Re: Hello

Marek Pawinski
Alfred Vahau wrote:

> A recent convert and with such an active mailing list and a great
> platform, Ubuntu is truly 'The Linux for Human Beings'. I'm curious
> about where some of the subscribers on the list might be from.
>
> So I'll start with myself.
>
> Alfred Vahau from Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea (north of Australia)
>
> Alfred,

Marek Pawinski, Republic of Hout Bay, southish of Cape Town South Africa.

Re: Hello

Kush Singh
Hi Alfred,

Also a recent convert since May-June 05. Been using hoary (which had snd
card problems) and now breezy. Ubuntu is truly great and I love it.
Specially the cutting edge tools now--eclipse, etc in breezy. I use d4x
and httrack quite a bit besides gedit which has improved in this version
as well as openoffice 1.9. Inkscape is another great software. Nvu is
also helpful as a html editor (WYSIWYG).

But it takes time for the packages to be updated such as mysql 5 which
has come now but version 4 is only available via synaptic (though i
suppose it should be possible to get it directly installed from the
tar.gz files) Had a bit of trouble getting acrobat reader installed in
the direct way from adobe's site till i used synaptic for the adobe
reader. (synaptic does not come up with the adobe package when "acrobat"
is used but it is able to show the adobe reader when one searches for
"adobe")

There are some packages not yet in the universe/multiverse such as the
library automation software from koha.org.
Haven't searched for actuate yet or poseidon (UML tool) from
gentleware.org/com. Also nerolinux is missing.

Am from Mumbai India though have recently come to Toronto Canada.

Cheers,
Kussh

Alfred Vahau wrote:

> A recent convert and with such an active mailing list and a great
> platform, Ubuntu is truly 'The Linux for Human Beings'. I'm curious
> about where some of the subscribers on the list might be from.
>
> So I'll start with myself.
>
> Alfred Vahau from Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea (north of Australia)
>
> Alfred,

Re: Hello

Cybe R. Wizard
On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 10:14:43 +1000
Alfred Vahau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A recent convert and with such an active mailing list and a great
> platform, Ubuntu is truly 'The Linux for Human Beings'. I'm curious
> about where some of the subscribers on the list might be from.
>
> So I'll start with myself.
>
> Alfred Vahau from Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea (north of Australia)
>
> Alfred,

If I walk up the hill and stand in the middle of the road I can see the
St. Louis, Missouri, USA Gateway (to the West) Arch in the distance
about 15 miles as the crow flies.  I came over to Warty from Libranet
Linux after attempting to care for (difficult to really use) Sid Debian
for a few months.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
"Linux is only free if your time is worthless."
        Linus Torvalds

Re: Hello

Brian in Maine
Alfred Vahau wrote:

> A recent convert and with such an active mailing list and a great
> platform, Ubuntu is truly 'The Linux for Human Beings'. I'm curious
> about where some of the subscribers on the list might be from.
>
> So I'll start with myself.
>
> Alfred Vahau from Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea (north of Australia)
>
> Alfred,

Brian here. I am from Vienna, Maine in the US

Re: Hello

Morten W. J.

Re: Hello

Dmitry Ivanov
I'm Dmitry Ivanov from Riga, Latvia (small country somewhere between
Russia and Germany). R&D engineer at ISP. Linux user since 1998. Use
Linux almost exclusively at home and work since 2000. Two-week-old
Ubuntu user :)

Re: Hello

Max Andersen
[hidden email] wrote:

>[hidden email]

[hidden email]

wow, I didn't know that I was in the universe repository.... let's try
it out.

max@max-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install max
Password:
Reading package lists... Done