Re: Entry 60 error, software updater failed; can't find file /etc/apt/sources.list

Re: Entry 60 error, software updater failed; can't find file /etc/apt/sources.list

ubuntu-users mailing list
Hi again Colin,

Sorry, i didn't register that as a file. doh. i found the file in the computer file list under files and folders, apt sources.list.save & i think this is the right one, etc/apt/ so here's what i found.

deb-src http://archive.canonica.com/ubyntu oneiric partner

Is that what you mean? Would the detail from sources.list.save be useful?

i'm at a loss & out of my depth. Thanks again for your patience.

david

Sent from ProtonMail, encrypted email based in Switzerland.

Re: Entry 60 error, software updater failed; can't find file /etc/apt/sources.list

Colin Law
On 4 August 2018 at 21:05, djlafond via ubuntu-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi again Colin,

Sorry, i didn't register that as a file. doh. i found the file in the computer file list under files and folders, apt sources.list.save & i think this is the right one, etc/apt/ so here's what i found.

not sources.list.save but sources.list

In a terminal run
gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
which should open it in an editor (you won't be able to save it from there as you will need sudo privileges to do that, but lets not worry about that yet).  Copy/paste the whole contents here.  The error said there was an error at line 60.

Colin

Re: Entry 60 error, software updater failed; can't find file /etc/apt/sources.list

Gene Heskett-2

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

A .save file is an old one, saved for recovery because the real one has
been replaced by a pkg update.  Show us that same filename but w/o
the .save extension.  Just copy/paste the whole thing AFTER turning off
the wordwrap in your email agent.

> >> ubuntu-users mailing list
> >> [hidden email]
> >> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

On Saturday 04 August 2018 16:14:12 Colin Law wrote:

> On 4 August 2018 at 21:05, djlafond via ubuntu-users <
>
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi again Colin,
> >
> > Sorry, i didn't register that as a file. doh. i found the file in
> > the computer file list under files and folders, apt
> > sources.list.save & i think this is the right one, etc/apt/ so
> > here's what i found.
>
> not sources.list.save but sources.list
>
> In a terminal run
> gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
> which should open it in an editor (you won't be able to save it from
> there as you will need sudo privileges to do that, but lets not worry
> about that yet).  Copy/paste the whole contents here.  The error said
> there was an error at line 60.
>
> Colin

If gedit was used on that file before, all bets are off and it may
contain most anything but a valid sources.list now. I've had that happen
too many times Colin, and nuked gedit from all my systems going on about
2 years ago now.  Neither nano, nor geany (needs X)  has ever trashed a
file. 60 lines is in fact a possibility, but the usual install is less
than 20, and this user is not a "power" user, so 60 lines also raised a
red flag for me.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

On 4 August 2018 at 22:50, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
If gedit was used on that file before, all bets are off and it may
contain most anything but a valid sources.list now. I've had that happen
too many times Colin, and nuked gedit from all my systems going on about
2 years ago now.  Neither nano, nor geany (needs X)  has ever trashed a
file. 60 lines is in fact a possibility, but the usual install is less
than 20, and this user is not a "power" user, so 60 lines also raised a
red flag for me.

I have never had any problems with gedit, though one must never use it with sudo of course, being a graphical app.  The default sources.list on 18.04 has 51 lines so where your 'less than 20' comes from I don't know.  The guy followed some duff instructions on how to install something I believe and that is how it got messed up.

Colin

On Sunday 05 August 2018 03:56:36 Colin Law wrote:

> On 4 August 2018 at 22:50, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > If gedit was used on that file before, all bets are off and it may
> > contain most anything but a valid sources.list now. I've had that
> > happen too many times Colin, and nuked gedit from all my systems
> > going on about 2 years ago now.  Neither nano, nor geany (needs X)
> > has ever trashed a file. 60 lines is in fact a possibility, but the
> > usual install is less than 20, and this user is not a "power" user,
> > so 60 lines also raised a red flag for me.
>
> I have never had any problems with gedit, though one must never use it
> with sudo of course, being a graphical app.  The default sources.list
> on 18.04 has 51 lines so where your 'less than 20' comes from I don't
> know.  The guy followed some duff instructions on how to install
> something I believe and that is how it got messed up.
>
> Colin

Well, TBT, I am used to debian now, and the typical sources.list is
shorter.

