Question

David M Pelly

Hello,

Does anyone here know how to solve the following problem:

When I want to copy and paste text from some writing app to my Libre office, in this lastest case, I am copying from createspace but  the same occurs from others in the past which I do not recall the names,  the text pastes on

libre text doc in a narrow broken up column on the left side.

What causes it and how do I fix it?

David

Here is an example of what happens  when I copy from create space and paste on libre office text document:

Finally you are forcing Leg 4 to know. This is Infliction by

you at Leg 1 on Leg 4.

You force your ne

ighbor to eat one of your apples by telling

him you will be insulted if he doesn’t eat it.

Editor)

Level 4 Commands

1. Forced to know

2. Preventing from being known

3. Prevented from knowing

4. Forcing to be known

5. Forced to be known

6. Preventing from

knowing

7. Prevented from being known

8. Forcing to know

[Note. It helps to put self and others on these overwhelms as:

1.

self

Forced to know

by other

2.

self

Preventing

other

from being known

3.

self

Prevented from knowing

by other

4.

self

Forcing

othe

to be known

5.

self

Forced to be known

by other

6.

self

Preventing

other

from knowing

7.

self

Prevented from being known

by other

8.

self

Forcing

other

to know

Re: Question

parkerd
There are formatting commands embedded in the test that you copy.

To paste your copied text into OpenOffice or LibreOffice Writer:

click Edit
click Paste Special
click Unformatted text

(The keyboard shortcut is Ctrl-Shift-V )

The text will be formatted with whatever paragraph format is associated with your insertion point.

If you want rock-solid control of your formatting, you have to invest in FrameMaker from Adobe.
You will also have to set up a virtual machine to run Windoz inside Linux since FrameMaker only runs on Windoz and UNIX.  It is too bad that word processors such as Word and OpenOffice and LibreOffice cannot actually format text based on their very own paragraph format.  I don't even know why they even have pretend to support paragraph formats.  Tagging a paragraph simply does not work 99% of the time.

Please note: message attached

From: David M Pelly <[hidden email]>
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Subject: Question
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 00:18:20 +0000

Re: Question

Bob Jonkman

Parker, David wrote:
> It is too bad that word processors such as Word and OpenOffice and
>  LibreOffice cannot actually format text based on their very own
> paragraph format.

Word processors are not desktop publishers. When David pastes text with
embedded formatting, it is entirely expected that the formatting is
pasted too, otherwise he'd have to make several edits (copy text from
source, paste text in LO, copy formatting from source (how?), paste
formatting in LO).

You gave the correct advice about removing formatting from pasted text.
But I wonder if embedded line breaks are considered formatting, or if
they're considered unformatted text.

> If you want rock-solid control of your formatting, you have to
> invest in FrameMaker from Adobe.

TeX and LaTeX are the de facto text publishing tools for GNU/Linux.
They are powerful, and probably far more flexible than FrameMaker.
Certainly more extensible, since source code is provided for TeX and
LaTex.

And there are plenty of other Ubuntu packages that come up when I
searh for "desktop publishing":

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=desktop+publishing&searchon=all&suite=all&section=all

or "typesetting":

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=all&section=all&arch=any&keywords=typesetting&searchon=all

There's no need for recommending proprietary software that runs only
on proprietary operating systems, especially on an Ubuntu mailing list.

And it's "Windows". Be polite.

- --Bob.

On 2016-09-26 10:00 PM, Parker, David wrote:

> There are formatting commands embedded in the test that you copy.
>
> To paste your copied text into OpenOffice or LibreOffice Writer:
>
> click Edit click Paste Special click Unformatted text
>
> (The keyboard shortcut is Ctrl-Shift-V )
>
> The text will be formatted with whatever paragraph format is
> associated with your insertion point.
>
> If you want rock-solid control of your formatting, you have to
> invest in FrameMaker from Adobe. You will also have to set up a
> virtual machine to run Windoz inside Linux since FrameMaker only
> runs on Windoz and UNIX.  It is too bad that word processors such
> as Word and OpenOffice and LibreOffice cannot actually format text
> based on their very own paragraph format.  I don't even know why
> they even have pretend to support paragraph formats.  Tagging a
> paragraph simply does not work 99% of the time.
>

> On 2016-09-26 08:18 PM, David M Pelly wrote: Hello,
>

> Does anyone here know how to solve the following problem:
>
> When I want to copy and paste text from some writing app to my
> Libre office, in this lastest case, I am copying from createspace
> but  the same occurs from others in the past which I do not recall
> the names, the text pastes on libre text doc in a narrow broken up
> column on the left side.
>
> What causes it and how do I fix it?
>

> David
- --

- --
Bob Jonkman <[hidden email]>          Phone: +1-519-635-9413
SOBAC Microcomputer Services             http://sobac.com/sobac/
Software   ---   Office & Business Automation   ---   Consulting

Re: Question

David M Pelly

Thanks for the reply, guys.

It will take me some time to figure out what you all mean.

Copy  and pasting works if I do only one line at a time.

David

On 2016-09-26 10:00 PM, Parker, David wrote:
> There are formatting commands embedded in the test that you copy.
>
> To paste your copied text into OpenOffice or LibreOffice Writer:
>
> click Edit click Paste Special click Unformatted text
>
> (The keyboard shortcut is Ctrl-Shift-V )
>
> The text will be formatted with whatever paragraph format is
> associated with your insertion point.
>
> If you want rock-solid control of your formatting, you have to
> invest in FrameMaker from Adobe. You will also have to set up a
> virtual machine to run Windoz inside Linux since FrameMaker only
> runs on Windoz and UNIX.  It is too bad that word processors such
> as Word and OpenOffice and LibreOffice cannot actually format text
> based on their very own paragraph format.  I don't even know why
> they even have pretend to support paragraph formats.  Tagging a
> paragraph simply does not work 99% of the time.
>

> On 2016-09-26 08:18 PM, David M Pelly wrote: Hello,
>

> Does anyone here know how to solve the following problem:
>
> When I want to copy and paste text from some writing app to my
> Libre office, in this lastest case, I am copying from createspace
> but  the same occurs from others in the past which I do not recall
> the names, the text pastes on libre text doc in a narrow broken up
> column on the left side.
>
> What causes it and how do I fix it?
>

> David
- --