Re: ATI Driver

Christopher Nelson-2
On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 12:14:53PM -0800, Daniel Lausevic wrote:
> Has anyone had luck installing the ATI drivers from the official site? I
> never had luck in Fedora, but now that I'm with Kubuntu, I want to know if
> there are any snags before I go for it.
>
> I downloaded the .run file just now and it is safely nestled in my thumb
> drive until I get home.

I don't have any experience with the official ATI drivers, but I have
used the driver in the "linux-restricted-modules-k7", and it worked
without a problem.  ppracer worked, at least.  The guide I used to get
it set up is at:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=24557
if you want to go that route instead of using the official .run file.

> I just wish Kubuntu would install the driver during the OS install like
> Mepis does. Oh well. Now I need to figure out how to submit suggestions to
> the devs.

At least for the x86, the "linux-restricted-modules-386" package is
installed by default I believe, the included modules just aren't set up
to be used.

--
Christopher Nelson - chris AT cavein DOT org
Knight Errant of the Most Radiant Order of the Shield

Re: ATI Driver

calcmandan

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=24557" target="_blank">http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=24557
if you want to go that route instead of using the official .run file.

> I just wish Kubuntu would install the driver during the OS install like
> Mepis does. Oh well. Now I need to figure out how to submit suggestions to
> the devs.

At least for the x86, the "linux-restricted-modules-386" package is
installed by default I believe, the included modules just aren't set up
to be used.

The instructions left on the previous msg worked just dandy for me.  I've been playing a host of games flawlessly.  Thanks for your help anyway.  Always appreciated.