REISUB versus ctrl-alt-del

Thufir Hawat
I know that it's possible to enable ctrl-alt-del to kill X Windows, buy
what was the rationale for getting rid of it?

REISUB is such overkill for the most common problems -- which can be
solved by either killing X or logging out!

Is there nothing, enabled by default, less drastic than REISUB?

thanks,

Thufir

Re: REISUB versus ctrl-alt-del

Tom H-4
On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 8:46 PM, Thufir Hawat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know that it's possible to enable ctrl-alt-del to kill X Windows, buy
> what was the rationale for getting rid of it?
>
> REISUB is such overkill for the most common problems -- which can be
> solved by either killing X or logging out!
>
> Is there nothing, enabled by default, less drastic than REISUB?

You're confusing ctrl-alt-backspace and ctrl-alt-del.

The first is to kill X and it can be re-enabled through the GUI or the
CLI. It's probably been disabled in default X installs to prevent
anyone from using it by mistake.

The second is to reboot and AFAIK it's enabled by default and can be
disabled through the BIOS.

On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 23:28:24 -0500, Tom H wrote:

> The first is to kill X and it can be re-enabled through the GUI or the
> CLI. It's probably been disabled in default X installs to prevent anyone
> from using it by mistake.

Well, my question remains:  REISUB is overkill.  Isn't there anything
less drastic which works by default?

-Thufir

Re: REISUB versus ctrl-alt-del

Steve Flynn
On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 6:43 AM, Thufir Hawat <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 23:28:24 -0500, Tom H wrote:
>
>> The first is to kill X and it can be re-enabled through the GUI or the
>> CLI. It's probably been disabled in default X installs to prevent anyone
>> from using it by mistake.
>
> Well, my question remains:  REISUB is overkill.  Isn't there anything
> less drastic which works by default?

As you said, logging out and ordering a shutdown will normally work.
The SysReq keystroke sequence intended to perform a shutdown when the
kernel is hanging barely on to it's sanity. I've had to use it twice
since 1994.

--
Steve

Re: REISUB versus ctrl-alt-del

PleegWat
On 03/05/2011 07:43 AM, Thufir Hawat wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 23:28:24 -0500, Tom H wrote:
>

>> The first is to kill X and it can be re-enabled through the GUI or the
>> CLI. It's probably been disabled in default X installs to prevent anyone
>> from using it by mistake.
>
> Well, my question remains:  REISUB is overkill.  Isn't there anything
> less drastic which works by default?
>

> -Thufir

You can use ctrl-alt-F1 (through F6) to switch to a different virtual
console, which will give you a text logon. Use alt-f7 to go back. The
extra 'ctrl' is only needed when the active console has X running.

You may use alt-sysrq-R to force keyboard control away from X if the
commands above don't work - in that case I think adding ctrl to alt-F1
is no longer needed.

You may use alt-sysrq-K to kill all processes on the active virtual
terminal (unless I'm misremembering?). However if X is borked, I'm not
sure which of these routes will switch to text mode correctly.

A trick I've used myself is when the screensaver password box becomes
unresponsive. (My previous system at work had that sometimes). After
switching to virtual console 1 and logging in, I'd send a sighup to the
relevant process and it would then start working again.

PleegWat

Re: REISUB versus ctrl-alt-del

Marius Gedminas-2
On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 01:46:11AM +0000, Thufir Hawat wrote:
> I know that it's possible to enable ctrl-alt-del to kill X Windows, buy
> what was the rationale for getting rid of it?

Too easy to hit by accident.  I've done that myself.  Twice.

> REISUB is such overkill for the most common problems -- which can be
> solved by either killing X or logging out!
>
> Is there nothing, enabled by default, less drastic than REISUB?

Alt+SysRq+K (kill all processes running on this virtual console) is the
closest thing to the old Ctrl+Alt+Backspace (kill X).

I've had to use it once, and it worked fine for me (Intel video with
kernel modesetting).  IIRC upstart then restarted gdm for me, so I
got a new login screen automatically.

Marius Gedminas
--
How much net work could a network work, if a network could net work?

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 1:43 AM, Thufir Hawat <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 23:28:24 -0500, Tom H wrote:
>>
>> The first is to kill X and it can be re-enabled through the GUI or the
>> CLI. It's probably been disabled in default X installs to prevent anyone
>> from using it by mistake.
>
> Well, my question remains:  REISUB is overkill.  Isn't there anything
> less drastic which works by default?

What's so difficult about re-enabling ctrl-alt-backspace?

Switching to another vt and kiling X orstopping/killing gdm is much
better than reisub.

On Sun, Mar 06, 2011 at 03:09:34AM -0500, Tom H wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 1:43 AM, Thufir Hawat <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 23:28:24 -0500, Tom H wrote:
> >>
> >> The first is to kill X and it can be re-enabled through the GUI or the
> >> CLI. It's probably been disabled in default X installs to prevent anyone
> >> from using it by mistake.
> >
> > Well, my question remains:  REISUB is overkill.  Isn't there anything
> > less drastic which works by default?
>
> What's so difficult about re-enabling ctrl-alt-backspace?
Precognition: you realize you needed to do that when X actually freezes,
when it's too late.

> Switching to another vt and kiling X orstopping/killing gdm is much
> better than reisub.

Provided that you can switch to another vt (KMS helps here a lot).

ssh is also a useful alternative (if you have a network and a second
computer).

Marius Gedminas
--
Always forgive your enemies.  Nothing annoys them more.
                -- Oscar Wilde

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Marius Gedminas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 06, 2011 at 03:09:34AM -0500, Tom H wrote:
>>
>> Switching to another vt and kiling X orstopping/killing gdm is much
>> better than reisub.
>
> Provided that you can switch to another vt (KMS helps here a lot).

Of course :)