Re: Entry 60 error, software updater failure

Re: Entry 60 error, software updater failure

Colin Law
Hi David

Please reply to the Ubuntu list rather than just to me.
You did not answer my question, what is around that line in the file?

Colin

On Fri, 3 Aug 2018, 23:39 djlafond, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Colin,

Thanks again. Sorry, i should have changed the subject line in my reply to your advice, just missed that. i will be more attentive in future.

Here's the entire error message from the drop down at the top of the screen in chromium, the red circle with the horizontal white bar through it.

An error occurred, please run Package Manager from the right-click menu or apt-get in a terminal window to see what went wrong. The error message was: ‘Error: Opening the cache (E:Malformed entry 60 in list file /etc/apt/sources.list (Component), E:The list of sources could not be read.)’. This usually means that your installed packages have unmet dependencies.

When i ran sudo apt clean and then sudo apt update, the detail i included in my reply was all that was generated in response to my entry of sudo apt update.

This all happened after having trouble trying to link the Vivaldi browser to Ubuntu. i followed their instructions precisely & that generated the unmet dependencies error. i'm afraid i then compounded the problem by trying unsuccessfully to uninstall vivaldi. Maybe that's what actually generated the dependencies error, i'm not sure. i didn't unfortunately save the terminal screen when that first showed up. i'm not sure what else i can tell you. At least according to the error message in the title bar at the top (which only shows up once i go on line with an open browser) if i could run Package Manager that might fix it but haven't had any luck finding how to do that.

Thanks for your responses, help  & patience.

david

Sent from ProtonMail, encrypted email based in Switzerland.

Re: Entry 60 error, software updater failure

ubuntu-users mailing list
Hi Colin,

There was nothing else, no punctuation beyond what i pasted in the prior message. That's the error message i got. i don't mean to be dense, i just don't see anything else. The entire content of my terminal mode attempt trying what you advised initially is this--i just did it again to get it all. i just exited after that.

david@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt clean
david@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt update
E: Malformed entry 60 in list file /etc/apt/sources.list (Component)
E: The list of sources could not be read.
david@ubuntu:~$

After that i exited.

i guess i'm not sure what file you mean. i haven't run anything else for fear of compounding the problem.

On Sat, 4 Aug 2018, 08:58 djlafond via ubuntu-users, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Colin,

There was nothing else, no punctuation beyond what i pasted in the prior message. That's the error message i got. i don't mean to be dense, i just don't see anything else. The entire content of my terminal mode attempt trying what you advised initially is this--i just did it again to get it all. i just exited after that.

david@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt clean
david@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt update
E: Malformed entry 60 in list file /etc/apt/sources.list (Component)
E: The list of sources could not be read.
david@ubuntu:~$

After that i exited.

i guess i'm not sure what file you mean.

I mean the file mentioned in the error: /etc/apt/sources.list

Colin