Re: Emacs, very slow startup...

Andrea Giuliano
You're right. With the default fonts Emacs starts as usual.

Unfortunately, those fonts are ugly. At least they're too big.

Many thanks anyway.

Fede wrote:

> I have the same problems. I don't know why but it is becouse of changing the font.
> Try to remove the font entry in your .emacs and test again.
>
> Fede
>
> On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 13:27:07 +0200
> Andrea Giuliano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>It happens with XML files, but also with some very short and simple
>>config files in /etc, and even with my ~/.forward file (a single line).
>>
>>Christoph Bier wrote:

>>>I can not reproduce this. Which mode is used for this file? Or does
>>>it occur with every file and different modi?
>>>
>>>[...]
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>    Christoph
>>
>>--
>>Andrea Giuliano, Ph. D.
>>ICCU - Istituto Centrale per il Catalogo Unico
>>Viale Castro Pretorio 105, Rome - ITALY
>>Tel. +39064989509, Fax +39064059302
>>
>>--

Andrea Giuliano, Ph. D.
ICCU - Istituto Centrale per il Catalogo Unico
Viale Castro Pretorio 105, Rome - ITALY
Tel. +39064989509, Fax +39064059302

Re: Emacs, very slow startup...

hometoast
This sounds like a similar problem I had with vim.  I was actually running vim thru Xwin remotely from my ubuntu box.
Initially i was running vim with GTK gui; and it moved right along and looked great.
I rebuilt it to include some features but I (inadvertantly) changed the gui to MOTIF.  When loading with motif it took forever.

Double check to see what gui toolkit it is using; maybe you can change it to/from GTK, gnome, qt, motif, whatever.  I'm a vim guy, but I'm sure someone here would know how to change the default gui for [x]emacs.

good luck,

Fede wrote:

> I have the same problems. I don't know why but it is becouse of changing the font.
> Try to remove the font entry in your .emacs and test again.
>
> Fede
>
> On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 13:27:07 +0200
> Andrea Giuliano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>It happens with XML files, but also with some very short and simple
>>config files in /etc, and even with my ~/.forward file (a single line).
>>
>>Christoph Bier wrote:

>>>I can not reproduce this. Which mode is used for this file? Or does
>>>it occur with every file and different modi?
>>>
>>>[...]
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>    Christoph
>>
>>--
>>Andrea Giuliano, Ph. D.
>>ICCU - Istituto Centrale per il Catalogo Unico
>>Viale Castro Pretorio 105, Rome - ITALY
>>Tel. +39064989509, Fax +39064059302
>>
>>--

Andrea Giuliano, Ph. D.
ICCU - Istituto Centrale per il Catalogo Unico
Viale Castro Pretorio 105, Rome - ITALY
Tel. +39064989509, Fax +39064059302

Re: Emacs, very slow startup...

Kevin O'Gorman
This sounds like a vim problem I'm having.  If you're a vim guy, maybe you can give a quick
pointer to how to change the vim GUI?

Thanks

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Re: Emacs, very slow startup...

hometoast
The only way I know of is to recompile vim with a different toolkit using compile options: --[enable,disable]-gtk-check --[en,dis]able-motif-check etc.
Again, this may not be the problem Andrea was having with her emacs; rather a similar observation when I recompiled vim with motif.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD