Re: PPC laptops WAS: Launchpad group for ubuntu laptop testing?

Re: PPC laptops WAS: Launchpad group for ubuntu laptop testing?

Jerome Gotangco
On 1/19/06, Mark Jaffe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What is the standing of PPC laptop users here? I have installed the Hoary
> release on an Apple Powerbook G3 (Pismo /Firewire) and would like to
> contribute to further testing. I did not have good success with later
> versions (see posting
> http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2005-November/013067.html)
>
> Mark

We currently don't have official test units for PPC but test data for
current milestone releases are definitely welcome.

Jerome Gotangco
[hidden email] | [hidden email]
Mobile: +639196555242
GPG: 0xA97B69A0

Re: PPC laptops WAS: Launchpad group for ubuntu laptop testing?

Keywan Najafi Tonekaboni
Hi,

I use Breezy on my ibook G4 12"/1.33GHz and nearly everything works
fine, also wireless with AirportExtreme (but not with an official
kernel).

I am quite busy at the moment, so I didn't managed to add the
LaptopTestinTeam-Page earlier:

2e33GHz#preview

Regards,

Keywan

P.S: I wrote in my blog something about Ubuntu and the iBook, but it's
in german: http://www.prometoys.net/blog

--
Keywan Najafi Tonekaboni
http://www.prometoys.net

people@world:/# apt-get --purge remove dominion
After unpacking world will be freed.
You are about to do something potentially beneficial
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as We say!'

Re: Broadcom wireless "Airport Extreme" (was: PPC laptops)

Paul Sladen-2
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Keywan Najafi Tonekaboni wrote:

Hi Keywan,

> wireless with AirportExtreme (but not with an official kernel).

Is this using the bcm4300 driver from:

  http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/

Did it work out of the box and which 802.11 stack did you use, Devicescape
or Softmac?

        -Paul
--
This country is covered in white fluffy snow.  Helsinki, FI

Re: Broadcom wireless "Airport Extreme" (was: PPC laptops)

Keywan Najafi Tonekaboni
Hi Paul,

Am Freitag, den 20.01.2006, 12:55 +0000 schrieb Paul Sladen:

> > wireless with AirportExtreme (but not with an official kernel).
>
> Is this using the bcm4300 driver from:
>
>   http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/
>
> Did it work out of the box and which 802.11 stack did you use, Devicescape
> or Softmac?

yes, I use the bcm43xx driver and softmac. There are debian packages
avaible for ubuntu, a friend built them.

http://www.code-fu.de/kernel-image-2.6.15_custom.1.0.dbg2_powerpc.deb

and

http://www.code-fu.de/bcm-modules-2006-01-16.tgz

You still need to extract the firmware and put it in /lib/hotplug/firmware/.

There are some essential changes in the kernel 2.6.15, so some stuff
with hotplug and udev ist broken. I mean, kernel 2.6.15 works normally
not with breezy. But I have just the problem, that nautilus/gnome/totem
didnt detect mounted usb-sticks and cd-rom/dvd, but you can use them
with opening the folder, e.g. /media/cdrom0 instead of "CD-Drive".

I think all other details should discussed on a other place. I will try to put
usefull information on the wikipage. Maybe some native English-speakers could fix
mistakes in grammar and spelling.

Good Luck,

Keywan

--
Keywan Najafi Tonekaboni
http://www.prometoys.net
PGP Fingerprint: D5A1 A22E 3758 C9B4 57D2  3CAF EE52 1A78 C6A0 6934

people@world:/# apt-get --purge remove dominion
After unpacking world will be freed.
You are about to do something potentially beneficial
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as We say!'

Re: Broadcom wireless "Airport Extreme" (was: PPC laptops)

Matthew East
On Sat, 2006-01-21 at 16:38 +0100, Keywan Najafi Tonekaboni wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> Am Freitag, den 20.01.2006, 12:55 +0000 schrieb Paul Sladen:
>
> > > wireless with AirportExtreme (but not with an official kernel).
> >
> > Is this using the bcm4300 driver from:
> >
> >   http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/
> >
> > Did it work out of the box and which 802.11 stack did you use, Devicescape
> > or Softmac?
>
> yes, I use the bcm43xx driver and softmac. There are debian packages
> avaible for ubuntu, a friend built them.
There was also a guide added to the wiki for this, have a look at:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WifiDocs/AirportExtreme

Maybe you can check it out and make sure it works :)

Matt
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF

Re: Broadcom wireless "Airport Extreme" (was: PPC laptops)

Keywan Najafi Tonekaboni
Hi Matthew,

Am Samstag, den 21.01.2006, 18:47 +0000 schrieb Matthew East:
> There was also a guide added to the wiki for this, have a look at:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WifiDocs/AirportExtreme
>
> Maybe you can check it out and make sure it works :)

Thank you for this advice. The guide looks very good. I add a link from
the iBook-page to this guide.

Regards,

Keywan