 11:33:24PM +0100, Peter Flynn wrote:
> On 01/09/18 23:14, Bret Busby wrote:
> > I could not use the cp command, as the USB drive name includes a
> > space, which is not recognised as a character within a directory name,
> > by command line commands (or so I believe).
>
> No, you can enclose the path in quotes, eg
>
> $ cp "~/path with spaces/name for the big file.dat" /tmp/newfile.dat

Quoting the ~ will cause that character not to have its special effect
of expanding to your home directory, which is unlikely to be what you
want.  But either of these forms would work instead:

  cp "$HOME/path with spaces/name for the big file.dat" /tmp/newfile.dat
  cp ~/"path with spaces/name for the big file.dat" /tmp/newfile.dat

Also, note that tab-completing the file name should automatically
include suitable quotation (probably by putting a backslash in front of
each character that might otherwise have some special meaning to the
shell).  Beginners often seem not to use tab-completion much, but it's
extremely helpful and doesn't require much special knowledge.

Re: Question as to whether Ubuntu or UbuntuMATE is 32 bit

rikona
On Sat,  1 Sep 2018 20:25:05 -0400 (EDT)
Robert Heller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At Sun, 2 Sep 2018 05:58:57 +0800 "Ubuntu user technical support,
> not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > On 02/09/2018, Tony Arnold <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Bret,
> > >
> > > On Sun, 2018-09-02 at 05:04 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> > >
> > > On Sun, 2 Sep 2018, Bret Busby wrote:
> > >

> > > I have read, regarding RISC OS, that
> > >

> > > "
> > >
> > > The file system abstraction layer API uses 32-bit file offsets,
> > > making
> > >
> > > the largest single file 4 GiB (minus 1 byte) long.
> > >
> > > "
> > >

> > > - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC_OS
> > >

> > > Now, that makes me wonder whether Ubuntu Linux, or, UbuntuMATE
> > > Linux,
> > >
> > > is limited to 32 bit.
> > >
> > > I think the file size limits depends on the files system in use
> > > as well as the OS.
> > >

> > > The reason that this has arisen, is that I have a 4.5GB file that
> > >
> > > can not move - I have tried to move (using cut and paste) the
> > > file,
> > >
> > > using both caja and PCManFM, and, with both, I get the problem
> > > that
> > >
> > > the file is "too large to be spliced", and, a filesize limit of
> > > 4GB
> > >
> > > apparently applies
> > >

> > > So, is Ubuntu Linux, or, UbuntuMATE Linux, is limited to 32 bit,
> > > or,
> > >
> > > are the file managers limited to 32 bit operations?
> > >
> > > What is the files system to which you are copying the file? And
> > > what is the file system where the source file resides?
> > >
> > > ext4 support up to 16TB sized files.
> > >
> > > fat32 only supports up to 4GB.
> > >
> > > ntfs supports up to 16EiB (Exabytes)!
> > >
> > > You could also try using the cp command in a terminal to copy the
> > > file and see if that gives you a meaningful error message.
> > >
> > > Hope this helps.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Tony.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Tony Arnold MBCS, CITP | Senior IT Security Analyst | Directorate
> > > of IT Services | G64, Kilburn Building | The University of
> > > Manchester | Manchester M13 9PL | T: +44 161 275 6093 | M: +44
> > > 773 330 0039
> >
> > Thank you, Tony.
> >
> > I believe that you have provided the answer, from which, I can
> > derive the solution.
> >
> > I was trying to move the file from the computer internal HDD, which
> > has most of the Linux partitions, including the home partition,
> > where the file is located, as ext4.
> >
> > I was trying to move the file to a USB thumbrive - 256GB, which,
> > from this, I assume to be formatted to FAT32.
>
> This is your problem.  You need to reformat the USB thumbrive to
> NTFS, which will handle files > 4G.

In the past I've had Windows complain about NTFS drives formatted under
linux. Reformatting under Windows kept Win happy. Would it be better to
use ext4 if it is just a backup for linux? [And - is this an older
problem that has been fixed now so Win never complains?]

On Sun, 2 Sep 2018 at 19:03, rikona <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Would it be better to
> use ext4 if it is just a backup for linux?

Yes I believe so.

Colin

At Sun, 2 Sep 2018 11:00:33 -0700 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat,  1 Sep 2018 20:25:05 -0400 (EDT)
> Robert Heller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > At Sun, 2 Sep 2018 05:58:57 +0800 "Ubuntu user technical support,
> > not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Thank you, Tony.
> > >
> > > I believe that you have provided the answer, from which, I can
> > > derive the solution.
> > >
> > > I was trying to move the file from the computer internal HDD, which
> > > has most of the Linux partitions, including the home partition,
> > > where the file is located, as ext4.
> > >
> > > I was trying to move the file to a USB thumbrive - 256GB, which,
> > > from this, I assume to be formatted to FAT32.
> >
> > This is your problem.  You need to reformat the USB thumbrive to
> > NTFS, which will handle files > 4G.
>
> In the past I've had Windows complain about NTFS drives formatted under
> linux. Reformatting under Windows kept Win happy. Would it be better to
> use ext4 if it is just a backup for linux? [And - is this an older
> problem that has been fixed now so Win never complains?]

I had presumed that the use of the USB thumbrive was for transport [to
MS-Windows or MacOSX], but if it is just a Linux backup and/or transport to
another Linux machine, then most certainly format it with ext4.

I have used ntfs-3g and ntfsprogs (version 2017.3.23-6.el6.x86_64) under
CentOS 6 to create NTFS file systems, that at least my Sony BluRay player is
perfectly happy to read.  (I don't have any reason to deal with MS-Windows for
any purpose.)

I suspect that newer versions of the ntfs support packages under Linux work
better [unless M$ comes up with new ways to break things, just because they
can].