But I'll stand by my comments on gedit. We have, quite often after we
have made a very basic .hal file to configure a cnc machine, but the
fawncier stuffs we have to add by hand, and the 3rd time it took a 700
LOC file and made 1700 lines of nonsensical trash that would not parse
in the interpretor was the back breaker for me, it likes to pick up 30
lines of random code that didn't start or end with a linefeed, and
insert it midline at random earlier locations in the code, random
numbers of times. Regenerating 700 LOC entirely from memory is painfull
enough and it appeared I had better find a new editor, which in my case
was geany. Which has so far behaved itself perfectly. If gedit hasn't
bitten you yet, feel blessed.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

On 5 August 2018 at 12:14, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sunday 05 August 2018 03:56:36 Colin Law wrote:

> On 4 August 2018 at 22:50, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > If gedit was used on that file before, all bets are off and it may
> > contain most anything but a valid sources.list now. I've had that
> > happen too many times Colin, and nuked gedit from all my systems
> > going on about 2 years ago now.  Neither nano, nor geany (needs X)
> > has ever trashed a file. 60 lines is in fact a possibility, but the
> > usual install is less than 20, and this user is not a "power" user,
> > so 60 lines also raised a red flag for me.
>
> I have never had any problems with gedit, though one must never use it
> with sudo of course, being a graphical app.  The default sources.list
> on 18.04 has 51 lines so where your 'less than 20' comes from I don't
> know.  The guy followed some duff instructions on how to install
> something I believe and that is how it got messed up.
>
> Colin

Well, TBT, I am used to debian now, and the typical sources.list is
shorter.

But I'll stand by my comments on gedit. We have, quite often after we
have made a very basic .hal file to configure a cnc machine, but the
fawncier stuffs we have to add by hand, and the 3rd time it took a 700
LOC file and made 1700 lines of nonsensical trash that would not parse
in the interpretor was the back breaker for me, it likes to pick up 30
lines of random code that didn't start or end with a linefeed, and
insert it midline at random earlier locations in the code, random
numbers of times. Regenerating 700 LOC entirely from memory is painfull
enough and it appeared I had better find a new editor, which in my case
was geany. Which has so far behaved itself perfectly. If gedit hasn't
bitten you yet, feel blessed.

I trust you submitted a bug report.

Colin

wrote:

> > > I have never had any problems with gedit, though one must never
> > > use it with sudo of course, being a graphical app.  The default
> > > sources.list on 18.04 has 51 lines so where your 'less than 20'
> > > comes from I don't know.  The guy followed some duff instructions
> > > on how to install something I believe and that is how it got
> > > messed up.
> > >
> > > Colin
> >
> > Well, TBT, I am used to debian now, and the typical sources.list is
> > shorter.
> >
> > But I'll stand by my comments on gedit. We have, quite often after
> > we have made a very basic .hal file to configure a cnc machine, but
> > the fawncier stuffs we have to add by hand, and the 3rd time it took
> > a 700 LOC file and made 1700 lines of nonsensical trash that would
> > not parse in the interpretor was the back breaker for me, it likes
> > to pick up 30 lines of random code that didn't start or end with a
> > linefeed, and insert it midline at random earlier locations in the
> > code, random numbers of times. Regenerating 700 LOC entirely from
> > memory is painfull enough and it appeared I had better find a new
> > editor, which in my case was geany. Which has so far behaved itself
> > perfectly. If gedit hasn't bitten you yet, feel blessed.
>
> I trust you submitted a bug report.

Should have been a ?, yes, but it wasn't printable, I was plenty upset at
the time and gave it a piece of my mind. Never got a reply or any other
indication it was actually filed, and haven't checked. Once I am done
with a product, I'm done. But that doesn't mean I won't attempt to
advise other users of my experience.

In the case of the last file it trashed, it took about a week to rewrite
it for satisfactory operation of a small metal lathe I had converted to
be run by linuxcnc.  A week I spent entirely too much time on,
occasionally referencing a previous but out of date printout and
discussing with myself, the authors family tree. I now kill a tree
everytime I make a mod to those files just in case.

A lesson a friendly intern gave me when I was 17 or 18, 65 years ago &
having symptoms of an ulcer, "if you can do something about a bad
situation, bust your ass and do it. But if you can't fix it, do not
loose any sleep over it". So I didn't, and my ulcer symptoms were gone
in a week. Good advice I think...

And a small penance for having outlived all my enemies but one, me!

