Re: My Story or How I Stopped Worrying And Got Rid Of Ubuntu!

Re: My Story or How I Stopped Worrying And Got Rid Of Ubuntu!

Shawn McMahon
On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 10:28:07PM +0100, Eric Feliksik said:
> 3) There is absolutely no reason to get rude.
> 4) Please, there is absolutely no reason to get rude.

The reviewer was rude.  This implies that he feels rudeness is a proper
tactic for engaging in this debate.  What I did is no different than an
open letter to the editor in a newspaper, using the tactics of the
person to whom I was responding.  He chose the weapons; I merely
accepted the challenge and chose a different field of battle.

--
Shawn McMahon  | When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new
EIV Consulting | bicycle.  Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work

Re: My Story or How I Stopped Worrying And Got Rid Of Ubuntu!

David Hart-3
On Friday 04 November 2005 13:21, Shawn McMahon wrote:
> The reviewer was rude.  This implies that he feels rudeness is a
> proper tactic for engaging in this debate.  What I did is no
> different than an open letter to the editor in a newspaper, using the
> tactics of the person to whom I was responding.  He chose the
> weapons; I merely accepted the challenge and chose a different field
> of battle.

You descended to his level.  You lost! :(

--
David Hart <[hidden email]>

Re: My Story or How I Stopped Worrying And Got Rid Of Ubuntu!

Daniel Robitaille
> > 3) There is absolutely no reason to get rude.
> > 4) Please, there is absolutely no reason to get rude.
>
> The reviewer was rude.  This implies that he feels rudeness is a proper
> tactic for engaging in this debate.  What I did is no different than an
> open letter to the editor in a newspaper, using the tactics of the
> person to whom I was responding.  He chose the weapons; I merely
> accepted the challenge and chose a different field of battle.

except the field of battle you chose was an Ubuntu mailing list,
hosted on Ubuntu servers.  As such, any activities you do on the list
and any battle you fight on that list is subject to the Ubuntu Code of
Conduct.  The CoC doesn't have exceptions that state that you can be
rude if the other guy was rude first.

--
Daniel Robitaille

Re: My Story or How I Stopped Worrying And Got Rid Of Ubuntu!

John-68
Shawn McMahon wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 10:28:07PM +0100, Eric Feliksik said:
>
>>3) There is absolutely no reason to get rude.
>>4) Please, there is absolutely no reason to get rude.
>

> The reviewer was rude.  This implies that he feels rudeness is a proper
> tactic for engaging in this debate.  What I did is no different than an
> open letter to the editor in a newspaper, using the tactics of the
> person to whom I was responding.  He chose the weapons; I merely
> accepted the challenge and chose a different field of battle.

If you want further rudeness, ... and made a dickhead of yourself in the
process.

What you do reflects on you: Someone drops some planes in prominent US
buildings, and Bush responds by invading Afghanistan and Iraq. How does
that promote world peace? It doesn't, it fives even more disaffected a
cause against the US.

Don't be drawn into rudeness. Especially, in Ubuntu where we'e supposed
to be promoting peace.

On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 06:57:40AM +0800, John said:

> What you do reflects on you: Someone drops some planes in prominent US
> buildings, and Bush responds by invading Afghanistan and Iraq. How does
> that promote world peace? It doesn't, it fives even more disaffected a
> cause against the US.

And thereby draws them out into the open, where we're taking care of the
problem for those of you who refuse to do so.  Terrorists and criminals
don't like us as a result?  I can live with that.

--
Shawn McMahon  | When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new
EIV Consulting | bicycle.  Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work
www.eiv.com    | that way, so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

Re: My Story or How I Stopped Worrying And Got Rid Of Ubuntu!

Jonathan Carter
Shawn McMahon wrote:
>>What you do reflects on you: Someone drops some planes in prominent US
>>buildings, and Bush responds by invading Afghanistan and Iraq. How does
>>that promote world peace? It doesn't, it fives even more disaffected a
>>cause against the US.
>

> And thereby draws them out into the open, where we're taking care of the
> problem for those of you who refuse to do so.  Terrorists and criminals
> don't like us as a result?  I can live with that.

I think the important thing to keep in mind here, is that there's an
Ubuntu code of conduct, and we should stick with that. If someone had a
bad experience with Ubuntu, we should help them make it work, not
dismiss them on public lists.

That's the way of Ubuntu.

-Jonathan

On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 05:22:19PM +0200, Jonathan Carter said:

> I think the important thing to keep in mind here, is that there's an
> Ubuntu code of conduct, and we should stick with that. If someone had a

I agree, and apologize for deviating from it.  I only hope that those
who decided to turn this into a political flame-fest (not you, your post
was calm and reasoned, albeit wrong) will do the same.