Re: Proposal: Kubuntu Branded Developer Laptop

Re: Proposal: Kubuntu Branded Developer Laptop

Mike Mikowski
Thank you Ovidiu! We will have a test machine shopping here now, and should have it loaded by next week. I've also created some visual mockups for everyone's review. I hope this would be a great opportunity to help all involved with my favorite distro!

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019, 23:38 Ovidiu-Florin Bogdan <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello everybody,

Michael contacted me yesterday, since my contact details are on the Kubuntu website. He wants to start a company selling Kubuntu branded laptops, and part of the income to come to Kubuntu.

He tried several times to send this email to the Kubuntu devel list and has been bounced. I'm giving him a hand to reach you guys.

Regards,

Ovidiu

Date: Thursday, October 24, 2019, 5:51:57 PM PDT
From: Michael S. Mikowski <[hidden email]>
To: Valorie Zimmerman <[hidden email]>
CC: [hidden email]

Hi Valorie and Rohangarg:

Sorry if this is a repeat. I had a number of bounces due to the mailing list.
Just to be sure, here is the proposal again. If I should send this to someone
else, please let me know.

Our company (MindShareManagement Inc., a California company) is interested in
providing an official Kubuntu 19.10 developer laptop for sale.  We can fund the
the project, create the sales site, coordinate marketing, and provide software
support. We would share the profits with the Kubuntu organization. Kubuntu
would provide the the branding, a prominent landing page, and link to the
sales site.

I've spent a month consolidating 25 years of  experience of using Unix and
Linux to create numerous commercial sites (many HP/HA) into a laptop image
well suited for web developers.  We could begin low-volume shipment in as
little as two weeks.

Please visit https://mmikowski.github.io/k19-10-guide/ and
especially https://mmikowski.github.io/k19-10-guide/#appendix-c to see what I
have put together.  We have already arrange an OEM, shipping, and branding
logistics and have test hardware in shipment.

While its obvious we intend to ship this laptop one way or another, I think
the links above show how well suited we are for each other. We ship pure
Kubuntu 19.10 but with a practical approach to what developers need to get
their done with the greatest efficiency and enjoyment.

I have spoken with Ovidiu-Florin Bogdan who is copied above.  I believe with
Catalina currently upsetting everyone in Silicon Valley, there is no better
time than now to have a Kubuntu branded developer laptop on the market. This
offer can provide significant income to Kubuntu. Please call or write ASAP as
time is of the essence.

Sincerely, Michael S. Mikowski
415-418-4731

Re: Proposal: Kubuntu Branded Developer Laptop

Mike Mikowski
Hi Aaron:

Thank you for asking!  I was Ovidiu mentioned there was an Aaron involved. Here are some initial renderings.

https://michaelmikowski.com/img/kubuntu-laptop-02.png

Of course, everything is open for discussion. We might just want to go with a simple single Kubuntu logo in the center.  Sometimes, more is less.
Also, since we are a) targeting people who work or aspire to work in Silicon Valley, and b) people here are totally vain, we might want to call it 'Silicon Valley Edition' so something similar.

We can't do much about the LED bling on the cover. However, with reasonable sales we can probably talk to the OEM about that.

Sincerely, Mike

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 2:38 PM Mike Mikowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Aaroun:

Thank you for asking!  I was Ovidiu mentioned there was an Aaron involved.

Here are some initial renderings. Of course, everything is open for discussion. We might just want to go with a simple single Kubuntu logo in the center.  Sometimes, more is less.

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 11:04 AM Aaron Honeycutt <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yes, that is correct.  The hardware without OS should be here tomorrow. I have
a commitment for 10 to start.  I agree with your thoughts.

1. The logo is a bit too large.

2. The 'Web App Developer Edition' text is so mundane. I'd rather go with
something else.  Maybe just to logo, or just the logo with 'Kubuntu' or
perhaps Kubuntu with a subtitle of 'Silicon Valley One' (I know, corny
right?). Maybe we keep sketching a few up and figure out what's the best
choice.

3. I believe we can swap out the lid for something with less bling, but I have
not enquired as of yet.

Sincerely, Mike

On Friday, October 25, 2019 6:28:24 PM PDT Aaron Honeycutt wrote:
> So that OEM would be Clevo/Sager correct? I would personally go with a
> smaller logo and smaller text as well though the 'Web App' text is a bit
> odd. You'll also need to flip it so that the text is readable is someone
> sees the laptop lid. I believe that the LED on the cover is from the LCD
> panel.

Re: Proposal: Kubuntu Branded Developer Laptop

Jussi Schultink-2

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 6:37 AM Michael S. Mikowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Aaron:

Yes, that is correct.  The hardware without OS should be here tomorrow. I have
a commitment for 10 to start.  I agree with your thoughts.

