Question on multiple instances of kubuntu

Question on multiple instances of kubuntu

Jonathan Jesse-2
As I look at the getting ready for the push to start working on Kubuntu docs,
I was wondering if on my work laptop if there was a way to run both Dapper
and Breezy?  THe goal would be to keep Dapper up to date and be on the
bleeding edge w/o screwing up my day to day build.

Also it would help to get the screenshots of the different splash screens and
boot up information.

Re: Question on multiple instances of kubuntu

Bugzilla from ottolist@kekalainen.net
Hello,

I think the easiest way to accomplish that is to simply partition your hard
drive inte several partitions and put completely different installations on
them. However the swap partition can be shared.

Your hard disk layout could be something like this:

hda1 10GB breezy
hda2 10GB drapper
hda3 1GB swap

The one you install latter should notice the first installation and provide a
grub menu that allows to choose which one you want to run at startup. If not,
you might have to do some kind of combination of the two installations
grub-configuration (see file /boot/grub/menu.lst)

--
| Otto Kekäläinen
| Osuuskunta Sange
| http://linux.sange.fi/

Re: Question on multiple instances of kubuntu

Bugzilla from lukemonahan@gmail.com
I think if you need to get screenshots of boot up info, then your best bet is
running dapper inside a virtual machine.  Either that, or a good setup with a
digital camera pointing at your screen.

I only know of VmWare, which has a time limited trial (30 days iirc) before
you have to buy it.

Does anyone know of a better (free-er) option?

L.

On Friday 16 December 2005 13:38 pm, Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> As I look at the getting ready for the push to start working on Kubuntu
> docs, I was wondering if on my work laptop if there was a way to run both
> Dapper and Breezy?  THe goal would be to keep Dapper up to date and be on
> the bleeding edge w/o screwing up my day to day build.
>
> Also it would help to get the screenshots of the different splash screens
> and boot up information.

RE: Question on multiple instances of kubuntu

Kevin M Kleinsmith
You can do this best by having multiple partitions. The boot images can
actually be in the same boot folder but I have seen conflicts that do
occur. Using GRUB/LILO you would just point to the image for Breezy
with one and Dapper with the other. Best to have separate.

VMware is a good option, but the 30 day thing is a pain and not too
cheap. You can apply for an educational license as a
developer/trainer/documentation person. You just have to go to their
website and look up educational license. You email them what you do and
they sometimes provide you with a free copy. Good PR and then the idea
is you promote the usage of VMWare.

Kevin M Kleinsmith
[hidden email]

Martin J Hooper
Luke Monahan wrote:
> I only know of VmWare, which has a time limited trial (30 days iirc) before
> you have to buy it.
>
> Does anyone know of a better (free-er) option?

Qemu does the same as Vmware and is in the breezy repo... ;)

Re: Question on multiple instances of kubuntu

Nicola Larosa
>> I only know of VmWare, which has a time limited trial (30 days iirc)
>> before you have to buy it.

VMWare is Not Free.

>> Does anyone know of a better (free-er) option?

> Qemu does the same as Vmware and is in the breezy repo... ;)

There's also UML (User-mode Linux):

http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/

and the latest entry, Xen:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/

--
Nicola Larosa - [hidden email]

The poster sounds new to Twisted, which means that they have at least 2
years worth of regular asynchronous programming ahead of them before they
can make effective and judicious use of shortcuts like deferredGenerator.
 -- "Glyph" Lefkowitz, October 2005

Re: Question on multiple instances of kubuntu

Bugzilla from ottolist@kekalainen.net
> I only know of VmWare, which has a time limited trial (30 days iirc) before
> you have to buy it.
>
> Does anyone know of a better (free-er) option?

I'd recommend QEMU. Read this so yoo'll know how to launch it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QEMU#Example_of_QEMU.27s_usage