Take care, Colin. These lists need helpfull people like you, and I thank
you.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

On 5 August 2018 at 17:26, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sunday 05 August 2018 08:29:19 Colin Law wrote:

> On 5 August 2018 at 12:14, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Sunday 05 August 2018 03:56:36 Colin Law wrote:
> > >
> > > I have never had any problems with gedit, though one must never
> > > use it with sudo of course, being a graphical app.  The default
> > > sources.list on 18.04 has 51 lines so where your 'less than 20'
> > > comes from I don't know.  The guy followed some duff instructions
> > > on how to install something I believe and that is how it got
> > > messed up.
> > >
> > > Colin
> >
> > Well, TBT, I am used to debian now, and the typical sources.list is
> > shorter.
> >
> > But I'll stand by my comments on gedit. We have, quite often after
> > we have made a very basic .hal file to configure a cnc machine, but
> > the fawncier stuffs we have to add by hand, and the 3rd time it took
> > a 700 LOC file and made 1700 lines of nonsensical trash that would
> > not parse in the interpretor was the back breaker for me, it likes
> > to pick up 30 lines of random code that didn't start or end with a
> > linefeed, and insert it midline at random earlier locations in the
> > code, random numbers of times. Regenerating 700 LOC entirely from
> > memory is painfull enough and it appeared I had better find a new
> > editor, which in my case was geany. Which has so far behaved itself
> > perfectly. If gedit hasn't bitten you yet, feel blessed.
>
> I trust you submitted a bug report.

Should have been a ?, yes, but it wasn't printable, I was plenty upset at
the time and gave it a piece of my mind. Never got a reply or any other
indication it was actually filed, and haven't checked. Once I am done
with a product, I'm done. But that doesn't mean I won't attempt to
advise other users of my experience.

In the case of the last file it trashed, it took about a week to rewrite
it for satisfactory operation of a small metal lathe I had converted to
be run by linuxcnc.  A week I spent entirely too much time on,
occasionally referencing a previous but out of date printout and
discussing with myself, the authors family tree. I now kill a tree
everytime I make a mod to those files just in case.

I can't help thinking that if this were a general problem with gedit then others would have noted it.
You could put such files under git control and then commit them every time you make a significant change.  That is how I generally manage things.  With a remote repo on a remote server there is automatically an offsite backup and an audit trail.

Colin

wrote:

> > > I trust you submitted a bug report.
> >
> > Should have been a ?, yes, but it wasn't printable, I was plenty
> > upset at the time and gave it a piece of my mind. Never got a reply
> > or any other indication it was actually filed, and haven't checked.
> > Once I am done with a product, I'm done. But that doesn't mean I
> > won't attempt to advise other users of my experience.
> >
> > In the case of the last file it trashed, it took about a week to
> > rewrite it for satisfactory operation of a small metal lathe I had
> > converted to be run by linuxcnc.  A week I spent entirely too much
> > time on, occasionally referencing a previous but out of date
> > printout and discussing with myself, the authors family tree. I now
> > kill a tree everytime I make a mod to those files just in case.
>
> I can't help thinking that if this were a general problem with gedit
> then others would have noted it.
> You could put such files under git control and then commit them every
> time you make a significant change.  That is how I generally manage
> things. With a remote repo on a remote server there is automatically
> an offsite backup and an audit trail.
>
> Colin

I have never considered such a thing. If my nc_files directory was a
manageable size, maybe, but several hundred 50 to 200000 LOC files would
not be entirely practical, I will occasionally cross-copy from machine
to machine then modify the copy to reflect the abilities of the the new
home machine, without renaming it, so I don't see how practical that
might be in the long view. All this is included in the nightly amanda
backup of course, but recovery is rarely done on a per file basis, plus
amanda records the src device and won't gracefully allow recovery to a
different device. Maybe I should do an rsync to a local backup tree on
the same spindle? All these machines have plenty of space to do that.
Even those I have recently installed smaller SSD's into. Far less power
and up to 5x faster than spinning rust drives.  Hindsight, always 20-5.
Round tuit's are in short supply though, I'm going to have to make more
if I ever find a decent, free to use pattern. So far, everything I've
found is also copyrighted. Darn it.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: Entry 60 error, software updater failed; can't find file /etc/apt/sources.list

Paul Smith-2
On Sun, 2018-08-05 at 13:33 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I have never considered such a thing. If my nc_files directory was a
> manageable size, maybe, but several hundred 50 to 200000 LOC files
> would not be entirely practical,

Honestly, that will be no problem for Git.

The entire Linux kernel is kept as a single Git repository.  The source
for the kernel consists of 61,000 files with over 800MB of content.
And there are companies that keep *far* larger repositories than that
(so I've heard).