1. The logo is a bit too large.

2. The 'Web App Developer Edition' text is so mundane. I'd rather go with
something else.  Maybe just to logo, or just the logo with 'Kubuntu' or
perhaps Kubuntu with a subtitle of 'Silicon Valley One' (I know, corny
right?). Maybe we keep sketching a few up and figure out what's the best
choice.
Is "Frendly Computing" a slogan we still use? Maybe that could be used instead of that web app mouthful?

3. I believe we can swap out the lid for something with less bling, but I have
not enquired as of yet.
The rainbow keypad is a bit tacky IMHO, but that is very much just my 2c.

Sincerely, Mike

Cheers,

Jussi
On Friday, October 25, 2019 6:28:24 PM PDT Aaron Honeycutt wrote:
> So that OEM would be Clevo/Sager correct? I would personally go with a
> smaller logo and smaller text as well though the 'Web App' text is a bit
> odd. You'll also need to flip it so that the text is readable is someone
> sees the laptop lid. I believe that the LED on the cover is from the LCD
> panel.

Re: Proposal: Kubuntu Branded Developer Laptop

Mike Mikowski
Hi Jussi:

I just put the keyboard controls in the image. By default it now has a very for white back light. For those who like bling, there are all sorts of controls to turn the LEDs multiple colors. Conversely, they can be done or disabled completely with just a key stroke.

It looks like the logo only is the best option using a simple silver cutout design. I can make another mockups. Lots of letters isn't a good idea. The logo would be raised metal and very sturdy.

Thanks for the feedback Jussi. We are well capitalized and want to get this out in volume before the holidays if not sooner!

Cheers, Mike

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019, 22:45 Jussi Schultink <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 6:37 AM Michael S. Mikowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Aaron:

Yes, that is correct.  The hardware without OS should be here tomorrow. I have
a commitment for 10 to start.  I agree with your thoughts.

1. The logo is a bit too large.

2. The 'Web App Developer Edition' text is so mundane. I'd rather go with
something else.  Maybe just to logo, or just the logo with 'Kubuntu' or
perhaps Kubuntu with a subtitle of 'Silicon Valley One' (I know, corny
right?). Maybe we keep sketching a few up and figure out what's the best
choice.
Is "Frendly Computing" a slogan we still use? Maybe that could be used instead of that web app mouthful?

3. I believe we can swap out the lid for something with less bling, but I have
not enquired as of yet.
The rainbow keypad is a bit tacky IMHO, but that is very much just my 2c.

Sincerely, Mike

Cheers,

Jussi
On Friday, October 25, 2019 6:28:24 PM PDT Aaron Honeycutt wrote:
> So that OEM would be Clevo/Sager correct? I would personally go with a
> smaller logo and smaller text as well though the 'Web App' text is a bit
> odd. You'll also need to flip it so that the text is readable is someone
> sees the laptop lid. I believe that the LED on the cover is from the LCD
> panel.

Re: Proposal: Kubuntu Branded Developer Laptop

Mike Mikowski
Please see the latest mockup below. The emblems are laser cut and around 1.5mm thick.

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 12:42 AM Mike Mikowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jussi:

I just put the keyboard controls in the image. By default it now has a very for white back light. For those who like bling, there are all sorts of controls to turn the LEDs multiple colors. Conversely, they can be done or disabled completely with just a key stroke.

It looks like the logo only is the best option using a simple silver cutout design. I can make another mockups. Lots of letters isn't a good idea. The logo would be raised metal and very sturdy.

Thanks for the feedback Jussi. We are well capitalized and want to get this out in volume before the holidays if not sooner!

Cheers, Mike

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019, 22:45 Jussi Schultink <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 6:37 AM Michael S. Mikowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Aaron:

Yes, that is correct.  The hardware without OS should be here tomorrow. I have
a commitment for 10 to start.  I agree with your thoughts.

1. The logo is a bit too large.

2. The 'Web App Developer Edition' text is so mundane. I'd rather go with
something else.  Maybe just to logo, or just the logo with 'Kubuntu' or
perhaps Kubuntu with a subtitle of 'Silicon Valley One' (I know, corny
right?). Maybe we keep sketching a few up and figure out what's the best
choice.
Is "Frendly Computing" a slogan we still use? Maybe that could be used instead of that web app mouthful?

3. I believe we can swap out the lid for something with less bling, but I have
not enquired as of yet.
The rainbow keypad is a bit tacky IMHO, but that is very much just my 2c.

Sincerely, Mike

Cheers,

Jussi
On Friday, October 25, 2019 6:28:24 PM PDT Aaron Honeycutt wrote:
> So that OEM would be Clevo/Sager correct? I would personally go with a
> smaller logo and smaller text as well though the 'Web App' text is a bit
> odd. You'll also need to flip it so that the text is readable is someone
> sees the laptop lid. I believe that the LED on the cover is from the LCD
> panel.

Re: Proposal: Kubuntu Branded Developer Laptop

ovidiub13
Now that is a sexy laptop.

Vin, 1 nov. 2019, 02:52 Mike Mikowski <[hidden email]> a scris: