Re: Freenx & desktop sharing

Matt Price-3
On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 03:58:40PM +0100, Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:
> On di, 2005-11-01 at 08:05 -0600, BBBB wrote:
> > When I use VNC I see the users desktop.
> > When I tried to use freenx, I saw a different desktop.
> >
> > Is it possible to see the users desktop with freenx for helping a user
> > from
> > a distance?
>
> You can tunnel VNC over NX

So, just to be sure, two scenarios:

* I just want to do some stuff on my work machine while I'm at home,
and I don't like to work in a console.  For this freenx seems to work
quite easily, correct?

* I am at work and realize I don't have time to finish what I'm
doing.  I start up the vncserver there, go home, and access that
server through /usr/NX/bin/nxclient .  Somewhere I suppose I set
something up -- the port?  something anyway -- that tells NX to use
the VNC session.  Andthen it just connects, I suppose.

*I'm at home, and I realize I really want to access some process which
is running on my desktop at work.  Like, I forgot to save my lecture
notes & I'm leaving on a plane for a conference in 2 hours.  And
stupidly, I am not working in emacs or something that I can access
remtely, but in a plain-old openoffice window.  But VNC is not yet
running on the work machine!  For me this seems the most likely use
for remote viewing.  What do I do in THIS situation?  ANyone know?

Thanks much,

Matt

Matt Price    [hidden email]
History Department, University of Toronto
(416) 978-2094

Re: Freenx & desktop sharing

Derek Broughton-2
Matt Price wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 03:58:40PM +0100, Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:
>> On di, 2005-11-01 at 08:05 -0600, BBBB wrote:
>> > When I use VNC I see the users desktop.
>> > When I tried to use freenx, I saw a different desktop.
>> >
>> > Is it possible to see the users desktop with freenx for helping a user
>> > from
>> > a distance?
>>
>> You can tunnel VNC over NX
>
> So, just to be sure, two scenarios:
>
> * I just want to do some stuff on my work machine while I'm at home,
> and I don't like to work in a console.  For this freenx seems to work
> quite easily, correct?

Yes.

> * I am at work and realize I don't have time to finish what I'm
> doing.  I start up the vncserver there, go home, and access that
> server through /usr/NX/bin/nxclient .  Somewhere I suppose I set
> something up -- the port?  something anyway -- that tells NX to use
> the VNC session.  Andthen it just connects, I suppose.

Supposedly - haven't got it to work yet! :-(

> *I'm at home, and I realize I really want to access some process which
> is running on my desktop at work.  Like, I forgot to save my lecture
> notes & I'm leaving on a plane for a conference in 2 hours.  And
> stupidly, I am not working in emacs or something that I can access
> remtely, but in a plain-old openoffice window.  But VNC is not yet
> running on the work machine!  For me this seems the most likely use
> for remote viewing.  What do I do in THIS situation?  ANyone know?

I'm sorry, that's _three_ scenarios :-)

If it was me, VNC would always be working on the other machine, because it
would be running KDE and krfb.
--
derek