More generally, the best answer for avoiding swearing due to data loss
is reliable, consistent backups.  It doesn't matter what backup method
you choose: a remote Git repository is a great option, and has many
advantages, if you can become diligent about committing and pushing
changes in your workflow.  If not, find a backup solution that works
automatically.

Of course you should avoid tools that you've found to be unreliable,
but even if you do that you're still subject to disk failures,
lightning strikes, fat-fingers/PEBKAC, etc.  There's no substitute for
backups.

Re: Entry 60 error, software updater failed; can't find file /etc/apt/sources.list

rikona
On Sun, 5 Aug 2018 18:02:22 +0100
Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5 August 2018 at 17:26, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Sunday 05 August 2018 08:29:19 Colin Law wrote:

> > > I trust you submitted a bug report.
> >
> > Should have been a ?, yes, but it wasn't printable, I was plenty
> > upset at the time and gave it a piece of my mind. Never got a reply
> > or any other indication it was actually filed, and haven't checked.
> > Once I am done with a product, I'm done. But that doesn't mean I
> > won't attempt to advise other users of my experience.
> >
> > In the case of the last file it trashed, it took about a week to
> > rewrite it for satisfactory operation of a small metal lathe I had
> > converted to be run by linuxcnc.  A week I spent entirely too much
> > time on, occasionally referencing a previous but out of date
> > printout and discussing with myself, the authors family tree. I now
> > kill a tree everytime I make a mod to those files just in case.
> >

> I can't help thinking that if this were a general problem with gedit
> then others would have noted it.

I don't know if it is a general problem but I've had gedit screw up
files on occasion too. Not very crucial ones like Gene, but enough to
not use it very much any more. My favorite is the antique kate and I
also use geany ( at his suggestion) and like it.

> You could put such files under git control and then commit them every
> time you make a significant change.  That is how I generally manage
> things. With a remote repo on a remote server there is automatically
> an offsite backup and an audit trail.
>
> Colin

Re: Entry 60 error, software updater failed; can't find file /etc/apt/sources.list

Peter Flynn
On 05/08/18 19:13, Paul Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 2018-08-05 at 13:33 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I have never considered such a thing. If my nc_files directory was a
>> manageable size, maybe, but several hundred 50 to 200000 LOC files
>> would not be entirely practical,
>
> Honestly, that will be no problem for Git.

Nor for pretty much any versioning repository (I use Subversion, but Git
is nice too). 200k × 80-char LOC is 15MB. Times 500 is 7.5GB. My svn dev
repos come to about 30GB sitting on a server elsewhere in on the
premises, accessible from outside, so I can access them on several
machines. The files also replicated independently with rsync to a remote
dump, where they eventually get periodically written off to tape. I'm
working solo, so features for sharing are not relevant; what is
essential is that I can commit even if my connection to the outside is
temporarily down.

> [...] you're still subject to disk failures, lightning strikes,
> fat-fingers/PEBKAC, etc. There's no substitute for backups.

As I get older the fat-fingering increases, so does my own memory of
what I have stored where. I *have* lost files over the decades, but
through my own carelessness and through a power brown-out which fried a
machine before it got that day's backup, not through any fault of the
software, and in all but a few cases there were copies elsewhere.

///Peter

On Sunday 05 August 2018 14:13:15 Paul Smith wrote:

> On Sun, 2018-08-05 at 13:33 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I have never considered such a thing. If my nc_files directory was a
> > manageable size, maybe, but several hundred 50 to 200000 LOC files
> > would not be entirely practical,
>
> Honestly, that will be no problem for Git.
>
> The entire Linux kernel is kept as a single Git repository.  The
> source for the kernel consists of 61,000 files with over 800MB of
> content. And there are companies that keep *far* larger repositories
> than that (so I've heard).
>

> More generally, the best answer for avoiding swearing due to data loss
> is reliable, consistent backups.  It doesn't matter what backup method
> you choose: a remote Git repository is a great option, and has many
> advantages, if you can become diligent about committing and pushing
> changes in your workflow.  If not, find a backup solution that works
> automatically.
>
> Of course you should avoid tools that you've found to be unreliable,
> but even if you do that you're still subject to disk failures,
> lightning strikes, fat-fingers/PEBKAC, etc.  There's no substitute for
> backups.

I've been using amanda since about 20 years now. And its doing 5 of my
machines everynight. Recovery can be a bit clumsy, but that can be
worked around.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)