Re: Remove Python2 for 18.04?

flocculant
Not sure if any of this gnome language stuff is going to cause us issue
like it has in the past. re trusty LTS bug(s)

Never really sure about any gnome statements that it ' only affects us'
things anymore, consequently forwarding to us.

starting to think the same about mainbuntu - don't believe anything
deliberate, but fairly sure they'd not check either.

Kev

On 27/10/17 22:49, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:

> On 2017-10-27 21:22, Bryan Quigley wrote:
>>
>> * ibus-sunpinyin
>>
>> Was added 9/2017 [2] as part of moving from fcitx.
>
> Right. Choosing ibus-sunpinyin was not preceded by any deeper
> considerations. It was the preferred input method last time Ubuntu's
> default IM framework for Simplified Chinese was IBus, and has been
> pulled by language-selector (pkg_depends) after that for Ubuntu GNOME.
>
>> This package hasn't been updated since 2013.  Previously we've added
>> it to the desktop session and then removed for ibus-pinyin for size
>> (and in this case it seems better maintained).
>
> GNOME seems to default to ibus-libpinyin:
>
> https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-desktop/tree/libgnome-desktop/default-input-sources.h
>

> That would speak for replacing ibus-sunpinyin with ibus-libpinyin on
> both the live CD and language-selector. But we should probably try to
> get opinions from some Chinese users before making this change.

Re: Remove Python2 for 18.04?

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Hi Kev,

In 17.10 Ubuntu switched from Fcitx to IBus as default IM framework for
CJKV languages because of limitations in the GNOME environment (Wayland,
gnome-shell, gnome-control-center...).

Please note that this change does not affect the flavors at this time.
Fcitx is still the default IM framework for CJKV languages in Xubuntu,
Lubuntu, MATE etc. (and, of course, in Kylin), since Fcitx is still
(AFAIK) considered preferable by affected users in the Ubuntu community.

Rgds,

/ Gunnar